Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Kestrel AK suppressor

  1. #1
    Private
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    45

    Kestrel AK suppressor

    Good morning guys. Well I finally got the call yesterday to pick up my kestrel.went pending jan.30. Said screw the yard and headed to town! After I bought it I saw some Internet talk that said they didn't suppress very well, and I thought "great, I've wasted $700 bux" I stopped at a range on the way home to listen to it and I'm pleased with what it does. I'll shoot it some more today but I thought it was comparable to my suppressed ARs. I was worried that the big bore DIA may keep it from suppressing well, i can drop a complete 9mm round through it from one end to the other. I never understood the whole " AKs don't suppress well" talk that ive read, because the absolute quietest host i have it a century gallil with a liberty torch, way quieter to the ear of the shooter than any of my ars with the same suppressor. and its an ak type action. I bought the 5/8 24 adapter so ill try it on my 308 bolt gun and see how it compares to the YHM that's on it now. If anyone is on the fence about them, I'd say give it a try, you may be surprised.

  2. #2
    Private
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    62
    On Huntertown Arms website it doesn't say the Kestrel 7.62 AK supports 7.62x51. Huntertown Arms - Suppressors for everyone - warrantied beyond life

    Whereas the Kestrel 9 and .308 specifically say it's rated for 7.62x51.

  3. #3
    Private
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerted View Post
    On Huntertown Arms website it doesn't say the Kestrel 7.62 AK supports 7.62x51. Huntertown Arms - Suppressors for everyone - warrantied beyond life

    Whereas the Kestrel 9 and .308 specifically say it's rated for 7.62x51.
    Good point. It's pretty beefy and heavy so I think it would handle slow fire, but I should call first. Thanks.

  4. #4
    Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    BoilerUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Clark Co., IN
    Posts
    2,451
    I've been told Kestrel AK will handle a 308 despite not being "rated", but acts more as a moderator than suppressor.
    My Savage 110 long action 223AI

    223AI/90gr Berger VLD


    "Everybody says 'buy once Cry once' then tells a guy to start on a 308?" - Jon Lester

  5. #5
    Private
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlb40x View Post
    Good morning guys. Well I finally got the call yesterday to pick up my kestrel.went pending jan.30. Said screw the yard and headed to town! After I bought it I saw some Internet talk that said they didn't suppress very well, and I thought "great, I've wasted $700 bux" I stopped at a range on the way home to listen to it and I'm pleased with what it does. I'll shoot it some more today but I thought it was comparable to my suppressed ARs. I was worried that the big bore DIA may keep it from suppressing well, i can drop a complete 9mm round through it from one end to the other. I never understood the whole " AKs don't suppress well" talk that ive read, because the absolute quietest host i have it a century gallil with a liberty torch, way quieter to the ear of the shooter than any of my ars with the same suppressor. and its an ak type action. I bought the 5/8 24 adapter so ill try it on my 308 bolt gun and see how it compares to the YHM that's on it now. If anyone is on the fence about them, I'd say give it a try, you may be surprised.
    Well, sadly after a few more days testing, I have to say I was wrong and shouldn't have said "it's good to go". When I had posted, I had only fired it on a range where other people were firing, that may have made it sound better. Took it out to sight it in and was disappointed, sounded loud, not good at all. I guess I did wast $700 bux. So I thought I'd get a cnc warior 14x1 adapter and try it with my mystic, but their mount adapters are so out of alignment you could see with the naked eye that it would give a baffle strike, same on three different Aks.their Probley just to be used for muzzle brakes and flash hiders. I hope I didn't steer anyone wrong with my advice. Moderators feel free to delete the whole post.. Live and learn, but 8 months and $700 is a hard lesson.

  6. #6
    Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Delta4-3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,704
    I've never heard a quiet suppressed AK, and I've shot a few. You didn't waste you're money though, it would be a great can for a .300 blackout, subs or supers. If you have a registered AR lower, I'll loan you a short blackout barrel to test it on. Actually, I think I have a 16" blk barrel you can borrow, and you will see a huge increase in performance.

  7. #7
    Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    BoilerUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Clark Co., IN
    Posts
    2,451

    Kestrel AK suppressor

    So how does it compare to your YHM on a given host?
    My Savage 110 long action 223AI

    223AI/90gr Berger VLD


    "Everybody says 'buy once Cry once' then tells a guy to start on a 308?" - Jon Lester

  8. #8
    Private
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    So how does it compare to your YHM on a given host?
    That's a really nice offer you made, but I work out of state all the time and won't have the time to try it, and get it back to you in a reasonable amount of time. You must be a match shooter, because their the only guys I know of that say " take it and try it, and if you like it, send me a check" I use my YHM 338 on my 308 bolt gun and I like it, but , haven't heard many others. I have a black out but it's a 10" encore pistol barrel, and I use my liberty mystic on it. But mainly subs, 208 Amax hand loads. Ill have to try it with the blackout, Ive got the 5/8 adapter. Thanks again for that offer.