Thread: Shooting at 1 Mile - Will an S&B 5-25 get me there?

Private
    Follows
    Following

Shooting at 1 Mile - Will an S&B 5-25 get me there?

I need some help. I have a Barrett 98B chambered in 338 Lapua. I want to shoot it out to 1 mile. I would like to use the Barrett BORS coupled with a S&B 5-25.

With only 65 MOA (22 MRAD) of adjustment will the S&B get me out to that distance, or will I come up short for elevation. I will of course be adding a canted mount of 30 - 40 MOA.

The BORS system is only compatible with certain Nightforce, Leupold & S&B scopes. Since I want a first focal plane scope for this rifle, it rules out the Nightforce.

If any of you guys have this set up or something similar and can provide me some advice I would appreciate it.
    If you're going to do something stupid...at least be smart about it

Lieutenant Patrick
    Follows
    Following

On my DTA I have an S&B 5-25 on a 20MOA mount. For my 338lm I use 16.5 mils to get to 1760.

Don't know squat about the BORS system.

Have fun, brother.

Good Guy List pg. 197,229,303,336...

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    I believe the 65 moa for the PM11 5-25x is a misprint. It has more than advertised.
    Live and let live.

Ronin
    Follows
    Following
    It is a misprint the 5-25 has closer to 100 MOA of adjustment and I've seen them stretch to 1 mile and beyond so you'll be good to go.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

With a properly canted mount the PMII 5-25 has 26.5 mils of elevation adjustment.

Joe

Private
    Follows
    Following

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback.
    If you're going to do something stupid...at least be smart about it

Private
    Follows
    Following

Yes, maybe you might need a 40 MOA cant... If you're shooting beyond a mile...

The S&B has 100 MOA internal adjustment. That is around 28 mrad.

But with a 20 mount base you get close to 70 MOA (50 up and down from the scope + 20 on the base). With a 40 MOA base you get 90 MOA elevation.

The S&B is designed for aggresive canting (30 MOA - 40 MOA) it says so in the manual. Some people don't like to cant their scopes so much because they believe they won't be able to zero at close ranges. Which in some cases is true. Not the case with all the internal elevation these high end scopes have.
    Finally some believe that having the scope canted aggresively makes the erector tube be at its limit therefore degrading short range image quality...

Personally I'd go with a 30 MOA cant for that application...
    Nico.
    Last edited by ssg08; 04-04-2013 at 02:23 PM.