Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 40xs

Thread: Bipod - forward or backward

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Question Bipod - forward or backward

In term of "loading the bipod" by applying forward pressure, it only makes sense to me if the legs fold rearward and you are loading against the springs. Some people have their bipod mounted the other way, though. Do I have it backwards? How would you apply load to the bipod if the legs can't fold back a bit?

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." - Theodore Roosevelt

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I think you answered your own question. Put the bipod on right. Problem solved.
    http://bisonballistics.com - articles about precision shooting and an online ballistic calculator.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I understand what you're saying. But it seems like you can still "load" the bipod with the legs folding forward. It may not be too obvious when shooting on the bench unless you put a sandbag in front of the legs to press into.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Generally, the legs are meant to be pointing forward when stowed so that you can have light forward pressure when deployed.
    http://bisonballistics.com - articles about precision shooting and an online ballistic calculator.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    Exactly why I mount mine forward.

Quote Originally Posted by damoncali View Post
    Generally, the legs are meant to be pointing forward when stowed so that you can have light forward pressure when deployed.
    Hoka Hey

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    If you have your pod mounted backward and apply a little too much forward pressure you stand a good chance of it folding up on you and dropping your barrel, which in turn could create an unintentional discharge or a missed shot. Bad practice!!
    trickyric likes this.

Online Training Member
    Follows
    Following
    If the legs fold forward the part that they brace against to fold will be on the back. So you can load the bipod without it collapsing on you.
    Atlas bipods don't need this because their mechanism fold both ways.