6X5 Thread V3.0

jbell

Gunny Sergeant
Jan 16, 2010
Lewiston, ME
So my new rimfire is finally complete, maybe (I am still trying to decide if I want to bed it or not). Here are the details:

-Anschutz 1827B action
-5020 trigger set fairly heavy
-Benchmark 3 groove 15 twist @ 26 5/8" installed by Mark Penrod
-Champions Choice bloop tube (for shooting with irons)
-Anschutz 1907 stock that I modified for the repeater action
-DIP 25 MOA pic rail
-Nightforce ATACR F1 Mil-R 4-16X42
-APA rings
-Harris BR-S bipod

I have not been shooting much this year at all, so I am pretty rusty overall. I have not lot tested any ammo through this rifle, and the Eley target has 2 different lots in there. Today was not a great day to test accuracy, but I rarely have a chance to shoot I just had to suck it up. The weather today was in the low to mid 70's with 0-10 MPH winds that were switching from 3 to 6 to 9 O'clock. Basically it was a tough day to shoot rimfire at 100 yards. My process today was whenever the wind either dropped off or held a steady blow I would run a group as fast as I could to keep the conditions. You can clearly see this in the POI shifts and erratic flyers, but it gave me a good indicator that this may be a good shooter. I am especially pleased that it shoots Center X as well as or almost as well as Eley Match (black box). Everything was shot @ 100 yards prone with a small TAB bag and bipod as seen in the picture.

There will be more to come. I am looking forward to putting irons on it and slinging up prone!

IMG950443.jpg

IMG950485.jpg

FullSizeR.jpg

IMG950488.jpg

Oct 17, 2013
Morehead, KY
Nice rifle JB. I too have not got to shoot much this year so far. The Winter/Spring was cold, rainy and blustery and we never had a calm day. Summer has been HOT, wet, and stormy and again we have rarely had a calm day. I just got back from a week in MOAB and am still marveling at the open spaces out there.

Irish

jbell

Gunny Sergeant
Jan 16, 2010
Lewiston, ME
Nice rifle JB. I too have not got to shoot much this year so far. The Winter/Spring was cold, rainy and blustery and we never had a calm day. Summer has been HOT, wet, and stormy and again we have rarely had a calm day. I just got back from a week in MOAB and am still marveling at the open spaces out there.

Irish

Thank you Irish!
Are you wheeling in MOAB, mountain biking, or just hanging out? I am into the first two almost in excess. Training for and racing my bike is the primary reason I haven't been shooting much. Maybe we have discussed this in the past, if so I apologize (I have a short memory sometimes...). None the less I would love to get out to MOAB and ride the Whole Enchilada! Here is my current race bike and my Jeep that I have been teaching my girls to drive and do some wheeling here in Maine:

IMG950515.jpg
IMG950362.jpg

Apr 17, 2010
Astoria, Or.
jbell, that's an unusual build. I will watch with interest as you shake it out.

I take it the picture is Emily and Peyton. I know the original 6x5 was some five years ago but they've gone from little kids to young ladies. I clearly remember the seven and eight year old that were ahead of me in the standings. I was in my mid sixties then but looking at those two now puts in a different perspective. I really am old. :):)

jbell

Gunny Sergeant
Jan 16, 2010
Lewiston, ME
Very cool JBell!

The bike intrigues me quite a bit. I've been looking at them trying to decide the route to go for getting started without having buyer's remorse later on.
I have been addicted to bikes (of all kinds) since 1991, so I have a pretty good grasp on the community. I am constantly building new bikes and selling old ones (by old I mean like 1 year or less, I have issues). So if you ever have any questions feel free to give me a shout any time! Ill get you my cell and you can call or text me as much as you want, I love talking bikes & guns...

jbell

Gunny Sergeant
Jan 16, 2010
Lewiston, ME
jbell, that's an unusual build. I will watch with interest as you shake it out.

I take it the picture is Emily and Peyton. I know the original 6x5 was some five years ago but they've gone from little kids to young ladies. I clearly remember the seven and eight year old that were ahead of me in the standings. I was in my mid sixties then but looking at those two now puts in a different perspective. I really am old. :):)

HA, good memory! Yes Emily (my youngest who is about to turn 12 on Saturday) is in the blue jacket, and Payton my oldest is in yellow is now 13!! It is crazy how fast time goes by. It is so fun teaching them to drive the Jeep and how to respect it when off in the gnarly stuff in 4 low with the lockers in. They are getting the hang of it pretty fast. However I think this winter they may be leaning how to put a clutch in it, HAHA!

Thanks for the comments guys! It would be so cool if some day we (those of us who have been around a while) could get together and sling some lead. If anyone is ever in Maine please reach out, I would love to at least meet up over a coffee or beer.

Oct 17, 2013
Morehead, KY
JB, We were 4x4ing on some of the trails out in MOAB. I had bought an old Isuzu Trooper out in Idaho in May to go fly fishing in Montana. I ended up leaving it in Ogden, UT to do some work on it by a mechanic I met out there. Once fully up to snuff for cross country, the wife and I flew out to pick it up and terrorize MOAB's trails, some of which frankly terrorized me. Great fun. I wish I had allocated more time for MOAB as it has way more to offer than I had ever imagined. We then drove cross country stopping in the Rockies for more fishing and mountain climbing. I used to ride road bicycles but never got into the mtn bike thing. I stopped a couple of years ago due to a health issue that was getting aggravated by the bike. Glad to see that you are teaching your young ladies how to drive at an early age. I did that with my kids too. We do need to figure out some way to get together before we are all too old, lol. My annual treks to New England have been placed on hold for a few years with the arrival of two new grand babies and my wife's maternal desire to baby sit every day. But when we do head back that way, I will let you know. We travel a lot and love Maine. And since I took up fly fishing, I really want to explore it more.

I attached a couple of pics from MOAB. In one you can see the trail at the bottom of the canyon about a mile away. You cannot imagine the gnarly stuff we had to drive across to get there. One lane wide, no guard rail, no parachute and about a 1000 ft shear drop to the bottom. I don't have any decent pics of the truck. It is a faded old desert rat but gets around good. The whole time I was out there, I kept saying, I wish I had my long range rifle with me. You can shoot for miles out there.

Irish

Attachments

jbell

Gunny Sergeant
Jan 16, 2010
Lewiston, ME
So awesome man! I fly fish up here some, but I feel like North GA, East TN, West NC, & PA have better stream fly fishing. But Maine is pretty sweet!

Sound like a great trip y’all had!

jbell

Gunny Sergeant
Jan 16, 2010
Lewiston, ME
I was able to get out and try the Anschutz at 230 yards today. The weather was a bit unforgiving, challenging to say the least. With one front moving out and another coming in the winds kicked my ass. It would be steady full value one minute and then come right at me the next anywhere from 4 to 10 mph. My method for dealing with it was to pick a condition and put 5 rounds on target before it changed, so I was shooting pretty damn fast. It is a good thing the Anschutz feeds and ejects like a boss!

It isn't anything impressive at all but here it is:

FullSizeR12.jpg
Here is one of the rifle and my shooting position:

IMG_0580.jpg

I am looking forward to getting out with a little better conditions soon. The top 3 targets were shot with Center X and the bottom 3 were Lapua Midas + for reference.

Mar 20, 2017
I was able to get out and try the Anschutz at 230 yards today. The weather was a bit unforgiving, challenging to say the least. With one front moving out and another coming in the winds kicked my ass. It would be steady full value one minute and then come right at me the next anywhere from 4 to 10 mph. My method for dealing with it was to pick a condition and put 5 rounds on target before it changed, so I was shooting pretty damn fast. It is a good thing the Anschutz feeds and ejects like a boss!

It isn't anything impressive at all but here it is:

Here is one of the rifle and my shooting position:

I am looking forward to getting out with a little better conditions soon. The top 3 targets were shot with Center X and the bottom 3 were Lapua Midas + for reference.
Nice shooting...At that distance, way too many variables to deal with. That is a heck of a rifle. What bore guide do you use for your 54 action?

Top Bottom