Thread: acculab vic 123 powder under scale??

Stupid can be fixed
    Follows
    Following

acculab vic 123 powder under scale??

has anyone ever had powder kernels fall underneath the weighing pan into the accualb scale? I was using it for the first time the other day and a few kernels bounced out of the tray and I think they went under the weighing platform. If I tilt the scale I can hear some small rattling inside...Sounds like powder kernels...

Will this be bad for the scales accuracy? Do I need to remove the kernels from inside the scale?? or is it not even possible to have the kernels fall in and I'm hearing something else?

on a side note, do you rezero the scale for each charge that you weigh??

Thanks for the help guys.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Re: acculab vic 123 powder under scale??

Don't know about the powder under the tray, but I do bring the scale to a full zero after each drop...also, reprogrammed the scal to very unstable" works a world better....there was an article around here somewhere...

Stupid can be fixed
    Follows
    Following

Thanks, I wasn't sure which setting to set it at. I left it at stable and it seems to read the changes quicker but it definitley shifts a bit. I'll try the very unstable setting.

I don't really want to open up my scale to get the powder out, but at the same time if it's going to jack up my readings down the line then I need to figure something out.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: WSM 650 AM Radio
    Don't know about the powder under the tray, but I do bring the scale to a full zero after each drop...also, reprogrammed the scal to very unstable" works a world better....there was an article around here somewhere...

I'd be interested in this article if you could find it.

To the OP, just re-zero the scale, and you should be good. I use tis scale for my loads with great results.

Custom load work-up and ammunition in your firearm
    www.DallasReloads.com

If they make brass and a bullet for it, I can load it. Contact us about any caliber and bullet for pricing.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I found my Acculab to be unstable below ~63F, this was a factor where I used it in the basement.. now I have the basement heated and it's much more stable.

RJ
    Every boy ought to learn how to shoot and obey orders, else he is no more good when war breaks out than a old woman, and merely gets killed like a squealing rabbit, being unable to defend himself. --- Robert Baden-Powell, 1908 ---

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I finally figured out with my acculab that it needs to warm up to be stable, I could turn it on cold, drop a 162gr amax on it, come back in 10 minutes and I would have a 180gr amax. But after I let it warm up a little while it works like a charm. I was unaware that there were stability settings on it, I would like to read that article as well, if it could be found. As for the powder in the scale I dont know how exactly its constructed but it seems to me that if that powder kernel made its way to the bottom it shouldnt be a problem. I would figure it the scale seems to work right that its ok.
    "Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for."
    Robert E. Lee

Follows
    Following

I think if you read the info on the scale it recomends you allow it to "warm up" before you do anything with it.

To the OP when you say below the pay are you referencing the removable metal pan or the actual load device below that?

Mine is the MXX-123 not sure if there is a difference.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipYkuCZ2IYI

Stupid can be fixed
    Follows
    Following

below the actual black weighing portion attached to the scale

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

There should be a star screw in the middle of the weighing platform. Unscrew it and you should be able to get the power out.

Terry
    Support Our Troops!
    They are Supporting YOU!

Stupid can be fixed
    Follows
    Following

will that void the warranty and is there any risk to doing that? If it's that simple I'd venture to try it, but not at the risk of damaging the scale. Have you done it before?

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Yes, I have removed the platform to clean the scale. My little boy dumped a container of 4350 onto the platform by accident!

I simply turned the scale upside down and got it all out. No big deal.

Terry
    Support Our Troops!
    They are Supporting YOU!

Stupid can be fixed
    Follows
    Following

yikes!! good to know, I'll give that a go!

Thanks for the info!

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Did you get the powder out?

Terry
    Support Our Troops!
    They are Supporting YOU!

Stupid can be fixed
    Follows
    Following

I haven't tried yet, been busy doing load development, I'll try here in the next day or after I'm done blowing up ammo [img]<>/smile.gif[/img]