20 MOA scope mount or not?

Kwalla22

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2019
I recently built my first AR10 and the only thing I lack now is a scope and scope mount. So I was wondering if I should get a 20 Moa scope mount or not. The gun has a 20 inch Ballistic Advantage 6.5 creedmoor Barrel. I’m planning on picking up a Vortex viper pst 2 5-25x50.

Attachments

acudaowner

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
why not ... looks like a fine firearm should be lots of fun to shoot .

bobke

Sergeant
Belligerents
Sep 17, 2010
Bandera, Texas
Costs nothing additional to give yourself a clear advantage at long distance, and keeping closer to the center of range of scope adjustment. I’ve done same on all of my 6.5CM and Grendel AR’s.

Kwalla22

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2019
Someone at work told me that the upper receiver is already 20 moa I guess I should have stated that in the op lol. Thanks for the replies guys I was leaning towards the 20 moa mount just wanted some other opinions.

bobke

Sergeant
Belligerents
Sep 17, 2010
Bandera, Texas
I’d verify what your friend suggested before accepting it as fact. What brand and model is the receiver? Not aware of any AR’s with 20MOA built in, but not to say there aren’t any.

Reactions: trob_205

Kwalla22

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2019
I’d verify what your friend suggested before accepting it as fact. What brand and model is the receiver? Not aware of any AR’s with 20MOA built in, but not to say there aren’t any.
It’s just a Aero M5 receiver set.

Steel head

Uncouth heathen
Belligerents
Aug 3, 2014
Washington
Someone at work told me that the upper receiver is already 20 moa I guess I should have stated that in the op lol. Thanks for the replies guys I was leaning towards the 20 moa mount just wanted some other opinions.
You should be able to see the cant in the rail then fairly easily.
I can’t think of any uppers with built in MOA as you’d have to integrate it with the fore end as well or it would look silly and cause a few issues with and without.

Last edited:

bigjake83

Golden Shellback
Belligerents
May 19, 2013
Southern Idaho
Your colleague is an idiot, the only receiver sets that have 20 MOA built in to them are the LaRue OBR rifles with their monolithic top rail. 20 MOA for Large Frame and 10 for small.

The only way that Aero set has MOA is if you're running a 20 MOA Riser or Scope mount.

Last edited:

Belisarius

Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 30, 2007
Beautiful looking gun!!!
20 moa, big time, always!!!
I have a 20 moa rail even on my .300 blk

bigjake83

Golden Shellback
Belligerents
May 19, 2013
Southern Idaho
I highly recommend the Seekins and Vortex Cantilever mounts with 20moa. I have several of them.

I just picked up one of those Vortex precision mounts and I must say they are quite nice, it didn't fit my current needs but I was impressed by the machining work.

Another one I'd recommend that gets overlooked a lot is the JP Scope Mounts, they're solid as a F***

stevieb92

Private
Belligerents
Aug 24, 2012
Just to clarify, the vortex precision cantilever mounts are made by seekins. I have a couple of the other lower priced vortex mounts and they aren't as well built obviously you get what you pay for...

MontanaMan

Private
Belligerents
Apr 26, 2007
Yea I was looking at the precision ones like this.
Never used that mount but it looks fine, & the better Vortex stuff is good...............I like ADM & Bobro. Hard to not like Spuhr & Geiselle but I have to take out a mortgage to buy them. :(

MM

SegmentFault

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2019
Hilo, HI
www.agamata.org
I have 20 MOA mounts on my AR-15 SPR, DPMS LR-308 SASS and the RPR already has 20 MOA on the rail. I went with the Nikon mounts with 20 MOA cants and it's worked out just fine. The SPR and SASS has very little recoil so the mounts are very stable on them. On my AR-15 I have 30 mils of elevation which i'll never use hahaha...