20LB gun - Bipod?

The King

Showercookie Monster
Belligerents
Sep 17, 2004
Lambreth, Connecticut
My goto bipod - the Magpul with an Arca clamp on it - is probably marginal for a 20lb rig.

This space has changed a LOT and I'm interested in hearing more recent experience. I have generally liked the more wide stance bipods in the past.

Warne Skyline? Accu-tac F class? This gun does have an Arca rail if I wanted to use it.

TacticalDillhole

Shiner of shoes
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jun 26, 2012
N. Carolina
My goto bipod - the Magpul with an Arca clamp on it - is probably marginal for a 20lb rig.

This space has changed a LOT and I'm interested in hearing more recent experience. I have generally liked the more wide stance bipods in the past.

Warne Skyline? Accu-tac F class? This gun does have an Arca rail if I wanted to use it.
I would use the new S-Cal from atlas. My next recommendation would be thunderbeast or elite iron.

kindabitey

Certified Canine Restroom Attendant
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
Bassett, VA
TBAC works well. At it's heaviest, my Dasher was 23 lbs, and never had an issue with the TBAC bipod.

b2lee

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2018
N. KY
Generally a 20lb rifle means it is probably on the expensive side...why cheap out on a bipod? I was at the range a few weeks ago...and saw a $4k rifle and the dude was talking about the $40 scope he got of amazonia and how he liked the reticle....I was like...to each their own. Other peoples rifles don't affect my groups..heh

MDT_OFFICIAL

Official Account of Modular Driven Technologies
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2019
mdttac.com
The MDT CYKE Pod is worth a look depending on what you are planning to do with the rifle!

Reactions: D_TROS

DisplacedTexan

Ornery Tech Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 13, 2014
Hill AFB, UT
20lbs? Really not too heavy tbh, my PRS guns weigh in over 20 lbs and I use the first two of the following.

Harris S-BRM
Ckyepod
Atlas CAL

Don't really understand the appeal of the SCAL, but I guess there's that, too.

Covertnoob5

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Feb 12, 2017
SoCal
Another vote for the Ckye and I’ve run a 27lbs gun before so there’s that lol. Also, the Ckye at its widest is a really wide footprint if that’s what you’re looking for.

TripleBull

This one goes to 11
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
Sunny Colorado

Nik H

Constantly Learning
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 22, 2014

My AXMC with an M24 contour barrel weighs in close to 20 lbs and the Elite Iron Aluminum is rock steady. If you're shooting prone, I would highly recommend it

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Belligerents
Mar 16, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
Happy with my LRA on my 24lb rifle, well except it doesn't have enough leg extension for really high shots up on top of high hills.

Strykervet

Resident Phoenix Eye and Dim Mak Instructor
Belligerents
Jun 5, 2011
Pierce County, WA
LRA is back in production also.
LRA is THE way to go for stability on heavy firearms. I use on on a DTA HTI. It's also by far the best made bipod IMO, all bells and whistles are factory and what you want is the "Light Tactical" model --trust me, it's big enough and solid enough for what you're doing. The F class bipods are HUGE and more like outriggers than a bipod.

BEST bipod I ever bought for a heavy weapon. I only own one, they're not ideal for all weapons due to size and despite weight (they're fairly light for the size). Adj. far better than Atlas, more clicks. God I love that bipod. It's costly but you can pay more for less if you like, or less for far less if that's the case too. But best bang for buck on a solid bipod is the LRA. Glad to hear they're back i business and I hope they finish pursuing the competition for the Atlas --a smaller LRA wtih all the LRA perks in the size of an Atlas. Oh yeah!

SonicBurlap

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2018
You can adjust the SCAL cant lock out to your liking by unscrewing the pod loc and adjusting the pretension load nut with a hex key. Works great for me from all the cant I want to no cant at all.

10ring1

The Zohan
Belligerents
Aug 9, 2012
I am in the process of making my #17 rifle into a 20+ pounder. Didn't think about a bipod upgrade. I have the atlas bt10. Any reason this wouldn't be acceptable?

acudaowner

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
I am looking forward to trying a 5h next my mdt it's 25 ish lbs i still like the ckye pod that is on it now Its works pretty well .

b6graham

MMPRL
Belligerents
Jul 29, 2014
damm you guys are hardcore to spend 500 to 800 on a elite iron bipod
bipod that lasts forever. $800

Barrel $600 with 1000 round life
ammo to shoot out barrel $750

3 barrels a year, or more

this is why scopes chassis and action prices are buy once cry once. they last forever.

people forget what barrel and ammo costs are for a season

Steel head

Feral kitten
Belligerents
Aug 3, 2014
Washington

this is why scopes chassis and action prices are buy once cry once. they last forever.

F296A3DF-C0F5-4914-8C3E-E98457662A15.gif

Reactions: D_TROS

RobertB

Manners Stocks Support Team
Belligerents
Aug 20, 2009
Oak Grove, Louisiana
I have several rifles that are around 20 lbs. That's not too bad. Always ran a 6-9" Harris with notched legs and pod-loc with no issues and it served me fine. Went to an Atlas PSR and it's what I've used last season and loved it. Accutac CAL is hot on my list right now and really want to try one of those. The Ckyepod looks cool but I don't think I can swing it yet. I have 3 support systems I go with and try not to over think it.
1- Bipod/rear bag
2-Armageddon Gear Game-Changer
3-Tripod

With these 3 options I've never had an issue building a good position to make a shot.

I hope this helps.

Sniperwannabee

CWO
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
all over see below:

stop using common sense:p I do have to say my atlas will probably last forever

Reactions: SonicBurlap

Kasey

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Apr 3, 2003
www.accu-shot.com
I have several rifles that are around 20 lbs. That's not too bad. Always ran a 6-9" Harris with notched legs and pod-loc with no issues and it served me fine. Went to an Atlas PSR and it's what I've used last season and loved it. Accutac CAL is hot on my list right now and really want to try one of those. The Ckyepod looks cool but I don't think I can swing it yet. I have 3 support systems I go with and try not to over think it.
1- Bipod/rear bag
2-Armageddon Gear Game-Changer
3-Tripod

With these 3 options I've never had an issue building a good position to make a shot.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the patronage and I sure hope you meant Atlas CAL

357Max

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2019
Marylandistan
does the super can’t and lock have much flex or is it solid?
S-Cal cant locks up pretty tight, But since you mentioned Arca rail............The 419 Arca clamp mounted to the S-cal limits cant to almost nothing. You need to add the 419 Harris spigot adapter plate between the S- Cal and Clamp. Works great & gives you about 1-1/2" forward extension.
The above combo would also give you a little more clearance for your NV rig.

Edit: In the pic below, I also have the 419 Barricade stop wedged in there = more added NV gear clearance if needed.
IMG_5332.JPG

The King

Showercookie Monster
Belligerents
Sep 17, 2004
Lambreth, Connecticut
Crap

S-Cal cant locks up pretty tight, But since you mentioned Arca rail............The 419 Arca clamp mounted to the S-cal limits cant to almost nothing. You need to add the 419 Harris spigot adapter plate between the S- Cal and Clamp. Works great & gives you about 1-1/2" forward extension.
The above combo would also give you a little more clearance for your NV rig.

Edit: In the pic below, I also have the 419 Barricade stop wedged in there = more added NV gear clearance if needed.
View attachment 7259852

Yerman

Private
Belligerents
Jun 15, 2013
Palmdale, CA
Take a look at the HD50 from Accu-Tac. Felipe can ship you one with an Arca on there.

IMG_1310.JPG

Last edited:

1911hombre

Old School
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2019
East Central Minnesota
Wow. I have had an Atlas PSR for a year and really like it; decided to pull the trigger on a Super Cal. It arrived today and I am impressed to say the least. Beefy and beyond.

Reactions: SonicBurlap

b6graham

MMPRL
Belligerents
Jul 29, 2014
Wow. I have had an Atlas PSR for a year and really like it; decided to pull the trigger on a Super Cal. It arrived today and I am impressed to say the least. Beefy and beyond.
My hawk hill talons showed up today for my SCAL.

My god. It really puts into perspective how massive the legs are by comparison

SonicBurlap

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2018
My hawk hill talons showed up today for my SCAL.

My god. It really puts into perspective how massive the legs are by comparison
Funny I thought the same thing when I unboxed my Hawk Hill Talons for the SCAL. This thing is rock solid, built like a tank. Kasey's whole outfit sure landed a home run with this one.