Thread: Reloading .223 in a Dillion 550

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Reloading .223 in a Dillion 550

Does anyone load for .223 in their 550? If so do you like the results or is it just ok? I thought about using it for loading up some praire dog loads but I would rather get some info here before I buy a complete setup for .223

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Re: Reloading .223 in a Dillion 550

Yes. On a Dillon 650. With a ball powder, it will meter better than an extruded powder.

Custom load work-up and ammunition in your firearm
    www.DallasReloads.com

If they make brass and a bullet for it, I can load it. Contact us about any caliber and bullet for pricing.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I've been using benchmark which seems to flow nicely but like I said before I would like more feedback from those that have used them before I spend the money for another conversion.

If you have tried them and didn't like them i'm ok with hearing that to.

Thanks

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Have used 550b for .223 and .22-250 for P-dog loads. stick with ball type powders for best flow, I am very hesitant about ever using extruded powder in any .22 cal cartridge again. I had some issues with "bridging" when using RL-15 in .22-250. Some charges were light and the next over, luckily I caught it before it got out of hand.
    I ran a couple of different powders in the .22-250 with 50gr V-max out of a savage 12FV, and had good luck with win 748 with both 55gr and 60 gr v-max out of a 1 in 9 twist AR.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Been running BLC2 (used up 3 of the 4 lbs I had) with good consistent results on my 450 w/all 550 upgrades except the frame change...like the one piece frame better than the interchangeable tool heads better...might be because I have two 450's so I'm not swapping dies much. If I was doing alot of die swapping I'd think a little more about that final upgrade!
    Bill C. Sgt. USMC Ret.(81-89/03-04)-One call gets all! "I have yet to master the art of teaching the man who refuses to listen" R.D. -Ignorance is Cureable,Stupidity is Forever! UNK. 9/11 Never Forget! RIP RM & TH (NYFD) my friends among the many Heroes.

SMSgt
    Follows
    Following

I load short line ammo on my 550. Works well with the smaller stick powders (H322, N135, etc). I roll the mid and LR stuff on a Redding SS.
    Eddie

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I've been loading about 2K of .223 with BL-C2 on the 550 with great result also. I tried Varget on the 550,but I have to polished the powder bar to make it smooth for stick powder, after that the Varget is dead on.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I've loaded .223 on my 550 for years, and it worked o.k. with ball powders, but, if I load for varmints, or accuracy, with Varget, I prep my cases and measure the powder with my RCBS Chargemaster.

Private
    Follows
    Following

I have better luck using Varget in a 223 than a 308. I know it's weird. But using BLC2 everything is spot on. My 223 loads work good, not percision loads but good enough for vermin and plinking.

GRIMM
    Q: Why do you carry a weapon?
    A: Because a cop is too heavy!

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I've loaded many thousands of rounds of .223 with great results.
    The ball powders do meter well and won't bridge. I tap and shake the powder column until the powder settles as much as it can and then I start to get accurate throws. The trick with stick powders (which I prefer) is to move the handle so the powder bar is cracked open and then slowly open it up. It actually isn't much slower than flying through it but it does need to become part of your rhythm. If powder does bridge you should hear the lack of sound of powder falling into the case and on the next case you will get an overflow with mess. You know to pull and re-do those two cases. Most of my "stick powder" loads are crunching and it would be impossible to overfill those. A good dose of common sense and practice and you can make tremendously accurate ammo on the 550B.
    All my service rifle ammo is made on one but I do hand weigh my 600 yard stuff because I'm a little hot on those and it's 600 yards. You'll be fine.
    spindrift ['spin,drift] verb- (Sniper / Long range shooting)
    A ballistic phenomenon that can cause a rifled bullet to drift in a direction opposite it's spin.
    also see: canted retical

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Try the TAC powder, flows like water (+-.1 gr.)and priced well too.
    I've done everything to my drop and still get Re15 and Varget to throw off .1-.3 every so often.
    Not acceptable for what I'm doing. I concur with the others, ball+Dillon=Good Stuff!

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Do a search for Dillon Powder Measure Tips. Makes Dillon Powder Measures work a lot better with big stick powders.
    Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Even after doing the "Powder measure Tips" I still had bridging with RL15 in .22-250. .308 was a different story, charge wieghts were much more uniform. The small case mouth is the culprit. I would suggest that anyone wanting to use extruded powder with smaller calibers, use the AT500 powder die with the funnel on it, and hand throw the charges.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I am also trying to reload .223 with my Dillon RL550B. What I have gathered from these posts is that BLC2 meters well through the Dillon powder measure for .223. I tried Varget with unsatisfactory results which is too bad because this is the powder I have settled on for .308. I am trying to simplify my reloading by standardizing on as few components as possible.
    NRA Benefactor Member | 1911's | AR's | GAP Crusader | Cooper 57M | Semper Paratus | non sibi sed patriae

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I've loaded thousands and thousands of 223 on a 550 and now a 650.
    In fact I am in the process of loading a couple thousand 60 grain BT's with Benchmark. It flows very well.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I use the Accurate 2230 in my 550 and it works great. I did all the powder measure "enhancements" like polishing the inside and adding a spring and thats help with loading with varget. Hardly any discrepencies with it now.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Seriously, if you want to have good results with stick powders and the dillon powder measure all you have to do is to "crack" the powder bar open and then gradually increase it. I've loaded almost 20 lbs. of varget and maybe 5 lbs. of RL-15 into .223's with no real hassle. Bridging doesn't happen but it did before I changed the way I threw stick loads. When it did happen it made an occasional mess and slowed me down, but it wasn't a safety issue as it is always detected and corrected. Ball powders throw well and are accurate if pre-settled but so are the stick powders.
    Many highpower shooters load stick powder into .223 cases with dillons, and with great results. I've even shot 600 yards with the stuff and it's almost impossible to tell the difference between it, and my hand weighed, special prepped stuff.
    spindrift ['spin,drift] verb- (Sniper / Long range shooting)
    A ballistic phenomenon that can cause a rifled bullet to drift in a direction opposite it's spin.
    also see: canted retical

Private
    Follows
    Following

BM1, BM2 and Varget all run beautifully on my powdermeasures which have had the 'fart knocker' conversions.
    Makes a big difference.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Dont pass on the ramshot powders. Im going to TAC for the 75gr and have been running Exterminator for lightweight .223 loads for a while. TAC also has an additive that allegedly reduces copper fouling but I have not worked with it enough to confirm that.

Exterminator also is fairly fast burning and works really well in the short AR barrels.
    Hit first, hit hard and let them know the only thing preventing annihilation is immediate surrender.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I was intrigued by the "fart Knocker" upgrade so I did a search and here is what I found:

Originally Posted By: TwoGun
    Use the powder you like, but the trick is to modify Dillon's powder funnel. Most if not all .223 powders will flow just fine if you take a taper reamer and open up the funnel so it has a long slow taper in the body instead of the abrupt angle Dillon puts in there which causes log jams. Polishing after reaming helps too. This is not an easy task but if accomplished makes all the difference necessary to use any stick powder .223 you like. They'll all flow well. Search the internet for tips on how to accomplish the task.

This is indeed the trick. Get a 1/8-1/2 tapered reamer at an Ace Hardware and lengthen the taper as TwoGun suggests. This will keep powders, especially the short stick powders like RE15 and Varget, from bridging and backflowing in the press. To make Varget or RL15 meter like ball, disassemble the powder funnel and polish the conical bottom with a small cloth wheel on a dremel along with some flitz [or equivalent]. It should shine like a mirror when you're done. Wax it with some auto wax. I get better results from the Dillon with Varget and RE15 measure loading progressively than I can with my redding bench measure!!

Search around here for details on these modifications.

NRA Benefactor Member | 1911's | AR's | GAP Crusader | Cooper 57M | Semper Paratus | non sibi sed patriae

Private
    Follows
    Following

I too have reloaded .223 in my 550, but I found like many others that the stick type powder that I was using, Varget, did not meter well. That's okay though as you can just take the case out, dump the load into a powder scale and trickle the final .3 grains. The part that made me purchase a Lee classic turret press to reload rifle was the huge amount of play in the toolhead was creating inconsistent COL. I hear now that there is an aftermarket solution for that, but an $80 lee classic turret is a pleasure to reload precision rifle. I leave all the pistol mass reloads to the dillon.

Private
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: Wind50cal
    Try the TAC powder, flows like water (+-.1 gr.)and priced well too.
    I've done everything to my drop and still get Re15 and Varget to throw off .1-.3 every so often.
    Not acceptable for what I'm doing. I concur with the others, ball+Dillon=Good Stuff!

+1 I do run my 223 brass thru the 650 twice. Prepare my brass first with a universal decapper then rapid trim sizer and a lyman m-die in the last station. Second time load as normal with tac, dt2200 or 748.

Private
    Follows
    Following

The fartnocker conversion as I know it, is removing the 'safety cam' off the powder measure.. ALOT smoother and accurate...
    Havn't polished anything

SND
    Private
    Follows
    Following

1911.it's post hit the mark on both counts. I modified the powder funnel and the bottom of the hopper just as outlined ... both varget and RE15 meter just as well as the ball I was using for .223. I'd add three things - 1. You can use a drill motor to rough out the powder funnel [I cut the T handle off the reamer] and do the rest by hand. 2. I did retrograde the "fail-safe" slotted bellcrank to smooth things up as another member suggests. 3. Also went with the Uniquetek precision powder baffle and micrometer measure mod on my powder bars. I set 2 APS's up; one for pistol, the other for rifle. I can load a flippin pile of very good ammo in a real short period of time and spend more time at the range!!!

SND

Private
    Follows
    Following

Anyone able to add a pic of the taper they added in the power measure funnel? Understand the concept, just looking to get a visual...

Have polished the base and that seemes to have done the trick, but "taking the corner off" of the powder path makes a lot of sense.

Thx
    ZY

SND
    Private
    Follows
    Following

Sorry, I don't - got out of the .223 biz in favor of the .308 and sold my 223 dies and funnel. What you're trying to do is increase the volume of the powder funnel channel - Put the die in a vice right side up [with leather or brass shoes to prevent scarring the die]. Insert the tapered reamer from the top and cut away. As best you can, keep the center of the reamer aligned with the center of the die. I started by hand and when it was headed the right direction, I cut the handle and used the drill motor then finished by hand. Took me maybe a 1/2 hour or 45 minutes total.

I have a sketch showing the mod. pm your email addy and I'll send it. It's a piece of cake!!

Scott

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I would like that sketch if you still have it. rgarza67@aol.com Thanks, RG