6.5 PRC Issues

gpr

Private
Feb 21, 2017
I wanted to hear from other owners of 6.5 PRC's. Shooting Hornady factory ammo, do you have ejector swipes?

On my 6.5 prc I have been fighting it for about a year. I sent the barreled action back to the place that made the barrel, so they could inspect it. I am getting ejector swipes bad enough that the brass is flowing into the hole and jamming up the ejector, thus won't eject the cartridges. The primer is slightly flattening but not cratering.

The barrel, headspace, action etc... all check out fine, but it still gets ejector swipes. I always hear Hornady typically loads hot and has soft brass, do you think this is my issue? I am shooting Hornady 147eld Match factory ammo, has anyone else had this issue with factory ammo?

Sticks

New Hide Member
Oct 5, 2018
Pondwater Colorado
Other than huge ES/SD numbers, I have not had any issues. What is the Lot # of the ammo?

I recently bought some Hornady brass as I found a sweet spot for reloads, and evidently one box of those cases is showing the same symptoms, just not as bad (ejector swipe only, slightly sticky bolt). My load is running 3020 - about the same as Factory - and is 1.xx grains under max. Now that I have a stockpile I can start weighing cases to see if I have a large variance and get a group for matches.

Of the factory ammo that I am reloading, I am on #3 with some and no problems with it yet.

gpr

Private
Feb 21, 2017
My average velocity is 2942fps, SD 14.45. This is a 26" barrel. Ammo Lot# 3173604.

Makes me nervous to shoot it with ejector swipes showing high pressure. Also when reloading it makes it difficult to read pressure when the brass already has high pressure signs!

Sticks, did your factory ammo show signs of high pressure? or just your reloads? How long of barrel are you running for 3020fps?

Nov 5, 2013
mine has been fine

22" barrel

143s running 2850 and 147s going 2730...no swipes or flat primers with the saami spec reamer

what reamer was used? possibly one with a tighter neck or shorter freebore?

gpr

Private
Feb 21, 2017
It was a Manson reamer. I can't remember what the jump to the lands are off hand. I have it written down at home. But it wasn't the issue PT&G's short freebore reamers where factory ammo would be shoved into the lands, if that is what you are asking for. (i verified this wouldn't be an issue when having the barrel made)

Sticks

New Hide Member
Oct 5, 2018
Pondwater Colorado
Sticks, did your factory ammo show signs of high pressure? or just your reloads? How long of barrel are you running for 3020fps?
Barrel was made my MPA, and 26" . IIRC my lands are at 2.230. - like you, written down so I don't have to remember and I am not at home.

The ejector marks on the brass was only on a select portion of my reloads. I bought 200 cases and all used the same Federal Primers, and same lot of RL26 (multiple 1# bottles is all I could find locally) All others (factory, reloaded factory, and the rest of my virgin brass) are fine, primers still round, no ejector marks, no primer cratering. I was done with my LabRadar, so I don't know if my velocities reflected the pressure signs.

I did not check the lot numbers on my brass, nor any other pre inspection. I foolishly assumed that as they were all bought from the same place at the same time that they would be the same lot, and they may be.

Feb 21, 2017
Here are a few pictures of the brass I shot. This is 10 rounds fired and 3 close ups of the worse cases. It is still leaving small shavings on the bolt face. Is this something I should be worried about?

I'm wondering if I got a bad lot # of ammo? As everything on the action/barrel has checked out multiple times. Its frustrating when shooting and the ejector gets stuck.

Attachments

Sticks

New Hide Member
Oct 5, 2018
Pondwater Colorado
I would measure where your lands are, or mark a bullet up with a sharpie and cycle it through and see if you are getting marks from the lands or throat. Something is causing an over pressure. Measure the COAL when after you do this as well.

I forgot to look this thread up when I was home over the weekend and look at my case lot #.

Sticks

New Hide Member
Oct 5, 2018
Pondwater Colorado
Well, as far as I know, Hornady is the only factory ammo on the market at the moment.

Find some that is a different lot number, or try the 143 ELDX hunting food they have out.

...Or do a load workup with a powder on their list and see if your velocities match and where the pressure signs start.