300 Norma dies

Mar 18, 2017
Florence, SC
I use a Redding competition seating die with a VLD stem (I shoot Warner Flatlines out of that gun) and their type S full-length sizing die. Results have been great.
Thank you Christopher. I use those dies in other cartridges as well. I'm glad they are working for you in the 300NM. Looking forward to this build.

Mar 18, 2017
Florence, SC
I own about 2 dozen sets of Redding in many cartridges, and I think they’re mediocre. The hornady’s have better dimensions, and a much better internal finish. I also have a few whiddens, and they are very nice.
What about the Reddings you don't like? Not being critical just learning. Thanks.

Sep 6, 2006
Southern California
I think they have an inconsistent internal finish from set to set, which makes them hungry for lube and high effort, and they tend to size more than I want (radially). My Hornady match sets take minimal lube, and literally one finger effort to Fl size a case, even for the Norma mags. My other dies that do that are my Neil Jones customs, and the whiddens. Redding shines in the cartridge menu department though, no doubt. Maybe I’ve just been lucky with my Hornady dies, but I haven’t gotten a mediocre set yet.

Typical Redding, this is a creedmoor
1540085924578.jpeg

Typical Hornady match, this is a 6.5 PRC. I bought this FL sizer on sale at midway for 25 bucks about a month ago.
1540085969421.jpeg
One other thing, the cylindrical Redding expander ball on the fixed rod is notorious for needing a lot of neck lube, and pulling necks off center. The Hornady on the other hand has a floating rod, and a football shaped ball with a very narrow contact point at it’s widest point. Way better design imo.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Houston, TX
I don’t think you need to do that, especially if they’re working for you. Certainly Redding has stomped the rest of the field is sales, but going forward, you should definitely check out Hornady match, whidden, and Forster.
I've had issues with Redding as well. I use all Whidden dies now, they work great.