.223 Subsonic Cycling

mdonnr

Sergeant of the Hide
Jan 18, 2012
Central Nebraska
Anybody have experience with this? Would a pistol length gas system and playing around with buffers and springs make it happen. I realise that this would be a dedicated setup.

Looking for a project to fill my down time. I understand I could just get a 22lr upper and move on with my life.

GrandpaDeadLegs

New Hide Member
May 7, 2018
I have two boxes of subsonic and no other option but to try my luck this summer since I relieved myself of the only bolt action .223 I had before shooting it all. Will post if successful...

mijp5

Gunny Sergeant
May 7, 2009
I personally have no idea how to make this happen. I love shooting subs out of my ar, but it barely budges the bolt carrier. I just turn the gas system off and rack the handle

mdonnr

Sergeant of the Hide
Jan 18, 2012
Central Nebraska
http://beckammunition.com/cs-upper-223-cycling-subsonic-upper-assembly.html Why make one when you can just buy it...................................of course afterward you'll only have one testicle. For full disclosure............don't have one, and no idea if it really is reliable.
Thanks for the link, What I had planned is what they are doing. I’m gonna do a 9”-10.5” barrel with a pistol length gas system. Adjustable gas block and play around with the buffer and buffer spring. This is upper will be a novelty item. Just something to do right now. Their price is too rich for my blood. I don’t plan on having that much into the whole rifle plus sights/optic.

EXTREMEPREJUDICE

Online Training Member
Oct 21, 2008
SE MICHIGAN
Thanks for the link, What I had planned is what they are doing. I’m gonna do a 9”-10.5” barrel with a pistol length gas system. Adjustable gas block and play around with the buffer and buffer spring. This is upper will be a novelty item. Just something to do right now. Their price is too rich for my blood. I don’t plan on having that much into the whole rifle plus sights/optic.
Yes it's pricey, update your project when complete........................love to know if you can get it to run!

Nov 6, 2008
Huntsville, AL, USA
I see that the Beck upper requires a suppressor to run with subs. And then sub-sonic .223 ballistics can be had in a 22lr. 300BLK subs with 220 grn bullets are very quiet suppressed, but ballisticaly equivalent to a 45ACP.

Interesting project. Please keep us posted.

OFG

Snuby642

Sergeant of the Hide
Feb 11, 2017
I think you may be happier with a 300blk build for reliable fun.

My 10.5 " upper will shoot subs, supers, suppressed or not without malfunction.

I did stamp a standard lower for it no mods necessary.

0105131216-00.jpg

Top Bottom