Thread: AR-Comp Powder Review

Private
    Follows
    Following

AR-Comp Powder Review

Just got back from the range and thought I'd share my findings of Alliant's new AR-Comp Powder.

Rifle: DPMS S.A.S.S., 18 Inch Barrel 1-10 twist.
    Bullet: Hornady 168 Grain AMax

Range:100 Yards 5-Shot Groups.

First Group: 39.5 grains

Second Group: 40.0 Grains

Third Group: 40.5 Grains

Fourth Group: 41.0

Fifth Group: 41.5

I get some velocities that are pretty much on the pathetic side with the 18 inch barrel with the other powders. Average velocity with 41.5 grains of IMR-4064 is about 2430. However, with the same charge of AR-Comp I get about 2480. This is a guess because my chrono went screwy at 41.5, but with each .5 increment increase I got about a 40-50 fps increase.

So AR-Comp even gives me a much needed velocity boost.

My chosen charge is 41.5 grains. Here is an analysis of the chosen group:

I should note the little flyer was my fault. I whispered ,"Sh*t" when I shot it because I knew I screwed it up. So that said, the group would be even better if I did my part. But as it is, for an AR-10 platform I think this is a pretty damn good group.

I think I found my new favorite powder. In my opinion it shoots better than Varget, IMR4064, H4895, and RE-15. (At least it does for me) And it gave me a boost in velocity that it was supposed to do. So far I would say that it is living up to the hype. I would encourage you AR-10 Shooters to try it. Maybe it will work as well for you as it did me.

Mr. 7mm
    Follows
    Following

Re: AR-Comp Powder Review

Looks like it was only getting better, the higher your charge. Can you go higher still?

Also - any chance your groups got better as you went because you were finding your mojo....and not because of the higher charges?

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Where did you get the powder?
    Always looking for:
    AICS 308 mags
    Berger 30 cal. 185gr Hybrid Bullets

Private
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: turbo54
    Looks like it was only getting better, the higher your charge. Can you go higher still?

Also - any chance your groups got better as you went because you were finding your mojo....and not because of the higher charges?

Max charge according to alliant for the 168 AMax is 41.7. Almost at max there. I'd really doubt it is because I was getting my groove because the rifle was sandbagged. No. I am convinced that it was because of the charge. I consider this an awesome powder. I'd love to hear if anyone has good success with it also.

***EDIT*** I realized that I posted the wrong group for 41.0. The correct group is now there. As you can see the group actually gets worse then gets better.

Private
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: crackerbacks
    Where did you get the powder?

I see you are from SE Michigan so maybe you have heard of the store Double Action. I got it there. Unfortunately I went straight back there to get another pound and I got the last one left. It was yesterday they got a whole case in and it is already gone. I'm sure They will get more soon.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I called double action today and they are sold out and they haven't placed an order for more yet. Thanks for the heads up, the search continues.
    Always looking for:
    AICS 308 mags
    Berger 30 cal. 185gr Hybrid Bullets

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Sportsman warehouse had some in stock (if you have one near you). But I bought the only two pounds the Lexington store had. To be honest I was a little dissappointed with the velocities, but I think it can be loaded substantially hotter than book maxes. Groups were impressive though. For extruded, Varget was kicking it's butt, and 2000 MR was kicking all tail.
    Stag Model 8, 6H upper
    Savage 10 FCP-K, 260 criterion and 308.

"Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions."

"Don't try to save the whole world. Instead, just try to leave it a little better than you found it." Me