300 PRC in a 24" 1:9 barrel? Disadvantages? Advantages?

TheLionHearted

Private
Belligerents
Oct 14, 2017
Hi all,

I was thinking getting a 24" barrel in 300 PRC with a 1:9 twist. I'm relatively new at shooting bolt actions at long range but will I be losing much with having a 24" barrel?

Also, is 1:9 okay?

Thanks!

catalyst81

Private
Belligerents
May 6, 2012
Utah
What's the purpose of the rifle? Any particular reason you are set on 24"? Just curious. I'm planning on a 26" 1:9 twist target rifle. The thread posted above is long, but there's a lot of great info in it.

TheLionHearted

Private
Belligerents
Oct 14, 2017
What's the purpose of the rifle? Any particular reason you are set on 24"? Just curious. I'm planning on a 26" 1:9 twist target rifle. The thread posted above is long, but there's a lot of great info in it.
Thanks for your reply! The purpose will be both hunting and target shooting.

The rifle will be a Bighorn Origin. I don’t want a heavy rifle that is cumbersome but also want to take it out as far as I can. 24” just seems like the longest length I would be prepared to take it. The only other bolt action I’ve had was a 20” barrel so an extra 6” seems like a lot.

I’m wanting to have it in a more traditional looking aluminum bedded HS Precision type stock for now and when I can afford something more like a Cadex chassis I will buy one and use that chassis for more bench rest type shooting.

b6graham

MMPRL
Belligerents
Jul 29, 2014
if i wasnt carrying it hunting i'd be doing like a 28"-30"

hunting with a proof or 3b, 24" would be more approproate

2Barrels

Private
Belligerents
Mar 7, 2017
You should be fine with a 9T. If you read thru the 30 plus pages of the linked thread, I think you fine comments from Frank Green @ Bartlein regarding the 300PRC/9T combo - all positive.

My just completed 300 PRC build uses a Bartlein 8T Varmint contour finished at 26". Preliminary results lead me to believe that it'll be a shooter - sub 1/2 MOA for the first 10 shots.

hereinaz

I have no idea why I get these new labels...
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2018
Arizona
With a shorter barrel, you just lose a little velocity. I don't know what it is with the 300 PRC, but with a 6.5 cm its about 25 plus or minus fps per inch. Magnums, you might lose a little more, but the PRC tend to be more efficient than other similar designed rifles.

In the end, the only difference will be a velocity and by extension a little more drop and drift at long ranges. Probably outside of what really matters for your purposes.

I thought about going 24" on my hunting rifle, but ended up going 26". I kinda like the idea of a shorty though, so will build one.