Thread: Best Trigger for AR-10

Private
    Follows
    Following

Best Trigger for AR-10

Looking for an opinion on replacing the stock trigger on Remington R-25. I have been given a couple of recommendations - Timney AR-10 and AT Gold AR-10. Anyone have an opinion on which one would be the best buy? I am looking for a replacement trigger module to drop in without gunsmithing. Thanks!

ORD
    Montani Semper Liberi
    Follows
    Following

Re: Best Trigger for AR-10

If you want single-stage, those are good options, but for a non-adjustable trigger (I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS ROUTE unless you have considerable experience working on or shooting ARs), get either the Geissele SSA or SSA-E (Enhanced). You get a high quality trigger with a 2-stage pull (the SSA has a 1st Stage/Take up of 2.5lbs with a 2nd stage of only 2lbs...the SSA-E has a 2.3lb and 1.2lb respective pull weight).

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Follows
    Following

I have a Geissele on my service rifle and love it. Crisp, fastand adjustable stages.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Wilson TTU

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

i went geissele and never looked back, have three now

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Geisselle.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Paul If you click on my name and look at my posts you will see that I did a lot of homework on this one. I personally went with a Wilson Combat TTU Single Stage I have 300 rnds through my DPMS LR 308 and no problems and a very sweet 4lb pull that breaks clean.
    All it takes for evil to prosper is for good men to stand by and do nothing.

__________________________________________________ ________

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I can't belive nobody has suggested a Geissele SSA yet. (Kidding!)

Seriously though, it is a very nice setup.
    Your only crazy until your right.........I can afford to be crazy.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I replaced all of my Geissele's with the Wilson TTU's
    Thats 10 triggers so yeah, I like em alot

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

It depends on what you want to do with the rifle. If you're considering the Wilson TTU, Timney or AT Gold triggers, those are all nice, but comparing them to the Geissele SSA or SSA-E is an apples to oranges comparison. If you want to compare triggers, a closer comparison to those mentioned above would be the Geissele High Speed line.

The SSA and SSA-E are just two flavors of "combat" trigger and were not designed to be any sort of precision trigger (although the SSA-E is pretty darned nice for a non adjustable drop in). For a precision trigger, I prefer two stages and really like the Geissele DMR. That's the one that would more closely compare to the likes of the Timney, AT and TTU.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I just went with a Geissele SD-E, it is a huge improvement over the factory trigger. The first stage is short with a definate stop, and the second stage is around 1 lb. I like it.

Private
    Follows
    Following

Do any of these require a gun smith to install?
    May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I don't think that any of them REQUIRE a gunsmith to install. Replacing a trigger in an AR type rifle is pretty simple. I can do it in just a couple of minutes.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I have an AR Gold trigger in my LR-308 and I think its great. Better than my buddy's Geissele.
    "It's good shooting Charlie, theres no such thing as nice shooting."

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: jawa
    I have an AR Gold trigger in my LR-308 and I think its great. Better than my buddy's Geissele.

This is my trigger that he is referring to. We both were disappointed with it. I have moved over to a Timney in that rifle and am much happier. In fairness to Geissele, they have agreed to work with me to fix the issue which I should be able to report back about at a later point since I am getting ready to install that trigger in a new build and see how it turns out. It seems that some of the safety may need to be removed to make is function properly. As for the Timney, I have 4 in various configurations for bolt and semi and have been happy with all of them.
    And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

One more for the Geissele SSA-E. Great all around trigger. Not to heavy for bench stuff and not to light for the field.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

The new SD-E is exponentially better than any other trigger Ive used to date. It's really the perfect hard use precision AR trigger and I believe GA nailed it on this unit, the break is outta this world

Great to see you already pick one of these SD-E's up Mr.Fish...not sure how long you have owned it, but I can say every single trip to the range thus far with it has only deepened my believe that this is quite the special and exceptional trigger. To the naked touch it really does feel unlike any other trigger. It's much more clean, efficient, and linear in the pull than anything else Ive felt.

SSA is on the top left, SD-E is bottom right.

Quick video of the SD-E's cycle...

Private
    Follows
    Following

great discussion....I believe the RRA 2-stage NM will work in the Ar10 platform.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Follows
    Following

If you get an RRA trigger send it to John Holliger at White Oak Armament for a $30 trigger job. I had a factory one on my service rifle last year and I shot/dry fired it so much that it lost the 1st stage completely and then started doubling.

New ones can be had for around $100 plus the trigger job and shipping you are at around $140 for a nice trigger.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Geissele. Hands down.
    +1 on the SSA-E.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

"Do any of these require a gun smith to install?"

no. The Geissele is easier to install than the timney, but both are easy. I like the simplicity of the Geissele non-adjustable triggers. Not much there that can break.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

JP. Best single stage there is. Period.

Rich
    "The callus on my finger is from my trigger, not the keyboard!" - Rob Leatham

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Perhaps this is something that I should have mentioned, but what really sets the Geissele SSA and SSA-E triggers apart from the rest is Geissele's use of full power hammer springs. There's never a worry of getting a light primer strike, regardless of the ammo being used.

I'm running a carbine with a JP trigger in it right now. The pull is pretty clean and I'm running heavy springs in it right now. I've put around 4K rounds through the rifle since installing the trigger and the drawback that I've found is that the adjustment screws have worn through the anodizing in my lower and have begun to gouge the aluminum.

Private
    Follows
    Following

+1 for JP
    Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stops to reload.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: dtac
    "Do any of these require a gun smith to install?"

no. The Geissele is easier to install than the timney, but both are easy. I like the simplicity of the Geissele non-adjustable triggers. Not much there that can break.

The Timney is a one piece unit. Drop it in and push two pins into place and you are ready to go. It don't get much easier than that. The Geissele is not difficult to put in, just not as easy as the Timney in my opinion.
    And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28

Private
    Follows
    Following

I have a Geissele NM trigger in my AR10 NM and I couldn't imagine anything better.

Private
    Follows
    Following

AR Gold is exceptional!

Great trigger break, very small reset movement and you can drop/toss a rifle HARD without the trigger failing.

Mike
    Don't try, do it!

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

+2 for the JP single stage.
    Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.
    -Ben Franklin

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

One word on the JP trigger, There is usually some material that needs to be removed from the disconector upon instalation but is really no big deal. There are very clear instructions that come with the trigger and there are videos on jprifles.com. Plus the JP unit is like $120 if I remember correctly and if you jack up any parts on the instalation they will send you replacements on the cheap for whatever you tore up. I know 2 stage triggers are all the rage but if you have never fired a really nice single stage trigger give it a go. Especially if you ever wish to compete in any kind of practical shooting competitions single stage triggers seem to be the way to go, they are alot easier to manage, for my mediocre skill level anyway.
    Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.
    -Ben Franklin

Private
    Follows
    Following

Where can i get a Geissele trigger

Surgeon Shooter
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: ramrod197
    Where can i get a Geissele trigger?

Right here -

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#Gei..._1-2-4_8-16-32
    Quote Originally Posted by FD338Lapua View Post
    This site is full of you super pricks with big mouths hiding behind a computer screen.
    My setup: Surgeon Scalpel with a 20" Krieger in an AICS AX chassis, Jewell trigger, Atlas PSR, GDI mount, NightForce ATACR, Flatline Ops, Thunderbeast 30BA, Armageddon Gear, Magpul MS4, Aadland scope caps, and PRS tripod w/HOG saddle.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I checked out the Wilson website and a few others and the video at the Wilson site and the installation seems to be pretty straight forward and uncomplicated. JMO
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

The Geissele SD-E is awesome! You can only get it from Midway at this time.

I've also used the Geissele Hi Speed Match trigger. It is outstanding if you want a second stage pull of just a few ounces.

Follows
    Following

To the OP.

You never mentioned how you will be using it (precision, 3 gun, etc)?
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipYkuCZ2IYI

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I am using a Timney drop in. It was a 2 minute snap to take the old one out and put the new one in. I like it very much, though I haven't seen anyone else recommend one. Not sure why; I'm not the most experienced with different triggers, but it's worked really well for me. Very crisp, and breaks like a glass rod right at 4#.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: paulsnapp
    Looking for an opinion on replacing the stock trigger on Remington R-25. I have been given a couple of recommendations - Timney AR-10 and AT Gold AR-10. Anyone have an opinion on which one would be the best buy? I am looking for a replacement trigger module to drop in without gunsmithing. Thanks!

i personally like the wilson ttu... lite enough trigger pull to do precision shooting with, but heavy enough to have in a combat carbine..
    "TRAIN FOR THE WORST.. EXPECT THE BEST.."

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: boomfab
    The Geissele SD-E is awesome! You can only get it from Midway at this time.

I've also used the Geissele Hi Speed Match trigger. It is outstanding if you want a second stage pull of just a few ounces.

Care to elaborate on what you specifically like about the SDE...I am just curious

Private
    Follows
    Following

Do the Two stage national match triggers that come from Armalite in their AR-10's even come close to any of the above mentioned triggers?

ORD
    Montani Semper Liberi
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: Contendo
    Do the Two stage national match triggers that come from Armalite in their AR-10's even come close to any of the above mentioned triggers?

In a word...NO.

The stock RRA 2-stage NM triggers are okay...don't get me wrong. But they don't compare to the results you can achieve with the Geissele and similar triggers.

Also, some people report having issues when installing the RRA NM triggers in the LR-308 because of the tip of the hammer riding the bottom of the bolt carrier and causing malfunctions. Since many people use the term "AR-10" interchangeably with all .308 AR's...just thought I'd mention that issue here.

Private
    Follows
    Following

Geissele adjustable on the REPR (well, it comes that way) and a Geissele SSA on the AR-15. Can't go back to stock triggers anymore! [img]<>/laugh.gif[/img]

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

JP triggers for all my AR's

John Boyette
    Hillsborough NC
    PH# 919-428-5265

I do not train students to pass a test, I train them to project their will onto the target..

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

The Geissele SD-E. Two stage, flat trigger, no adjustment screws to tinker with, around a 1.2 lb second stage, sharp break, works wonderfully for precision or 3gun. The flat trigger makes it feel lighter than it really is.

The SSA-E is the same but has a traditional curved trigger.

I've tried pretty much all the AR triggers on the market. I like two stage rifle triggers best. I shoot a lot of 3gun, so that is what they get used for.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I will be ordering a Geissele SD-E trigger for my rifle.
    Cold Bore Competitions
    www.coldborecomps.com
    Home of the "Oregon Sniper Challenge".
    RIP BJ, Lucas & Max. Daddy misses you!!!

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Blog Entries

Wilson TTU. I have one in my MA/Ten it is a very clean 4lb trigger.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: boomfab
    The Geissele SD-E. Two stage, flat trigger, no adjustment screws to tinker with, around a 1.2 lb second stage, sharp break, works wonderfully for precision or 3gun. The flat trigger makes it feel lighter than it really is.

The SSA-E is the same but has a traditional curved trigger.

I've tried pretty much all the AR triggers on the market. I like two stage rifle triggers best. I shoot a lot of 3gun, so that is what they get used for.

Thanks Boomfab for elaborating a bit more, the new trigger design imo has a major influence on the feel of these new Super Dynamic series triggers.

Sumpter Steve....let us know how you like the SDE if you have the time, I got a thread on here somewhere about the SD-E.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Geissele seams to be everyone's opinion .
    But I like my Jewel trigger .
    Now I know I am probably the only AR-10T with one.
    Had to modify sear to get it to work.
    The trigger pull can be adj with springs .
    1.5LBS first stage 9 oz second stage and you can adj it even lighter but it went full auto and emptied the clip.