308 or 300wm for PRS competitions

LivOutLoud

New Hide Member
Mar 18, 2018
Idaho
I guess I’ll start with a little background since this is my first post.

I have been shooting USPSA and 3 gun for years. My first bolt gun 10 years ago is a 700pss 308, barrel cut to 23” with SS 10x scope that I still shoot. I have always been drawn to long range. I have shot my 308 out to 1000 a good amount the last 10 years. This last year I got the itch to try shooting at a mile and built a custom 300wm with 26” heavy barrel on a trued 700 action with gen 2 razor. I’ve only had it to 1300 so far.

I have only shot one precision match in my life and this year I am feeling the urge to get much more into it. I plan on sending my 308 bolt gun out to have it trued and put a 6.5cm barrel on as well as get a higher end optic for it. That will be a fair amount of money to do, which won’t happen till next year.

So the question is, which will serve me better in a match? The 308 or 300wm? I suspect the awswer might be depending on the match. I know I would not want the 300 if allot of hiking is involved because it is about 21lbs vs the 14lbs 308. That said the 308 is not going to be much help ballistically for me if ranges are beyond 800. Using better bullets for the 308 like flatline would help but not sure that is affordable for me.

I’m really just a precision novice that is rusty at the precision game trying to get better and have fun. Thanks for any help that anyone can lend.

demolitionman

Sergeant of the Hide
Feb 26, 2013
Ohio
So your having your bolt gun barrel changed to 6.5mm, but your asking us if you should use 308 or 300wm? I'm confused. 6.5 over the 30 cals all day for PRS.
Edit;Use the .308 in the meantime. Hell the last match I shot at tvp an ex marine won running a 16"barreled suppressed 308! It's the Indian not the arrow although the 6.5 will make a lot of things easier.

Last edited:

W54/XM-388

Online Training Member
Oct 1, 2005
Dallas, TX
Unless you have to get really far out there, the 300 WM won't be very good for most matches.
You might run into velocity limits on the matches, as well as it's going to beat you up a bit more both in weight & recoil.
For most average matches the 6.5 CM would be more than adequate and is widely used.

Now as to your .308
Lowlight has a couple articles & videos available on the site & if you run a faster twist decent length barrel & run the Warner flatline projectiles, you can for the most part match the ballistics on the 6.5 CM (at a lot more cost and work).

If you are trying to get out to a mile, then the .300 WM would be a good option.

LivOutLoud

New Hide Member
Mar 18, 2018
Idaho
So your having your bolt gun barrel changed to 6.5mm, but your asking us if you should use 308 or 300wm? I'm confused. 6.5 over the 30 cals all day for PRS.
I won’t have the means to change the 308 over to 6.5 till next year. So if I use it this year it’s going to be a 308. This year I will not have access to 6.5 unless I come into allot of extra money and even then it would take most of the summer for it to be worked on anyways.

Rudy Gonsior

Breaker of Things
Jan 3, 2018
Maine
ridgelineshooting.com
I think you need to read his post more carefully. He wants to shoot matches this year, but won't be rebuilding to 6.5CM until next year, curranly has a .308 and .300WM. (Looks like he's spelling out for you so never mind)

As to the OP, I'd go with the .308 unless you were going to a match that was heavy in stages over 1000yrds.

LivOutLoud

New Hide Member
Mar 18, 2018
Idaho
Unless you have to get really far out there, the 300 WM won't be very good for most matches.
You might run into velocity limits on the matches, as well as it's going to beat you up a bit more both in weight & recoil.
For most average matches the 6.5 CM would be more than adequate and is widely used.

Now as to your .308
Lowlight has a couple articles & videos available on the site & if you run a faster twist decent length barrel & run the Warner flatline projectiles, you can for the most part match the ballistics on the 6.5 CM (at a lot more cost and work).

If you are trying to get out to a mile, then the .300 WM would be a good option.
Would a 208 going about 2800 to 2900 be a problem at most matches for fps limits?

So say that I could not or would not want to afford flatline bullets would a 175smk load handicap me allot? It’s a 1-12 twist barrel on the 308.

Jun 7, 2012
The 308 is going to be better pretty much all of the time. Put the Gen II Razor on it.

I shot my 308 Win with just plain jane Federal Gold Medal match and took 24th at a local match with around 100 shooters.

Most targets in matches tend to be well within the capability of 308 Winchester. It's just not forgiving at longer distances.

Jan 1, 2014
NoVa
i'd pick the 300wm just due to better ballistics (you got a longer barrel and can run heavier (higher BC) bullets. as much as that thing weights, recoil shouldn't be too much of a problem. when you switch your 308 to a 6.5 then i'd prob pick the 6.5, though i think the 230 bergers in 300wm still have better bc than 147's in 6.5. one key is if you can spot your hits and misses with your 300, that's pretty important. another thing is really seeing your hits, when that big 300wm 230g or so hits, you (and the spotters) know it, much more so than with a smaller, lighter 6.5 bullet.

most prs matches i've seen (not a lot) have max velocities between 3100 and 3200 (what PRS uses).

Nov 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Would a 208 going about 2800 to 2900 be a problem at most matches for fps limits?

So say that I could not or would not want to afford flatline bullets would a 175smk load handicap me allot? It’s a 1-12 twist barrel on the 308.
308 will do you just fine........6.5 is not THAT much better than .308.

regarding your choice in bullet........175s might work with a 1/12 twist........ive seen guns that shoot it just fine.....while others that have accuracy issues.

175 will be right on the edge of stability.....so youll really have to shoot it and see.

168g SMKs are also a fine choice

if given the choice between 308 and 300.....i would probably choose 300..........youll have the option to shoot heavier bullets with higher BCs

W54/XM-388

Online Training Member
Oct 1, 2005
Dallas, TX
If you have a 1:12 twist .308 most likely the 155 scenars will shoot well and can hit 1000 yards without a problem (at least from a 26" barrel), most likely you can also shoot the 175 just fine.

However a 6.5 CM or shooting the expensive Warner Flatline projectiles will make a big difference when it comes to scoring better once wind and especially non-steady wind comes into play.

A .300 Win Mag shooting good long range bullets will do everything that all the others can and more, you can also load heavier bullets to take care of any velocity restrictions as you mentioned, but in a match where you might have a fairly large amount of rounds fired, it will be a bit more punishing/tiring/costly than several other caliber options.

kRcu

Jun 5, 2013
Denver, CO
I shot my first match with a .308 and did fine. I wasn’t able to spot trace very easily, but as long as I heard “hit” I just moved on. Our match was from 100-800 yds. I’m going to run my new AIAT with its .308 barrel in a couple of matches until I figure out what caliber/length setup I want to do to compliment it.

Statusquo

Online Training Member
Feb 13, 2017
Washington
I guess I’ll start with a little background since this is my first post.

I have been shooting USPSA and 3 gun for years. My first bolt gun 10 years ago is a 700pss 308, barrel cut to 23” with SS 10x scope that I still shoot. I have always been drawn to long range. I have shot my 308 out to 1000 a good amount the last 10 years. This last year I got the itch to try shooting at a mile and built a custom 300wm with 26” heavy barrel on a trued 700 action with gen 2 razor. I’ve only had it to 1300 so far.

I have only shot one precision match in my life and this year I am feeling the urge to get much more into it. I plan on sending my 308 bolt gun out to have it trued and put a 6.5cm barrel on as well as get a higher end optic for it. That will be a fair amount of money to do, which won’t happen till next year.

So the question is, which will serve me better in a match? The 308 or 300wm? I suspect the awswer might be depending on the match. I know I would not want the 300 if allot of hiking is involved because it is about 21lbs vs the 14lbs 308. That said the 308 is not going to be much help ballistically for me if ranges are beyond 800. Using better bullets for the 308 like flatline would help but not sure that is affordable for me.

I’m really just a precision novice that is rusty at the precision game trying to get better and have fun. Thanks for any help that anyone can lend.
Run the .308.

I've shot a .300 in a few matches and while the .300 will be better ballistically, this is a game of recoil management. You will catch of lot of grief from MD's for beating up targets and may even not be allowed to run a magnum at some venues. It may be fun, but the .300 isn't a viable option for standard PRS format matches.

LivOutLoud

New Hide Member
Mar 18, 2018
Idaho
Alright thanks for all the replies! I guess I will play with some different 308 bullets and get a little practice in when it warms up a little.

Aug 22, 2009
Ft.Worth, TX
300 WM will yield better ballistics but will push you around too much with the added recoil. Limiting your ability to spot impacts as well as probably causing a flinch to develop. With your R700 in 308 it is likely a 1:12 twist and you will be limited on how heavy of a projectile it can stabilize. I would also suggest a 155 Lapua Scenar and see if that gives you acceptable accuracy.

Get on the 6.5 train as fast as possible though. If you don't reload or don't want to then Creedmoor is the answer. If you do then I like the 6.5x47L for the ease of load development as well as the accuracy and consistency.