6 Creedmoor Freebore - .120" with various bullets

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm having a 6 Creed chambered. My smith seated a 115 DTAC and sent it off to have a reamer made. They responded back quickly that they already had a reamer for this. It is a .120" I see a lot of misinformation on the internet about 6 Creed freebores and thought I'd post pics of all of the bullets I've measured. My smith chambered a barrel stub with the reamer and I used a split neck case to push the bullet into the case seating the bullet against the lands into the neck. When I remove the case you can see where the bullet will sit in the neck at the lands in a .120 FB. I marked the the body/ boattail junction with a thin black permanent marker. You can see it in contrast to the neck shoulder junction which I also marked. Thought it would be helpful for folks.

115 DTAC

105 HYBRID

108 ELD M

103 ELDX

107 SMK

110 SMK

95 TMK

87 VMAX

75 VMAX

95 Nosler BT

105 BTHP

108 Berger BT

Last edited:

Geno C.

Dirty Carnie (ICLASA)
Belligerents
Oct 24, 2007
Wautoma, WI
Looks like a winner to me. Since a dtac was sent in, I assume that's what you want to be shooting. There is a big difference if you wanting to shoot light bullets

jpndave

Private
Belligerents
Jun 7, 2009
[B]reubenski[/B] Thanks for posting this up, extremely helpful information. I am looking for a reamer to chamber a custom lever rifle in 6 Creedmoor and don't want the excessive throat of SAAMI spec reamer.

There is a 0.275 neck 0.109 PT&G reamer readily available but I'm not certain I want to go that tight on both of those dimensions. I am planning Atlas brass (Loaded Diameter .271" Dia. Tolerance +/- .0005) and 108 ELD-M, hopefully. Mags are modified to accept ~2.91 max COL. What company had/has the 0.120 throat reamer you used in stock? Do you know what the neck diameter is?

Reactions: reubenski

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
[B]reubenski[/B] Thanks for posting this up, extremely helpful information. I am looking for a reamer to chamber a custom lever rifle in 6 Creedmoor and don't want the excessive throat of SAAMI spec reamer.

There is a 0.275 neck 0.109 PT&G reamer readily available but I'm not certain I want to go that tight on both of those dimensions. I am planning Atlas brass (Loaded Diameter .271" Dia. Tolerance +/- .0005) and 108 ELD-M, hopefully. Mags are modified to accept ~2.91 max COL. What company had/has the 0.120 throat reamer you used in stock? Do you know what the neck diameter is?
After having a .120 and a .130 I think a .140 or so would be about perfect for 115 DTACs. The .109 would definitely stifle that case. BUT... you could purchase a hand-throater to go with it and throat it out as you like. As far as the neck diameter a .275 is pretty standard for these big 6's. My Dashers and BRs are at .268" on a loaded neck. My SLR and Creed are .270 loaded. I think a .275 would be good.

FishDr

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 10, 2014
West KY
Excellent Post. I wish I had seen this before I had a 6 CM chambered up. WIll probably wind up running the DTAC, but I WANTED to run the 105 RDF. But maybe next year.... they still burn quickly! Great info. Thanks Reubenski

Reactions: reubenski

jpndave

Private
Belligerents
Jun 7, 2009
Thanks for the clarification reubenski

I will not be shooting DTACs (hunting application). It looks like all of the other bullets would benefit from the shorter throat to place the boat tail/shoulder junction in a better place. My preference is the 108 ELD-M if the barrels likes it.

By stifling the case I suspect you mean that the DTAC is down into the powder column and compromising powder capacity especially with slower powders?

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Yes. I have a hunting rifle in .120 FB. 22" Proof Carbon. I maxed out on pressure using Peterson brass and 105 class bullets at 2850 using 4831SC. I shoot 95gr TGKs at 3050 using 40.5gr H4350. 95gr Berger Classic Hunters are at 3000fps with 40.3gr. IIRC I got 2950 with Berger 108BTs using 4350. Definitely a little on the anemic side. That Peterson brass is super thick and seems to pressure fast. I also can't rule out that barrel. It is picky as hell and slow.

But yes, I would agree for light hunting bullets the shorter FB would be best. If you have any designs of shooting Vmax's you must have a very short FB or jump them two miles. Ironically I have found the 95 TGKs to be so explosive I don't think I'd need a Vmax for varmints

Reactions: jpndave

jpndave

Private
Belligerents
Jun 7, 2009
I have heard that about the Peterson brass. The Alpha is supposed to be more case capacity and hopefully will allow better fill. I think Lapua is similar also. I'm really torn on this throat issue, seems to be a very large range in some of these new bullets.

I've seen the 90gr TGK and a 95gr TMK. Haven't seen a 95 TGK. So much for controlled expansion if they are that explosive.

Last edited:

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I have head that about the Peterson brass. The Alpha is supposed to be more case capacity and hopefully will allow better fill. I think Lapua is similar also. I'm really torn on this throat issue, seems to be a very large range in some of these new bullets.

I've seen the 90gr TGK and a 95gr TMK. Haven't seen a 95 TGK. So much for controlled expansion if they are that explosive.
You are correct. It's a 90gr bullet.

I bought 100rds of each, Peterson Lapua and Alpha. The first two were pretty similar. Alpha measured well and had more capacity. I use Alpha in my match barrel.

Reactions: jpndave

jpndave

Private
Belligerents
Jun 7, 2009
Sounds like Alpha is the way to go. I'm hoping for 3000fps+ out of a 22" Bartlein 8-1/2 to 7-1/2 twist using the 108 ELD-M and RL26 in Alpha SRP brass.

jpndave

Private
Belligerents
Jun 7, 2009
That damage is insane for that bullet. What was that critter? How far/fast was the impact?

That looks awesome for varmints, not so much for bigger stuff depending on how far it penatrates.

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
That damage is insane for that bullet. What was that critter? How far/fast was the impact?

That looks awesome for varmints, not so much for bigger stuff depending on how far it penatrates.
It was a whitetail at about 20yds. Big doe. I hit her once walking. She ducked her head and picked up her pace so I hit her again and it knocked her off her feet and she died instantly. I think what you're seeing is the second bullet; it hit a rib. The other bullet just entered, thru, and exited. Kind of a night and day difference. Not overly impressed with the bullet but I think it really speaks to how variable bullet performance can be.