30-06 any love anymore?

Ledzep

Chancellor
Belligerents
Jun 9, 2009
NE
You can practice the fundamentals all you want. It will make you a better shooter, no doubt. End of the day, though, you hit more targets with a 6 and 6.5mm than you will with a .308. I'm much less optimistic about your assessment of having the top 10 shooters regress to .308. I'd say 2 or 3 of them remain in the top 10, tops. Shooters 11 through 30 aren't that far behind and hit probability on 1-10 is going to take a notable drop.

It's all been done before and proven to be correct. Hit probabilities are mostly dependent on wind calls and the resolution necessary to make hits on a specified target size at a specified range is much higher with a .308 than it is with the smaller, faster, lower drag alternatives. The only thing the 6's and 6.5's lose on is energy (To a point) and barrel life-- neither are huge concerns for plate matches.

You can run some expensive copper solids and bridge the gap a little, but for most the .308 is a step backwards, albeit effective for most all practical purposes.

Reactions: roamin and JakeM

lash

Swamp Rat
Belligerents
Sep 28, 2012
Central Florida
What happened? I came back to this thread to see some pictures of and hear stories about nice ‘06 rifles and I’m reading trolling about why 6mm is better than .308 for PRS?

308 is no longer competitive against other calibers in it's class because math science and physics it has nothing to do with "the fundamentals" and "sponsorships". Yet I see you want to keep that 308 for when "it all crumbles" the zombies come and you're out operating and stackin bodies.
I believe that the thread you are looking for is:

What 4-wheel drive golf cart do you use to carry your 28 pound peashooter, two tripods and 30 bags to the line on the range?
It’s over on the “PRS R Us” forum. I’m sure you will be able to find plenty of people to argue the nuances of equipment carry over there.

So please stop trolling this thread with your useless drivel and let the people with their real rifles enjoy some discussion. Unless of course, you wish to post a picture of your favorite ‘06 for us, of course.

Reactions: DRAGON64 and Dippy

Dippy

Dip
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2019
You can practice the fundamentals all you want. It will make you a better shooter, no doubt. End of the day, though, you hit more targets with a 6 and 6.5mm than you will with a .308. I'm much less optimistic about your assessment of having the top 10 shooters regress to .308. I'd say 2 or 3 of them remain in the top 10, tops. Shooters 11 through 30 aren't that far behind and hit probability on 1-10 is going to take a notable drop.

It's all been done before and proven to be correct. Hit probabilities are mostly dependent on wind calls and the resolution necessary to make hits on a specified target size at a specified range is much higher with a .308 than it is with the smaller, faster, lower drag alternatives. The only thing the 6's and 6.5's lose on is energy (To a point) and barrel life-- neither are huge concerns for plate matches.

You can run some expensive copper solids and bridge the gap a little, but for most the .308 is a step backwards, albeit effective for most all practical purposes.
I do agree the 6 and 6.5 cartridges offer superior ballistics no doubt about it, but they don’t make a cartridge obsolete.

Hits on targets require fundamentals, which I was always taught to read wind and determining bullet drop as apart of fundamentals. Granted I didn’t learn to shoot in match, I learned shooting at game.

At the end of the day, a capable shooter can take a capable rifle with a capable cartridge, such as a 308 or 30-06 and shoot just as good in a traditional environment, with proper fundamentals, not talking BR.

People now a days look at the internal ballistics cartridge vs cartridge and go with it. Which is fine, so do I. But they fail to realize they are a crucial part of the “external” ballistics accuracy wise once said human squeezes ( or most likely taps and pulls away) the trigger.

Dippy

Dip
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2019
What happened? I came back to this thread to see some pictures of and hear stories about nice ‘06 rifles and I’m reading trolling about why 6mm is better than .308 for PRS?

I believe that the thread you are looking for is:

It’s over on the “PRS R Us” forum. I’m sure you will be able to find plenty of people to argue the nuances of equipment carry over there.

So please stop trolling this thread with your useless drivel and let the people with their real rifles enjoy some discussion. Unless of course, you wish to post a picture of your favorite ‘06 for us, of course.
Sorry, I was flying the 30-06 flag and someone stomped all over the 308 so I stood up for them both. As they are like big bro and little bro cartridges. I’ll stop.

Long live 30-06!

• Haha
Reactions: DRAGON64 and lash