Thread: Top End Loads For 168 SMK's in 308?

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Top End Loads For 168 SMK's in 308?

I've noticed in the Reloading Depot loads for the 168 SMK's in 308 range up to and beyond the top end load for IMR 4895 in the new Sierra #5 manual. They list the top load as 41.3 grain of IMR 4895. I see quite a few loads well above that. My Lyman # 48 also shows max loads well above 41.3 as does my older Sierra manual. I guess my question is waht is a safe load?

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Re: Top End Loads For 168 SMK's in 308?

Varies with rifle, chambering and bore dimensions and finish, brass manufacturer (i.e., what the internal water capacity of the brass is and the hardness of the brass), the lot of 4895, (IMR or Hodgson manufacturer, now that Hodgson has purchased IMR, who knows what data to believe), primer choice...seating depth...room (range)temperature at time of firing...all have a great deal to do with the final prescription. Read TresMon's stickies and then make your decision. JMHO
    N.R.A. Life Member. If you aren't, you should be.

Private
    Follows
    Following

Safe, Safe is going to be loading at the lower half of your manual
    and working up. about .2 grains at a time and reading the fired brass. Remember that Once you have your load figured out, It is
    for that rifle only.
    A people who cherish privilege over principle will soon loose both.

BCP
    Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I always go to the manufacturers' websites for load data. I believe hodgdon.com lists 45 grains as the absolute max for 4895+168 bullet, probably using winchester brass.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Posted on the internet does not equal safe. People shoot overpressure loads all the time. Doesn't mean it is safe. I try to get several reloading manuals and compare loads. Also, there is allot of surplus powder that is not exactly the same as factory fresh, so as previously stated start low and work up.

Good luck

Jerry