Thread: Remington 552 Speedmaster

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Remington 552 Speedmaster

I have two 552 speedmasters that are about 10 years old. They both have not been shot very much and cleaned very well after each range outting.
    This year they both missfeed, cases stuck in the chamber, etc.
    I have tried different types of ammo, not clean as much, then go way overboard on cleaning. Still the same problems happen.
    Is this a known problem with speedmasters??? They both are very accurate, but not reliable any more. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
    -- John F. Kennedy

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Re: Remington 552 Speedmaster

I'd be checking the chamber for gunk or corrosion. Also check the extractor for proper tension. But the fact that both are doing it leads me to believe that the rifles might have been stored somewhere they could get some corrosion/pitting/varnished lube in the chamber making the cases stick.
    Luck favoring the prepared. I'd rather be lucky than good any day.
    The best plans do not survive first contact with the enemy.

More people trying to fix shit that ain't broke.....

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

i never thought of the varnished lube. The guns spend several days locked in a moving van when I moved from Ohio to SC e few years ago. I just started shooting them again just this year.
    I'm going to send them to a smith friend of mine and have them disassembled, inspected and cleaned.
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
    -- John F. Kennedy

Bad SoDak Cat
    Follows
    Following

My first .22 was a speedmaster my mother threw on the concrete,(belonged to my father), one day asked if I could have it and he said yes amazingly enough. Stripped off the bent over front sight and case deflector, and it shot accuratley enough. Shot occasionally for years but it never was a very consistant runner even after cleaning the trigger group. Gave up on her, oh well.
    Good luck with yours
    Admin of the South Dakota Long Range Club on Facebook

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Disassemble and clean all the little bitty parts that could have cooked on grease.

Also, what ammo are you using? I have seen the Winchester stuff that comes in a silver box of 50 rounds, loose packed, will screw up even a bolt action Marlin.

The goopy lube on the rounds was on the cases from the loose pack box and after 20-30 shots it would cake in so much that even a bolt action wouldn't extract or feed reliably. The solution was cleaning the chamber well and switching ammo.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan

Follows
    Following

FWIW; Try CCI mini-mags, 40gr solids. That's what my Remmy 550-1 likes and feed 100%.
    What ammo are you using ??
    Respectfully
    Hav'n you along, is like losing two good men.........

Bad SoDak Cat
    Follows
    Following

I shoot 36 grain federal copper plated, when it wanted to fire, it did great, but I think it's a little tired, especially after being tossed, the loading "arm" that lifts the round from tube to chamber, also seems to pick them up wonky, its not a big deal really to me anymore. I enjoy my shooting bolt guns far more than any of my autos.
    Admin of the South Dakota Long Range Club on Facebook