• 1 Post By Da-Law-Dawg
  • 1 Post By hatidua

Thread: Remington 870 Bullpup Conversion Review, Part I

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Remington 870 Bullpup Conversion Review, Part I

Hey folks,

Been a while since I've been on here as I've taken a break from the rifle world. I wanted to share a new product with you all that hasn't been out too terribly long for the Remington 870. It is a bullpup conversion kit you may not have seen yet as these haven't been around long at all.

This product comes to us from a small, locally owned company here in Kentucky named BullPup Unlimited. The company is owned and operated by a retired LEO. He struck out to develop a bullpup conversion kit that turns a standard Remington 870 Wingmaster or Express into a short, easily handled bullpup. This kit works with any standard 2 3/4 or 3" Magnum 12 gauge 870 with a non-ribbed barrel. Note.....the 870 SuperMags WILL NOT work with this kit.....

Moving on, I was fortunate to know the owner of the company and got to see this go from vision into full production. I saw the very early prototypes as they came out and were tweaked into what is now the end product. The owner came to us in the LEO community for input on the design and we were able to give input into what we thought the kit needed or would need down the road. the owner took that and built those ideas into his design. The end product came out very nice and I was proud to be able to have "lent a hand" in it's conception. Tho' I'm not affiliated with the company, I did have input as I stated. I am doing this review solely independent of the company and I AM NOT employed by them. This is STRICTLY an independent review of the kit. This is the first of a two-part review......

Full details can be found at Bullpup Unlimited, Inc

The kit requires no permanent modification to your 12 gauge 870 and works with any length, non-ribbed barrel. The design also permits the use of extended magazine tubes and can be used by right or left handed shooters as the design incorporates a shell deflector. The kit is made of molded polymer and is molded and assembled right here in gold ol' Kentucky......made in the USA baby!! The design incorporates/includes the following........

Molded polymer upper and lower shell w/upper shell having a molded, integral full length pic-style rail
    Utilizes AR-15 grips, and will accept virtually any AR grip on the market
    Utilizes and AR safety lever
    Includes molded in sling points for the use of single or double point slings w/sling mount adapters included in the kit
    Includes three sections of add-on pic rails, 2 short sections for the snout and a full length section for the bottom of the pump itself for adding forward grip, lights, etc
    Buttpad assembly is removable WITHOUT tools, once it is removed, it renders the shotgun safe and WILL NOT FIRE
    All the tools and hardware for the conversion are included with the kit, save for the tools you need to remove your existing stock and fore-end
    Kit comes molded in black only at this time (I Cerakoted my kit you see in this post)

Here is a couple of pics of my personal kit after I shot some FDE Cerakote on it and installed her on my ol' beater......

In the pics, I have a set of MagPul MBUS sights and a Streamlight TLR-1S installed.....

Here's a better look at the "driver's side" of the kit showing the grip, loading port and the molded in shell deflector......

Here's a view of the opposite side, here you can see the AR safety and the action button......

I want to touch on the operation of the kit. When the kit is installed, it utilizes a two-piece trigger. Not unlike the safety levers in some of the well-known polymer framed pistols you see today. BOTH sides of the trigger have to be depressed to actuate the trigger. This works in tandem with the AR style thumb safety, safety has to be switched to fire with the trigger fully depressed to fire the weapon. The bullpup trigger utilizes a trigger bar to actuate the factory trigger. Unlike many of the older bullpup designs, the trigger isn't bad on this kit, especially for a shotgun.

Moving onto another facet, the action is released via the action button to the rear, left of the loading port. This button simply activates the factory action release to manipulate the pump on the shotgun.

Lastly, to further facilitate another measure of safety into the design let's look at the buttpad assembly. The buttpad assembly slides onto the rear of the stock and is held in place by two, spring-loaded detents. Whwn the buttpad assembly is installed, the shotgun is fully functional and the two safeties (trigger and manual) on the kit function as designed. Here's the added safety design, when you depress the two detents and remove the buttpad assembly, it activates the factory safety on the factory trigger group rendering the shotgun in SAFE MODE and it CANNOT be fired. A very thought-forward design if you use this as a home defense weapon and have children around. Simply remove and stow the butt assembly away from the LOADED shotgun and it CANNOT fire until you simply reinstall the buttpad assembly by inserting it on the stock.

Here is a view of the buttpad assembly removed from the stock.......

As I stated, the kit is supplied with three sections of pic rail that can be added to the stock. This allows the use/addition of lights, forward grips etc. In the following pics, you can see where I added a Streamlight TLR-1 on the left side of the stock. With your hand on the pump, it is in perfect position to activate the momentary switch with your thumb.

Here's a view of the pump itself without the bottom rail installed. As you see in the pic, you can see the threaded inserts for the attachment of the rail. Note, these are brass inserts, but the next series going in production will have all stainless steel threaded inserts.......

The ergonomics of the kit are well thought out. I like the concept of an AR grip and controls as it lends well to transition from an AR to a scattergun set up this way. The kit is extremely quick handling and lends itself well in a close quarters environment. For the LEO, it is extremely compact and takes up very little room in the squad car, with an 18.5" bbl, the weapon is only 28.5" OAL. Short and handy and balances well, also sitting the bore in-line with the shoulder to reduce felt recoil and muzzle climb. The full rail on top will accept virtually any pic or Weaver style sight or accessory. As stated, I added a set of MagPul MBUS sights to mine and after running some dry-fire exercises, I've found it to point naturally and come on target FAST.

Here's my kit assembled and sitting next to my 16" AR carbine as a reference for size comparison.....

I know some of you are probably thinking the same as I did, will it hold up? I intend on running this thing HARD for the second part of the review with everything from birdshot to slugs. We shall see how she holds up. In talking with the owner, they have subjected one to 100's of rounds of 3", full-bore slugs with zero issues. I told the owner I would give her a serious run through it's paces and report back my findings.

Stay tuned for Part II.......
    Bbop likes this.
    I came into this world kicking and screaming, covered in someone else's BLOOD, I have no problem going out the EXACT same way!!

Custom stock painting and texturing, PM for details

Follows
    Following

That's really cool
    Everything I want to put here is weird... so yeah.

Private
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice design, I look forward to the second half of the review.
    Respect all...Fear None
    S.W.A.T. Even cops call 911

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    Did you try shooting it left handed? They claim the shell deflector keeps it LH friendly. This would be great if so.

Thanks Pete!

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
    Gen.Patton

Quiet Professional
    Follows
    Following
    This looks very cool and I like the innovation but I have my reservations on it's ergonomic functionality. What I mean by that is given where the dog carrier is located, it seems loading the magazine tube while holding the pistol grip with your right hand would be awkward at best. Given where the action release button is located, it looks like doing a slug /shell change over would require the right hand to go back and forth from the button to the pistol grip. Since it is molded, I also have to wonder why they didn't mold in a shell caddy on the left side of the weapon or at least a way to mount an aftermarket shell caddy.I may have missed it but is the LOP adjustable if not, what is the LOP as pictured?

T J
    Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuttshooter View Post
    Did you try shooting it left handed? They claim the shell deflector keeps it LH friendly. This would be great if so.

I would really like to see a vid of the bullpup being shot/cycled left handed. Looks cool, I'm looking forward to the second part of your review.

t
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting idea, but it's going to have to stand up to a lot of abuse and neglect to make it worthy of a self defense/duty role. I hope it works out well. Time will tell. If nothing else, it looks cool. A certain number of people will buy it for that alone.
    Chuck Norris can make a snowman out of rain.

.!.. '_' ..!.
    Follows
    Following
    Well it looks absolutely wicked. . . as for reloading, maybe (for a right-handed shooter) hold up front with the left hand and reload with the right? IDK, it would definitely take some getting used to.
    fugit impius nemine persequente iustus autem quasi leo confidens absque terrore erit

"The life of the former was almost a perpetual journey; and as he possessed the various talents of the soldier, the statesman, and the scholar, he gratified his curiosity in the discharge of his duty."
    - Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, vol. I

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    Guys, I'm behind on replying due to my regular 40 at the PD and my side gig doing Cerakote. I'll be addressing the specifics on the kit in my video review on Part II. This will include both left and right hand operation, reloads, etc. Video will be forthcoming, the owner of these has mine at the Three-Gun Shoot at Rockcastle today. Have a long stretch this coming week working the road, be patient fellas! LOL!!
    gipb likes this.

Private
    Follows
    Following
    I've shot one left handed... Remember it's a pump, so the control is at your speed. If you're going to be shooting LH and fast, a heads-up cheek weld is best (obviously).

As for durability, there's a video on youtube of it being dropped and run over by a truck and it sends buck-shot immediately after.

I'm not planning on running over mine with at truck...

Nice write-up OP!
    "Retreat, hell we just got here!"
    Capt L Williams, USMC, WWI (Belleau Wood)

Redheaded Stepchild
    Follows
    Following
    I clicked on this link thinking it was going to be the stupidest thing ever- but it actually looks interesting. I wish I'd seen it earlier, I'd have checked it out at Rockcastle. If you don't mind, PM me the owner's name, I'd like to look at his times on the shotgun stages.
    -Jamie

Minniedog
    Follows
    Following
    Go to the site and watch the assembly video

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    There is a link to a bull pup forum with lots of hands on info. There seems to be some concern about durability at some particular points on the frame, but I'd like to know more from longer term testing and abuse.
    I'm never surprised but often amazed.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I like the length, just not sure about the girth.
    Mjolnir23 likes this.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    Little bit of a ressurrection, but I had a question. Is there room under the chassis for a rear sight? I've got an old 870 Police with rifle sights that this would be perfect for, but I don't want to remove the rear sight...

Private
    Follows
    Following

I really like this bullpup conversion! My buddy at work forwarded me bullpups unlimited info on it last week and from everything I have heard so far, it is an excellent design - needless to say I'm actively selling my mossberg 500 so I can get an 870! Looking forward to the part II review

Private
    Follows
    Following

I've got one of these as well. I was an early adopter, got in on the pre-production pre-order. Overall I really like it. Unfortunately I haven't had it out as much as I'd like. I've only run about 100 rounds through it so far, but it is very pleasant to shoot. The balance seems to reduce the felt recoil, even from full power slugs. Initially, I had a Magpul AFG on the slide, but it didn't work as nice as I'd hoped. Racking a shell back in to battery was more awkward than I'd like. I put a vertical grip on and solved that problem.

Initially, I was a bit concern because after putting on the stock, the action seemed sticky when racking the slide. Not a lot, but enough to catch just a little on the forward throw. This pretty much solved itself after about 50 rounds, so now it is barely noticeable. I plan to try my hand at Cerakoting it, and when I tear it down I will see if some graphite lube smooths the rest out. Again, I really like the balance, length and function of the Bullpup Unlimited stock.

Private
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead0483 View Post
    Little bit of a ressurrection, but I had a question. Is there room under the chassis for a rear sight? I've got an old 870 Police with rifle sights that this would be perfect for, but I don't want to remove the rear sight...
    Just built one up using the exact setup you describe (police trade-in 870 w/ rear sight on barrel). Fits perfectly.

Private
    Follows
    Following

Building a Bullpup from a 870 Express. Love the look of your Cerakoted rig there Da-Law-Dawg.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

looks like a great setup, damn my left handedness.

"left handed friendly", appears to be only if you you don't mind no cheek weld - not the products' fault - but the user's "backwardness".

never operated one, but just from the videos out there i'd still have a mouth and shirt full of empty shells shooting it properly while left handed.
    Last edited by TOP PREDATOR; 12-08-2013 at 11:27 AM.
    KNOWING HOW IS UNIMPORTANT IF YOU NEVER LEARN WHY - armorpl8chikn

Use this to search

Everything you need to know and were afraid to ask.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    When is part 2 coming out? Interested in a follow up.
    Chuck Norris can make a snowman out of rain.