Thread: reloading LOW NOISE 45-70 for pest control

Private
    Follows
    Following

reloading LOW NOISE 45-70 for pest control

All the research and tooling was done by Clarkm (currently in a state of banned). Here are my results:

Rifle: Siamese mauser in 45-70.

Case has steel insert to take up the powder volume. The only space left for powder is the flash hole going up the through the steel insert.

A 150 grain cast lead bullet is loaded in the case over a tiny bit of powder. A large rifle primer is used. I do not know the velocities because a friend shot my chronograph. Here are the results:

1.) 0.8 gr. Bullseye: Quieter than a pellet gun. The bullet penetrates 3/4 inch into a log.

2.) 0.6 gr. Bullseye: Only half as loud as a pellet gun, the bullet penetrates up to its base in a log.

3.) 0.5 gr. Bullseye: Just louder than a BB gun. Bullet barely stick in the log. This load is too light to kill a raccoon IMO.

By barrysoetero at 2012-09-14

In a letter to his wife Beatrice dated May 17, 1916, Lt. George S. Patton wrote, "... you are probably wondering if my conscience hurts me for killing a man. It does not. I feel about it just as I did when I got my first swordfish; surprised at my luck."

Private
    Follows
    Following

Re: reloading LOW NOISE 45-70 for pest control

In a letter to his wife Beatrice dated May 17, 1916, Lt. George S. Patton wrote, "... you are probably wondering if my conscience hurts me for killing a man. It does not. I feel about it just as I did when I got my first swordfish; surprised at my luck."

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

That steel spacer insert, it stays put when firing?

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

That is pretty slick. Curious if the flash hole is a tube up to the powder space or just full volume with a second flash hole in the "insert". My terms are vague I realize. Do u have a cross section of the case/insert? Matt

Private
    Follows
    Following

The steel insert is just lock tited in place and it stays there just fine. The steel insert has a hole down through the center like you just drilled a hold the size of the primer flash hole all the way up through it. When the bullet it seated, the case has no powder capacity except for that ultra long flash hole. Sorry, I have no cross section. Just get a long drill bit the size of the case flash hole and drill the insert out.

I plan to try this with other cases but using JB Weld as the filler. The steel insert does not get hot from less than a grain of bullseye so I don't think JB Weld will melt. But I will find out.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: 500grains
    All the research and tooling was done by Clarkm (currently in a state of banned). Here are my results:..

You misspelled my name.
    How did I make money?
    I set my own rate for designing things using math, while communicating with managers like they were attention deficit disorder 5 year olds with a gun pointed at me.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

you can just embed some bb's into a piece of wax and load that into a case with like , 3-5 grns of powder , even better.
    " If you must carry a .25acp, don't load it. If you load it you might shoot it. If you shoot it you might hit somebody with it and he'd then be justified in killing you because you attacked him."

Private
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: MALLARD
    you can just embed some bb's into a piece of wax and load that into a case with like , 3-5 grns of powder , even better.

Have you actually tried that?

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

This is getting very interesting! I just use a 22 subs. Cheaper and less work. But it sure is interesting and sounds like fun!