6mm Dasher

May 30, 2010
Australia
I don't have enough rounds on mine to comment. I'm using AR2208 (Varget) and AR2209 (H4350) behind 105gr Berger Hybs. I have a short freebore - .104". 32.5gr Varget and 36gr of H4350 shoot to exact same point of impact at 100m.

Those using H4895 (AR2206H in Australia) any comment on the below thread? A number of dasher shooters in Aus appear to have increased throat wear running that powder - it appears contrary to Josh's experience stating Varget was torching throats.

http://ozfclass.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6497&sid=2987b2f645604d3d558c7f617ce7b59d&start=15

bohem

PVA's HMFIC
Jan 6, 2009
Southeast, PA
www.patriotvalleyarms.com
I ran Varget. It was very inconsistent in lot to lot burn rates, enough that I was struggling to keep a load in tune with it. I had issues finding Varget and when I could get a couple pounds here and that that was good but tuning a load every 250-300rds is why I got away from the other 6's I shot. The Varget was also prone to producing nasty carbon rings in the throat that had to be consistently maintained or the thing would start shotgunning.

I also ran H4895 and it was super accurate, very easy to load and plenty temp stable. It's a little on the fast side for the 105's adn definitely too fast for the 110s/115's but it was available and I could get 16lb of it in a single lot, that was enough to have the barrel mostly smoked (2800rd). The Varget barrel life was better but at an increased maintenance rate that I wasn't a fan of.

I run IMR 4166 currently and I'm liking it a lot. The 4166 gives me a little more speed than the Varget, less pressure than both Varget and H4895, it doesn't seem to be anywhere near as prone to carbon ringing a throat like Varget was, and it's readily available because it's produced domestically.

Feb 13, 2017
Orange Park,FL
I ran Varget. It was very inconsistent in lot to lot burn rates, enough that I was struggling to keep a load in tune with it. I had issues finding Varget and when I could get a couple pounds here and that that was good but tuning a load every 250-300rds is why I got away from the other 6's I shot. The Varget was also prone to producing nasty carbon rings in the throat that had to be consistently maintained or the thing would start shotgunning.

I also ran H4895 and it was super accurate, very easy to load and plenty temp stable. It's a little on the fast side for the 105's adn definitely too fast for the 110s/115's but it was available and I could get 16lb of it in a single lot, that was enough to have the barrel mostly smoked (2800rd). The Varget barrel life was better but at an increased maintenance rate that I wasn't a fan of.

I run IMR 4166 currently and I'm liking it a lot. The 4166 gives me a little more speed than the Varget, less pressure than both Varget and H4895, it doesn't seem to be anywhere near as prone to carbon ringing a throat like Varget was, and it's readily available because it's produced domestically.

This is why I love this sport. Gunsmiths who take the time to share their experiences and knowledge. I appreciate everyone else's replies as well. This is a great place for me to start. Looks like I'll be picking up some IMR 4166 to try along with as much varget as I can find.

Thanks guys!

Nov 23, 2010
Missouri

What about RL15?

What kind of max load with the IMR 4166 for the 105 and 110gr bullets?

Thx

bab029

Hammer Mechanic
May 16, 2011
Louisiana
Several folks out here shoot jlk. I hear that they are the next step up from Berger/Sierra etc. in all aspects. But you have to order ahead and get enough to last. It’s a one man show.

Feb 13, 2017
How are the 105 JLK's compared to the hybrids? Doesn't seem like many people run the JLK's.
105 jlks shoot great! They used the same exact powder load in two of my dashers as the 105 hybrid and at the same speed. However they shot considerably slower in another barrel (3 groove) compared to 105 hybrids with the same exact charge. Either way they shoot well jumped .015-.025. Brian Allen and the Allen clan exclusively shoot JLK bullets. Dan Bertocchini shoots the 110s inhis dasher and gets phenomenal results. It’s crazy how consistent their base to ogive length is and you can see those results with how consistent you seat and group. But yeah order now don’t hesitate and expect 2-4 months of waiting