Thread: Cheap, quality long range scope

Private
    Follows
    Following

Cheap, quality long range scope

I've just started to get into longer range shooting, and am in the process of getting a rifle. What are some good quality scopes that won't break the bank, as funds are kind of tight right now..

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Re: Cheap, quality long range scope

Lots of information already posted on this subject. What is your budget and how far do you consider long range?

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

define cheap & long range, for example is cheap <$500 and is long range 800 yards or 1200 yards?

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Cheap and Quality are not going to work in the same sentence. Save up some money and be prepared to spend $1000-$2500 for something adequate and more for something finer. You can save some money with a SFP scope like a Vortex PST if you don't need first focal plane....

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Alot depends on your definition of cheap, but typically you cant have both. Think about it if a 50 dollar scope would do the same thing as a 1000 dollar scope why would they even make 1000 dollar scopes?

Private
    Follows
    Following

Let me rephrase myself. Quality optics under $500 that could reach out to, lets say, 800 yards.

Senior Chief
    Follows
    Following

Always remember rule number one!
    HMCS(SW/AW)(RET)

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

The vortex viper 6.5x20x44 30mm on www.cameralandny.com is a real nice scope for the money. They go for around $290. I have used these as varmint scopes with great success.
    Withhold no sacrifice, Grudge no toil, Fear no foe, Seek no sordid gain, All will be well.
    Know what you are and be purposeful in life

Private
    Follows
    Following

As suggested above, look around. This one has been done a bazzillion times. Check out SWFA they are a Hide vendor and carry several decent entry level, budget friendly choices.

Eric
    U.S.Army 13B 1986-1990,B Batt.1/189FA,How. Batt.1/11 ACR

bmt
    Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

SWFA Super Sniper 16 or 20 fixed power.

$299.

Link:

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-MRAD-Scopes-C4225.aspx

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Weaver tactical 3-15 FFP is a smidge over your price target but worth the extra $$$ w mil/mil
    "There's always hope as long as there's lead in the air."

"caught a bolt of lightnin', cursed the day he let it go"

Private
    Follows
    Following

Thanks for all the responses guys. Are any scopes better than another, in the caliber sense? I am going to be shooting 308. Does this change any opinions?

-
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: roadrash
    Thanks for all the responses guys. Are any scopes better than another, in the caliber sense? I am going to be shooting 308. Does this change any opinions?

If you don't already know the answer to these questions, you're not going to be able to tell the difference anyway. Just buy one and shoot.

Private
    Follows
    Following

Appreciate all the responses. Probably getting the SWFA, Thanks!

Private
    Follows
    Following

Vortex or upper end Bushnell are likely going to meet your needs and price range, depending what application you have in mind. Range doesn't necessarily determine price, but if you're going to be dialing elevation and windage you are going to need a scope with repeatable and durable turrets and that is going to cost more.

You don't need a $1500 to be "adequate" for most applications. I'm running an older $1000 Nikon Tactical on my big game rifle; it's been through multiple elk hunts and never railed me. It gets a decent amount of turrent dialing. My local deer hunting scope, which gets even heavier usage, is a Bushnell 3200 (?) Tactical I got for ~$600. It's a perfectly fine scope and sees quite a bit of turret adjustment.

I'm sure the pricey scopes are quality pieces but most people get along fine without them. The law of diminishing returns starts to kick in big time around the $1K mark.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: doubled
    Cheap and Quality are not going to work in the same sentence. Save up some money and be prepared to spend $1000-$2500 for something adequate and more for something finer.

I beg to differ. SWFA 10x42 is an awesome scope for $300.
    Only requirements I see from the OP are target shooting, less than $500 and out to 800yds. No need for a variable scope at that range. No need for variable on a piece of paper or metal. His application doesn't require a lot of money. A lot of people think it does and most of the time it's b/c someone told them they had to have the best.
    If you want to shoot varmints at 800yds then yeah you had better spend some good money on a high magnification scope b/c if you buy a cheap/high magnification scope it might not get the job done.
    This guy breaks things down for you when it comes to long range shooting. From choosing a caliber through making the shot.

NTD
    Private
    Follows
    Following

I love my Midway exclusive Vortex Viper HS 5-15. I think for the price it's very tough to beat. Very nice glass with some cool features.

Private
    Follows
    Following

i have a 16x swfa and a 10x swfa. theyre great scopes for the money. i have a friend that has used 10x swfa's for years without problems. great scopes for the money.