View Poll Results: Which is the best option?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hollywood turret tool 50 bmg press

3 50.00%
  • Dillon BFR 50 bmg press

1 16.67%
  • Lee Classic Cast 50 bmg press

2 33.33%
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By xeroflux.net

Thread: 50 BMG - Dillon BFR vs Hollywood Turret Tool vs Lee Classic Cast

Police State Antagonist
    Follows
    Following

50 BMG - Dillon BFR vs Hollywood Turret Tool vs Lee Classic Cast

Im looking to add a 50 bmg to my stable now with "station" capabilities.... I would love to score a nice 50 bmg capable Hollywood turret press but prices on Ebay are around 800-1000 for them.... leading me to a similar priced option... the dillon BFR which is a 4 station press. The problem with the dillon is that i believe its only capable of reloading on the 50 bmg whereas i will still want to reload for 300 win mag, 308, 223, etc... I did notice it uses standard 1 1/2"-12 UNF threaded dies. so what is keeping this press from being able to use a thread adapter and utilizing standard 7/8"-14 dies yeah the stroke will be a bit much for say a 223 but it should still be able to physically work right? This leads me to my cheapest option... buy 4 or 5 cheap LEE classic cast presses to use as die stations... allowing me to not have to re measure and reset each die as i would on a single stage only setup. What are yalls thoughts?

Dillon

hollywood

lee

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Have you checked out the RCBS Ammo Master deal? I realize it is a single station, but....
    BTW if you can get the Hollywood press pictured (or one in as good a shape), you're set for life. It's the one press I've always wanted, but never found one in 95%+ kind of condition. I figure if you're going to get a Hollywood, get a good one.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    I went with the RCBS 50 and would be able to load other ammo on it if I didn't have a Dillon 550. The RCBS 50 is a nice press.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

so cheap and 50 bmg never go hand in hand or should be around each other. BUT, I have FL resized/primed around 300 right now and its functioned perfectly so far. im still waiting on bullets, you know how tht goes right now. the LEE kit is nice and gets the job done. so I wouldn't say its cheap but a budget buy. the weakest part of LEEs presses is tht linkage with the teeth.
    with tht said, if I had the money. I woulda got the Dillon for sure. the warranty and me living in Az makes it worth it. but the fuckin thing is dam expensive.

Ive heard tht RCBS makes the Hornady 50 press but cant confirm. im gonna run the piss outta tht LEE til it shits on me then ill use LEES warranty til they piss me off, by then ill have enough saved up for a Dillon and there 800 dies.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    I would not go with the LEE only because it doesn't use standard thread dies, and that might be something you want in the future. I'd get either the Hornady or the RCBS set up. BTW I am looking to sell my Hollywood, but I see you already know how much it costs. Mine is the senior, not the one you have pictured.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer822 View Post

Ive heard tht RCBS makes the Hornady 50 press but cant confirm. im gonna run the piss outta tht LEE til it shits on me then ill use LEES warranty til they piss me off, by then ill have enough saved up for a Dillon and there 800 dies.
    I've heard the same thing about the RCBS and the Hornady with subtle differences. The Hornady will have a bushing for their LNL bushings to reload with 7/8x14 dies, and I've also heard that the Hornady 50bmg dies are a little better than the RCBS. I went with the RCBS though.
    Last edited by Iamironman; 06-12-2013 at 07:49 AM.

Rifle Instructor
    Follows
    Following
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamironman View Post
    I would not go with the LEE only because it doesn't use standard thread dies, and that might be something you want in the future. I'd get either the Hornady or the RCBS set up. BTW I am looking to sell my Hollywood, but I see you already know how much it costs. Mine is the senior, not the one you have pictured.

I've heard the same thing about the RCBS and the Hornady with subtle differences. The Hornady will have a bushing for their LNL bushings to reload with 7/8x14 dies, and I've also heard that the Hornady 50bmg dies are a little better than the RCBS. I went with the RCBS though.

it has a adapter it comes with.. works great...
    FREE Ballistic calculator & Printable targets.
    http://sites.google.com/site/freeballisticcalculator/

Police State Antagonist
    Follows
    Following

I'm looking into getting a lee classic cast bored and rethreaded for 1-1/2" 12tpi. if i can do this on my drill press i may go this route since i can get the presses for about 100 bucks

Police State Antagonist
    Follows
    Following

pulled the trigger on a hollywood that needs some love...

pawprint2 likes this.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    it has a adapter it comes with.. works great...
    The adapter is for using 7/8x14 thread dies. The LEE 50 bmg dies are still not the industry standard 1 1/2x12

Police State Antagonist
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by pawprint2 View Post
    Have you checked out the RCBS Ammo Master deal? I realize it is a single station, but....
    BTW if you can get the Hollywood press pictured (or one in as good a shape), you're set for life. It's the one press I've always wanted, but never found one in 95%+ kind of condition. I figure if you're going to get a Hollywood, get a good one.

well I decided to find one in good mechanical condition that will need some cleanup. im gonna rip it down when I get home. check all bearing surfaces, etc.... id rather go this route then find one on ebay that looks pretty but may have just been blasted and repainted. at least this way i know what's been done to it to recondition it.

Rifle Instructor
    Follows
    Following
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamironman View Post
    The adapter is for using 7/8x14 thread dies. The LEE 50 bmg dies are still not the industry standard 1 1/2x12

no, for normal small dies.... the lee 50 dies are great... so is the press... not worried if it works with anything else...
    FREE Ballistic calculator & Printable targets.
    http://sites.google.com/site/freeballisticcalculator/