Thread: 16 gauge

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

16 gauge

I have shotguns in 12, 16, and 20 gauge.
    For hunting pheasants I prefer the 16 and would shoot it more except the ammo is not as easy to get as the others and limited as to loads.
    I think the 20 took it's place and in years past they were more popular.
    Glad to see this shotgun section.
    Regards, FM

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Re: 16 gauge

I have owned one since I was 16, parents got it for me for my birthday. While its not fancy or expensive (H&R topper). I still prefer it to shoot critters with over the fancy shotguns I have purchases since. Ammo supply does suck though I have a few cases of ammo from around 2002-2004 time, Usually when dove season comes around I see whats avail then move on.
    Its to late for your boots Save your watch

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Are there no others that have used a 16?
    Maybe it is as obsolete as me.
    Regards, FM

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

My Granddad had a Model 12 in 16ga that he literally wore out on ducks, pheasants & squirrels. My brother has an old Winchester '97 in 16ga that is a blast to hunt with and shoot skeet with. One of these days I'll find an old 16ga pumpgun for myself. I do agree that the main problem is ammo.
    Somebody hold my beer & watch this!

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I have owned three 16 gauges,

one side by side with hammers, one FN A5 and last a drilling, Merkel 16/70+6,5x57R,

I really like 16 gauge, living in sweden my proximity to UK does provide some relife in ammo shortage, the britts do have a better selection all together for shot shells and that spills over in some extent to us here in Sweden.

/Chris
    "De älskade icke så sitt liv att de drogo sig undan döden" I minne av dem som lämnat oss i förtid

Private
    Follows
    Following

I had a Remington 1100 16GA at one time. Plan to get another one and at least one another 16 at some point.

I do like the 16GA. There are several for sale on Gunbroker, some older Brownings too although they're higher-priced.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stuart Mill

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    The Snobbiest Town in The Snobbiest State in the Northeast

I have several 16 ga's, all European doubles.

Nothing compares for lightness, handling and being able to put 'almost' as much shot in the air as a 12 ga. But with the weight and handling of a 20 ga.

Ammo no problem, though Wal Mart doesn't carry it often. But ammo is readily available. Including Bismuth which is a good steel shot substitute for those doubles.

I am a huge 16 fan, especially for bird hunting (which in this neck of the woods means only one thing... partridge.)

Cheers,

Sirhr
    Quidvis recte factum quamvis humile praeclarum

Oderint dum metuant

"You went full nerd with that reference." Thanks, I will wear that as a badge of honor!

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I have a Rem. Sportsman 48 in 16 that I love. It is full choke and was given to me by an Uncle along with many boxes of shells from 1 oz. to 1 1/2 oz in various dram eq.
    I have made kill shots on birds at 40 plus yards and would shoot it a lot more except for the availability of ammo.
    I have shot clean on the traps with the gun many times.
    I don't know how the 16 stacks up with a 20 as far as balistics and patterning go, maybe the 20 is better.
    The main thing for me is the availability or lack thereof of ammo.
    I do know it is fun to shoot and is my go to gun for pheasants.
    Regards, FM

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Stop right there, my fellow Antique. The 16 Ga. is alive and well in my household. I've got a Winchester 21, in 16 ga., and she's a sweety. Working through a couple cases I bought years ago. Should last, till I'm toes up.
    Originally Posted By: Foul Mike
    Are there no others that have used a 16?
    Maybe it is as obsolete as me.
    Regards, FM
    You don't need to take my words seriously. It's just my opinion. On any given day, my opinion changes. If I offend some one, I'm sorry. Some times, in my old age, I get grouchy.

Private
    Follows
    Following

I have an Ithaca 37 Featherweight in 16. Smoothest shotgun action I've ever seen.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one,and that is to be a fireman..." Chief Edward F.Croker FDNY 1910
    Oath Keeper
    "There is a difference between a safety net and a hammock"

Private
    Follows
    Following

Federal H16375 Lead Hi-Bras 16ga.2 3 4” 7.5-Shot
    $12 - 71 stores

Remington 20054 Promotional Game Loads, 25ct 16ga Game ...
    $15 - 38 stores

Ammo is abundant.

November 2014, members of Congress, and one-third of the Senate are up for re-election.

Concentration: Big AR cal. (6xc), Colt 1911.

josephsimpson47@gmail.com

Private
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson
    Federal H16375 Lead Hi-Bras 16ga.2 3 4” 7.5-Shot
    $12 - 71 stores

Remington 20054 Promotional Game Loads, 25ct 16ga Game ...
    $15 - 38 stores

Ammo is abundant.

In the country or just in your state or local area. Because if there a less than 2 per and 1 per state respectively that's not very abundant at all.

Private
    Follows
    Following

Try this:
    Open browser.
    Type: "16 gauge shotshells"
    Press "Enter" on the keyboard.
    In response, your browser should open numerous url choices based on the search language.
    If using Google or Yahoo, click on "Shopping"
    Again, numerous choices should appear on the screen. In this case, some of my search result I copied above in the first post of mine.

Should one prefer to buy off the shelf, Cabela's and BassPro have 16 gauge shells. Walmart might even have them. Let me check:

Copied and pasted straight from the Walmart website:
    Federal Hi Power 16 Gauge #6
    •Hi-brass 16 gauge #6 shot
    •3.25 DRAM
    •Made in USA

Now, how 'bout that?

Often we fret about things that are not of reality. For example, we fret about barrel life. That fear is unfounded by facts. Professional shooters monitor barrel wear like race drivers and crews monitor tire wear; because its critical to success and performance. Anyone else and its a mere matter of shoot and drive it and fret about shooting and driving skills, not the barrel or tires. From day to day they don't wear enough to fret over. Year to year? Maybe.

Ammo of all and any kind is abundant. It might be from one or few sources, but its abundant.

November 2014, members of Congress, and one-third of the Senate are up for re-election.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I am not saying that ammo can not be found, however, 16 is no where near as readily available as 12 and 20.
    There is none at the Wal Mart here or any other store in town or towns close to me other than Cabelas in Sidney.
    Shot sizes are usually 6 or 7 1/2, 1 oz. or 1 1/8 oz.
    The few rounds I have left that my uncle gave me have a lot more variety.
    I think I would compare the ammo availabe for 12 and 20 to the 16 to something like what is available for 30/06 and something like 8mm Mauser and you seldom if ever find any good sales on it especially when you figure shipping into the price.
    The last that I got at Cabelas was more than the 12 and 20 I bought at the same time.
    Not as popular, not as much demand or amount sold, hence you pay more.
    Regards, FM

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I have a Winchester Steelbilt Model 37 in 16 gauge. Ammo is hard to come by. Basspro has it sometimes, usually before dove season, and it costs more than 12 gauge. Ordering it, or buying it by the case is your best bet if you are going to shoot it often. The 16 is the perfect upland bird shell. That being said I mainly use 12 gauge because of price and availability.
    When the 2nd Amendment speaks of a “well-regulated militia,” it means local groups of individuals operating to protect their own families, homes, and communities. The Founders themselves wrote in the Federalist papers about the need for individuals to be armed. Ron Paul

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Sill have the Browning "Sweet 16" that I bought back in 1965.

Great dove gun.
    Real pilots don't bail out, they autorotate. University of Georgia Varsity and ROTC rifle team. 294 "career" avg. out of 300 possible: 3 pos. small bore.

Private
    Follows
    Following

Short stemmed apples are a little harder to dunk for. A little more care must be taken, yes.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

not much finish left, but still hammers

"Gecko45..............he's on crack and a tool but, he does have boots that let him climb walls and is a Master of three Martial Arts Disciplines."

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I love my Browning Sweet 16. I also have a drilling in 16 guage that I take out on occasion.
    Illegitimi Non Corborundum

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

AYA sidelock #2
    "You never know what you can do until you try"

Slacker
    Follows
    Following

I still have my Dad's old Browning auto that dates to way before the sweet 16, the Winchester Mod 12, pre 64, and a Lefevre double, all in 16 ga.
    The cost of 16 ga shells is higher because of lack of production, due to lack of demand. Kinda like 22 short costing twice as much as 22 LR.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."*

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Kinsman, I could not agree more.
    Why did the 16 drop out of popularity?
    Do the balistics of the 20 surpass it or it was just a thing driven by gun magazines of the 50-60s.and the 20 was the hot shot thing to use?
    I don't know but do know that anytime I have traded out with guys on a pheasant hunt and they carried and shot my gun they were reluctant to give it back and all offered to buy it.
    Reloading is always an option but the components available are limited at best and scarce as hens teeth.
    A good gauge gone south in use and popularity.
    Regards, FM

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I shoot a 16 gauge my grandfather game me. Its a sportsman model and I love it! It has an adjustable choke and its been hunted for so many years I lost count! Its wood has seen better days but the metal is still awesome.

I wish 16 gauge was easier to come upon at the local sporting goods store but when I do find it I just buy several boxes.

I have a 20 and a my father shoots a 12 gauge. The one gun that comes with me though is my 16. I don't even look at my 20 anymore.

Awesome gun and a great round
    http://youtu.be/ckhaJa0xsEA -The greatest story left untold from the iraq war!

"Force from above"- USCG Hitron

ERAU- Homeland Security

Follows
    Following

On a similar note, I'm a big fan of the 28 ga. Use it for pheasant and skeet but unless I reloaded skeet would not be an option. I can buy 12 or 20 ga. for about $50 a case and 28 ga. or .410 between $80 - 90 a case. Cost wise the 16 is right in with the 28 / .410. Once you have the hulls the 28 is a little cheaper to reload than the 12 /20.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I too reload for my 16 but wads are not easy to come by. Also, my gun is a recoil operated semi-auto and after a few firings the hulls that are paper base wad type tend to get kind of concaved on the base.
    That doesn't happen with plastic shells, constructed like double AA but I don't have too many of those.
    I think it is caused by the ejection cycle.
    When they get that way they don't feed reliably from the magazine.
    Regards, FM

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Casey, I have read your posts several times and thought about them. Taking my time and thinking about things, especially the highlighted, bold text thing about Googling for 16 ga. shells, and then bobbing for apples?
    Are you trying to infer that I am some kind of FNG, naibob, imbecile that knows nothing about the internet and availibility of ammo and the cost of shipping or was that a try to help?
    I don't know quite how to interpret those posts.
    They remind me of a saying when I was welding pipe line in Texas and Oklahoma 40 some years ago. Something like a mosquito mind and something about an elephant's ass. I don't remember the exact word as I never found the saying to be useful to me again.
    Just wondering.
    Regards, FM

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Casey, have you gone out and bought 16 ga. shotshells recently? like within the past 5 or 10 years?
    That elephant is coming more into my mind as I think of this.
    Regards, FM

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

This is a brand new forum. Lets not let personal attacks screw it up. Lets all work for the transfer of information so that all can learn and benefit.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

OK puncher, I was probably out of line, however, I did find some posts very condescending and voiced my opinion. So let's do as you say,"work for the transfer of information so that all can learn and benefit." My bad and I will take ALL of the blame.
    With that, why has the 16 gauge fallen out of favor?
    Is the 20 ga. superior ballistics wise to the 16 or was it a way to sell new shotguns in years past?
    The 16 is still popular in Europe and other places on the globe, and there are still a few here that like it.
    Regards, FM

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

The 16ga. is often called the "queen of the uplands" and justifiably so. I've been shooting one for over fifty years. Many think it is the ideal ga. for a 1oz. load and that a 1oz. load is perfect for upland birds.

The English had pretty well defined the dynamics of a bird gun by the late 19th century. Their formula for weight is 96 times the charge weight. This means a 1oz. load needs a weight of 6lbs. A six to six and one half pound gun in the uplands is perfect compared to the the more common 7 1/2lb.+ American guns.

Starting around the 1960s the 16ga. was out of favor and you couldn't give one away. The renaissance of the SXSs in the 80s changed that. Today, 16ga.s in older SXSs bring a premium over 12s and in some cases 20s. This is true in older US pumps and autos as well.

Ammunition is not a problem if you plan ahead. There are even companies that produce 2 1/2" shells for the earlier short chambered guns. The prices are competitive with other premium ammo and add virtually nothing to the cost of a bird hunt.

My first center fire was given to me by a shirt-tale uncle. It is a 16ga. L.C. Smith Featherweight. When I received it, it was in about 99%. I had to refinish it in the 80s. It has killed the first bird over every one of by dogs and is still my favorite bird gun.

If you have one go kill some birds. It is again and still the "the queen of the uplands."

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I have 11 16ga shotguns. Just bought a case of ammo in DE at the Seaford Wal Mart. Not as cheap as 12ga, but I had not seen it in a while.

Now, the 16 is dead for waterfowl, till I find a new gun. Steel shot in old guns is a no no.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

No blame for anyone, isn't it great to have a shotgun forum and also see some field guns as well as combat shotguns.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

When I was 15 I hunted Prairie Chickens with a 16 gauge. Man I'll tell you I was deadly with that shotgun. It was a light, and handy 28" inch barrel 870 Remingtion.

RST Shotshells produce ammo for the 16 gauge. They are low pressure. It's all I buy.

Here is there link below

http://www.rstshells.com/rst_classic...shotshells.htm

Private
    Follows
    Following

I shoot a 16ga Model 12 made in 1914. It has been in my family since the day it came off the shelf and although it shows signs of wear, the stock has no cracks or damage, and there is zero rust on the gun. It has killed more ducks, geese, rabbits, quail, and squirrel than I could dream about. I have several boxes of shells, and even have a couple boxes of old paper hulls that are in the collection.

Originally Posted By: 303_enfield
    I have 11 16ga shotguns. Just bought a case of ammo in DE at the Seaford Wal Mart. Not as cheap as 12ga, but I had not seen it in a while.

Now, the 16 is dead for waterfowl, till I find a new gun. Steel shot in old guns is a no no.

First, I'm jealous you have 11 16ga guns. I'm going to be searching for a 16 O/U sometime next spring after I finish up a few projects.
    BUT, the 16 is NOT dead for waterfowl. I don't shoot steel, I shoot classic doubles and it is harmless on the barrel because it is intended to be used for the older guns...and is death for any feathered critters that get in range. We have an annual sub-12ga hunt and the guns must be older than 75 years...its my favorite hunt of the year