Thread: Question about 870 receivers

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Question about 870 receivers

Getting the urge lately to build something lately and I've never assembled my own 870 from parts so I figured what the hell.

The thing I'm not sure about is all the names for the 870 receivers.

I know the Super-mag takes up to 3.5" but I'm only building for 2 3/4" and 3" buck shot and slugs to play with.

Remington has 870 Express, Express Magnum and Police receivers. Are they all just the same thing with different finishes or what? I can't really find any definitive "here's what.." when searching online.

There's a few on Gunbroker but the Police and Tactical ones are buku-expensive ($240) compared to just the Express receivers for like $80.

Follows
    Following

Re: Question about 870 receivers

A friend of mine went through this same thing. Some of the tacticals are more expensive because there is a rail already on them and/or the finish is a higher grade. If only going after 2 3/4 and 3" you should be fine as long as the receiver is newer. I forget what the cut off year is, but before a certain year you need to have a minor fix done to safely and reliably fire 3" shells.

Check out wilson if you end up needing the fix. I believe they quoted my friend the lowest price.
    Everything I want to put here is weird... so yeah.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Ok, I did read somewhere that you can't put an extension tube on the express, or is that just bullshit?

I'm in the middle of moving to a new home we bought so I don't have my 870 here but next time I'm at my father's I'll strip both down and see if I can put my 2 shell extension tube on his.

The one that I have now is an 18.5" express with 2 shot mag extension and bead sight.

Basically this, without the XS sights and choke tube. I'd like to turn it into the below rifle by just swapping the barrel and having someone drill/tap my receiver but I can't find the damn barrel for sale online.

Follows
    Following

The not being able to put an extension on is partly true. Express models have these stupid dimples on the tube. There is a guide somewhere on how to do his with a socket. I would ask a remington qualified smith first. Vangcomp sometimes has awesome deals going on if you call the shop. Remington will also sell the barrel to you directly, though Vangcomp is amazing.

Forgot to add earlier some of the more expensive 870 receivers are billet cut out of one steel block.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I think you need the magnum receiver to shoot 3" cartridges.

Follows
    Following

A newer 870 can shoot 3" no problem as long as it's indicated 2 3/4" and 3" on the barrel. Some of the older ones can't without ejector being relocated in the receiver and the barrel being re-chambered.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Get the express magnum and don't worry over compatability. Main difference between the P and Exp is the finish, park vs. mattte blued, and the P has a metal trigger guard.
    Express magazine tubes have two dimples as mentioned above, allot of people like to over complicate removing them, just take a drill bit slightly larger than the dimple and drill, problem solved doesn't hurt a thing, doesn't show on an assembled gun.

Resident Elder Fart
    Follows
    Following

I have an 870 Express from around 2002, and it's fine for all 2 3/4" and 3" loads I've tried. The type of receiver can become an issue when buying replacement/additional barrels. Pay close attention to barrel maker directions and be clear about which receiver you actually have.

The Brownell's instructions on the Remington Magazine Extension installation process covers all of this subject very well. Click on the "Learn More" window for their most excellent intructional video.

Personally, I think there's a difference beween 'building' and 'assembling'. If the parts need fitting, it's not 'assembling'.

Greg
    Life is more interesting when one keeps a neurotic cat... Greg Langelius

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Anyone know of a place that sells 870 receivers so I can actually pick the right one out?

Private
    Follows
    Following

We've got an 870 Express Magnum and an 11-87 Police. Both are wearing Vang Comp Barrels. Hans and the Crew do awesome work and the grouping is incredible.

I've done a lot of gunsmith work on the 870's professionally speaking, and they are far and away the easiest and the toughest system out there.

I usually just recommend that people find a clean used one and start adding/modifying parts. You can hardly wear out the receiver no matter how old they are, they just get smoother.