6.5 build questions.

SamBlankenship

Sergeant of the Hide
Oct 4, 2018
Princeton West Virginia
Buulding a 6.5 creedmoore what are some of the best proven barrels, whats the best barrel for the money? Im looking to build a decent budget build that if i wanted to take out to 1000 yards it would be possible. Whats the best Length , contour ect.... also would it be better to build it on a bolt action or on a AR10 Platform? I have both a rem 700 action and a AR10 Upper not sure which route to go with it. Any ideas. Help with this would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

LucasJ1990

Sergeant of the Hide
Nov 28, 2018
Owensboro, Kentucky
Bartlien, Proof, Krieger and a few others all make similar barrels. I personally don't think you can go wrong with any of the more popular barrels. Proof would be the way to go if you wanted CF.

Medium and heavy Palma are very popular and m24 is popular with the PRS world (from what I have seen).

I would personally want a bolt gun with a 6.5 CM because of the capabilities of the cartridge, but it is personal preference.

SamBlankenship

Sergeant of the Hide
Oct 4, 2018
Princeton West Virginia
Bartlien, Proof, Krieger and a few others all make similar barrels. I personally don't think you can go wrong with any of the more popular barrels. Proof would be the way to go if you wanted CF.

Medium and heavy Palma are very popular and m24 is popular with the PRS world (from what I have seen).

I would personally want a bolt gun with a 6.5 CM because of the capabilities of the cartridge, but it is personal preference.
Im thinking bolt gun also. Forgot to mention its mainly gonna be a hunting rig but the farm lands i hunt its possible for a 750-800 yard coyote shot almost anywhere. And plenty of 400-500 yard shots on deer.

MinnesotaMulisha

Head MF Door Keeper
Jul 30, 2013
Lincoln, NE
If you're looking to build a bolt gun, are you going custom action or factory?

A factory Tikka will do what you want to all day long. The CTR comes threaded and you can drop it in a variety of chassis, if that's your thing. Or you could put it in a traditional stock from Manners/McMillan or the like.

SamBlankenship

Sergeant of the Hide
Oct 4, 2018
Princeton West Virginia
If you're looking to build a bolt gun, are you going custom action or factory?

A factory Tikka will do what you want to all day long. The CTR comes threaded and you can drop it in a variety of chassis, if that's your thing. Or you could put it in a traditional stock from Manners/McMillan or the like.
I have a donor rem 700 action i will be using for the bolt build if i choose to go that route. Also already have a stock for it if i go with a varmint/Heavy contour barrel

LucasJ1990

Sergeant of the Hide
Nov 28, 2018
Owensboro, Kentucky
I have a donor rem 700 action i will be using for the bolt build if i choose to go that route. Also already have a stock for it if i go with a varmint/Heavy contour barrel
shoot! Nothing wrong with that! That will be a cheap, very nice shooting rifle! Some people may give you crap about the Remington 700 action not being "up to par on quality" with some other actions, but Remington 700 action is still one of the best in my opinion.

Take the extra savings and get the action trued up and it will shoot just as good as any other action out there.

SamBlankenship

Sergeant of the Hide
Oct 4, 2018
Princeton West Virginia
shoot! Nothing wrong with that! That will be a cheap, very nice shooting rifle! Some people may give you crap about the Remington 700 action not being "up to par on quality" with some other actions, but Remington 700 action is still one of the best in my opinion.

Take the extra savings and get the action trued up and it will shoot just as good as any other action out there.
Thanks im partial to rem 700's myself. Also my local Gunsmith will be truing the action and doing all the work and not a bad price i didnt think. Less than $500 to true the action, install the barrel, chamber the barrel, ect.. he quoted $750-$800 if he has to find the barrel. And he recomended shillin barrels for the money but i wanted to pick the brains of the experts here on the hide before i stepped off the deep end. Because i have a feeling this is the begining of the end of my finances haha.

LucasJ1990

Sergeant of the Hide
Nov 28, 2018
Owensboro, Kentucky
Thanks im partial to rem 700's myself. Also my local Gunsmith will be truing the action and doing all the work and not a bad price i didnt think. Less than $500 to true the action, install the barrel, chamber the barrel, ect.. he quoted $750-$800 if he has to find the barrel. And he recomended shillin barrels for the money but i wanted to pick the brains of the experts here on the hide before i stepped off the deep end. Because i have a feeling this is the begining of the end of my finances haha.
I am FAR from an expert, but you really cant go wrong with any of the well known names. You are really getting a deal with this build man!

fdkay

Gunny Sergeant
Nov 27, 2009
Ingleside, Tx
Shilen makes a good tube

Jun 10, 2013
Fenton. michigan
i have used Krieger, shillen, broughton and one being spun up now is a bartlein. All have performed beyond my expectations. I would choose the bolt gun over the gas gun. My experience with a 308 gas gun was, well not as easy as the bolt gun. harder to run faster higher speeds with a gasser. Easier to change loads, bullets with a bolt. gasser needs to be tuned. but that was just my experience with a gas gun. Currently trying it again with a 224 valkyrie. we will see how it goes.

SamBlankenship

Sergeant of the Hide
Oct 4, 2018
Princeton West Virginia
i have used Krieger, shillen, broughton and one being spun up now is a bartlein. All have performed beyond my expectations. I would choose the bolt gun over the gas gun. My experience with a 308 gas gun was, well not as easy as the bolt gun. harder to run faster higher speeds with a gasser. Easier to change loads, bullets with a bolt. gasser needs to be tuned. but that was just my experience with a gas gun. Currently trying it again with a 224 valkyrie. we will see how it goes.
Yeah i was curious about the difference in loads from a bolt gun to ar platform with cycle issues length ect... also just finishing a 224 Valkryie here also. Went with a AR platform with it Ballistics Advantage barrel 24" 1/7 hopefully it will shoot. We shall see.

Dburns

New Hide Member
Jun 21, 2018
I run a rock creek heavy Palma in my 6.5 picked up for $275 barrel comes in at 27 inches chopped it to 24 runs good at 1000 yards

Dburns

New Hide Member
Jun 21, 2018
Not sure if your really going to need that much depends on what your application is but as far as shooting inside 1400 there is nothing wrong with 24

Dburns

New Hide Member
Jun 21, 2018
My buddy got a cheap Ruger American 6.5 creed 22 inch bolt rifle in a trade a few weeks ago and just for shits we took it to the range and put a bender on top to stretch it out and was hitting a 24x36 Consistently last weekend at 1360 $500 rifle couldn’t believe it