260 Remington build completed!!

Mar 3, 2017
Birmingham, Michigan
I just finished my first build, well almost finished. I still have to have the side bolt release done and DLC the bolt. But other than that it’s done. I had the barrel installed, action blueprinted and cerakoted at CarbonSix barrels in Louisana. My only two regrets are that it is slightly heavier than I anticipated and I wish there was a smaller gap between the barrel and scope. Currently the gap is approximately .110”.

Blueprinted Remington 700 Action chambered in .260 Remington
CarbonSix Carbon Fiber 24” barrel (1-8 twist)
Weaver Tactical 6-30x56mm
Skeletonized and fluted bolt
Modified bolt handle with carbon fiber knob
PTG Aluminum Bolt Shroud
MDT LSS Chassis
XLR Tactical Lite Buttstock
PWS Enhanced Mod-2 Pistol Buffer Tube
Hawkin’s Precision Titanium Muzzle Brake
Hawkin’s Precision Long Range Hybrids Scope Rings (20 MOA)
Trigger Tech Rem 700 Special Trigger
Daniel Defense Pistol Grip
MDT 8-round magazine
Evolution Bipod
AADMount Scope Covers

Total weight (includes magazine, bipod, scope)=11.8 lbs.
Total weight without bipod and scope=8.2 lbs.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2011
Jennings Lodge, Oregon
Looks great! First time I've ever seen one of those barrels, not really familiar with them?? Just checked out their website, looks like they have some interesting options for their barrels and the price seems decent. Have you shot it yet??

Dec 17, 2017
Wow. I'm building my first based on a Savage 10 FCP-SR in 6.5cm. Hope it turns out half as awesome as yer build. Well done. Thanks for sharing eye candy and details.

VooDoo

spife7980

Feb 10, 2017
The xlr butt stock will just screw into the mdt chassis? For some reason I thought there was something else needed. I’m glad I am wrong about that, it looks great

Mar 3, 2017
Birmingham, Michigan
Looks great! First time I've ever seen one of those barrels, not really familiar with them?? Just checked out their website, looks like they have some interesting options for their barrels and the price seems decent. Have you shot it yet??
No have not shot it yet, will have to wait for spring because it too cold here in Michigan at the moment.

Mar 3, 2017
Birmingham, Michigan
CarbonSix's barrels are competitively priced. As far as the machining/gunsmithing work...I am not happy. The muzzle brake is not timed properly and is slightly off center. So I have to send the barreled action to Kampfeld Customs to have the muzzle brake timing corrected. Also, CarbonSix was suppose to use the Pierce Engineering Titanium double pinned recoil lug that I sent them. But instead they used a cheap mild steel recoil lug and keep the one I sent them one. Nor did they offer any explanation as to why.

Last edited:

Sogan

Sergeant
Jun 11, 2013
What kind of weight were you hoping for? Compared to my AI with Razor 4.5-27, you are about 6 pounds lighter :(

Mar 3, 2017
Birmingham, Michigan
What kind of weight were you hoping for? Compared to my AI with Razor 4.5-27, you are about 6 pounds lighter :(
I was hoping to have the weight between 6-7 pounds not including the scope and bipod. I now realize that if I would have used the Remington model seven action instead, I would have hit my mark most likely.

Aug 17, 2012
Well crap, I was gettin close to pullin the trigger on a carbon six in PRC. I can see them having a busy day and forgetting about the lug but its not a good sign if they can't clock a brake right. I hope it shoots good.

Well crap, I was gettin close to pullin the trigger on a carbon six in PRC. I can see them having a busy day and forgetting about the lug but its not a good sign if they can't clock a brake right. I hope it shoots good.
It very well may shoot great, I don't know, so I don't wanna flame them or discredit them. But regarding the other issues...different story.

Sep 28, 2012
Central Florida
A question about the brake timing that you say is off. Why do you say that? What makes you think that it is off?

If it is because it is not 100% horizontal, but clocked a bit clockwise of horizontal by a few degrees, there is a reason for that. Most right handed shooters with a right twist rifle barrel experience an up and left hop, depending upon their ability to repeatably shoot with correct body position behind the rifle. It is common for a good gunsmith to clock the brake slightly clockwise of center to counteract this. Those that want a beautiful rifle to look at and do not know or care about this sort of thing might want it "corrected".

A question about the brake timing that you say is off. Why do you say that? What makes you think that it is off?

If it is because it is not 100% horizontal, but clocked a bit clockwise of horizontal by a few degrees, there is a reason for that. Most right handed shooters with a right twist rifle barrel experience an up and left hop, depending upon their ability to repeatably shoot with correct body position behind the rifle. It is common for a good gunsmith to clock the brake slightly clockwise of center to counteract this. Those that want a beautiful rifle to look at and do not know or care about this sort of thing might want it "corrected".
Thank you for your input. First, the gunsmith did not ask me if I would like the brake "clocked" a few degrees nor did he mention it upon delivery. Secondly, the brake is clocked in the opposite direction and would only be helpful if I was left handed. In my opinion, it is very clear that it was a mistake. I am not trying to flame CarbonSix and it is only a cosmetic mistake at best. Hopefully the barrel shoots greats and I can forget about the rest.

Sep 28, 2012
Central Florida
Thank you for your input. First, the gunsmith did not ask me if I would like the brake "clocked" a few degrees nor did he mention it upon delivery. Secondly, the brake is clocked in the opposite direction and would only be helpful if I was left handed. In my opinion, it is very clear that it was a mistake. I am not trying to flame CarbonSix and it is only a cosmetic mistake at best. Hopefully the barrel shoots greats and I can forget about the rest.
Yes, that is what is most important.