10mm 1911 thoughts & opinions

Sep 18, 2003
Gilbert AZ
RE:Shooting 40 in a 10
Y’all do understand headspace on rimless cartridges right? If the extractor holds the rim you MAY be good to go, but if they ride forward in mag and feed ahead of extractor what’s to headspace on?
Get a 40 barrel and 40 mags, or just load weak ass 10mm rounds.
....or shake the sand out of your skirt and load and shoot real 10mm.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2017
G20 without any hesitation. Mine shoots 1.5" at 50 yards - off bags. I've not had any 1911's match it - couple of Delta Elites - but I'm sure they're out there. It's my "walking the farm" hog gun and it's light in the holster. I've got a 1006 that's just as accurate but it never leaves the safe. 15 rounds of darn near .41 mag. is tough to beat...

SLG

Sergeant of the Hide
Sep 2, 2009
I've had several G20's. None were reliable with heavy loads, regardless of spring swaps and stuff. I know some can be, but it is a gun by gun thing, and yours may or may not be.

I have a Wilson Combat 5" 10mm. It runs very well, but is just not as accurate as I would like with factory ammo.

For hunting i would take a 6" all day over any 5". For bedside use I would not take a 10mm or a 6", unless I owned nothing else.

I would also not take a 10mm for hunting, as it is really on the weak side in many ways. My .44's dramatically outshoot my 10 at any distance, and have way more useful power (penetration).

If I wanted a semi auto for hunting, I would take an HK USP Expert in 45acp. It is factory rated for 45 Super, which absolutely out classes the 10mm. The gun itself is also incredibly reliable, and every feature on it is built for cold weather rugged use, which is when I tend to hunt.

jd138

Sergeant
Jan 19, 2011
Tulsa, OK
I noticed some folks mentioned reliability issues. I have owned a Delta Elite for 30 years; iIt was my first firearm. While all factory (I never got into hand loading for pistol) loads, I can't recall it ever jamming. Very accurate, very nice trigger, and a bar for any pistol I bought since then (spoiler alert - they never measure up). My only con is the price of ammunition.