Thread: Remington Model 700 XCR / Tactical vs 700P

Private
    Follows
    Following

Remington Model 700 XCR / Tactical vs 700P

Well, tried search engine, but 200 hits, but wrong information looking for [img]<>/cry.gif[/img] My question is I am trying to compare these 2 rifles. I know some of the differences, but not enough to make a hands down pick for a new rifle. The rifle would be 308, 26in barrel for beyond 500+.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Re: Remington Model 700 XCR / Tactical vs 700P

700 XCR gets my vote.

Jack of all Trades
    Follows
    Following

Buy the 700P, it's cheaper and has a better stock. Or save even more money and buy a SPS Tactical. You will most likely change out the stock on any of these rifles, so you might was well save some money since the metal is the same.
    “Thor carries a hammer, Jesus was nailed to a cross. My god wins.”
    “Social order at the expense of liberty is hardly a bargain” Marquis de Sade
    "He who will not reason is a Bigot; he who cannot is a Fool; and he who dares not is a Slave." Sir William Drummond

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

is the metel really the same?, I'm really asking. Thanks.
    There are some days we are just damn good. There are some days we are just lucky. Rarely those two come together and some amazing shit occurs. We need that to offset the days when we are not so good, not so lucky, and end up with flag draped coffins. -LoneWolfUSMC

Jack of all Trades
    Follows
    Following

Yea, pretty much. Different finishes, barrel length, and fluting don't really mean that much. I would concentrate on getting a Rem 700 with a heavy barrel for the cheapest price. Therefore any of the following would be good to start on in my opinion. VLS, SPS Tactical, LTR, PSS or 700P, because they are better priced that the 'new, high speed' models'.
    “Thor carries a hammer, Jesus was nailed to a cross. My god wins.”
    “Social order at the expense of liberty is hardly a bargain” Marquis de Sade
    "He who will not reason is a Bigot; he who cannot is a Fool; and he who dares not is a Slave." Sir William Drummond

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Thanks.
    There are some days we are just damn good. There are some days we are just lucky. Rarely those two come together and some amazing shit occurs. We need that to offset the days when we are not so good, not so lucky, and end up with flag draped coffins. -LoneWolfUSMC

Private
    Follows
    Following

Between the P vs the XCR, I can get nearly 2 Ps for the price of a XCR. Add a little more of coarse, but down the road I would like to add a AICS Rifle Upgrade Kit, after a little wear & tear.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Or just buy an SPS-V w/ the 26" barrel for $500 and then spend $750 on an McMillan A4. Last I saw, the XCR's were around $1000-1100.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I went with the XCR because I like the XCR's green stock and the stainless action. I plan on upgrading after I shoot out the stock barrel, the price difference didn't really matter. If you can't wait to upgrade, get the PSS.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I like the idear that the XCR compact is stainless steel.The stock looks like the 1 on the LTR,only it is green.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

On the Remington web sight the pic they have of the XCR compact shows a very nice looking green colored stock.Does it look that good in person.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Here's a pic of my .300WM XCR Tactical. The triggers on the XCRs are great by the way. Just got the Badger base, rings and brake recently.

"You absolutely need to be a diehard 1911 aficionado, and must be ready to accept that you could buy two to four of any other modern service pistol for the price of one 1911 that is good to go. You will not find any true bargains, nor should you be looking for one when your safety is on the line."- Hilton Yam

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

If upgrading is the plan, I'd go SPS varmint. For the cost of an XCR Tactical, you could do a SPS Varmint with a McMillan/Manners/and almost afford an AICS stock. You'd end up with a rifle more apt to fit you better that way. Just me though, but that is how I'd do it.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

the 700p is the best choice for you.The stock is not bad at all and you can sell it quickly to help finance the next stock
    Don't be afraid to see what you see.

Ronald Regan

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

what are the 700p's running price wise these days.

Private
    Follows
    Following

Well, the 700P range has been in the area of $840+. XCR is the area of $1100+. I have been told depends on whom and were they come from. Just like anything the magnums rounds are a little more. Depending on what your needs are and what your plans would be. I have been given a lot of ideas on the different levels with the different 700s. The main thing is a heavy barrel with 26in length, in 308, 300WM. [img]<>/cool.gif[/img]

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

so price considerd would you buy a 700P or 5R for a little more, and why, Thanks.

Private
    Follows
    Following

Buy a Remington 700 SPS Varmint which is the same as the 700 P except for the crap stock. Then buy a replacement stock either McMillan or H-S Precision. Presto! You have a mighty respectable rifle for cheap.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Don't forget that the SPS Varmint's finish is just matte blued.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

700 SPS-V. It does the same thing for a lot less.
    Wherever - Whatever - However
    8541tactical.com

Private
    Follows
    Following

Before one can judge a rifle, one must first own it.

The XCR Tactical is a great rifle. I own one. Shoots less than 1/2" at 100 yards all F'ing day. For the money, which rifle can do better?

SPS, 700P, 5R, ETC. are all great models. Better than the XCR Tactical....maybe not. Just because yours shoot pretty good doesn't mean the next guy's will too. So don't prejudge.

And, I don't think Remington would put the XCR Tactical in there Tactical Department if it didn't have what it takes.

Private
    Follows
    Following

Quote:
    Just because yours shoot pretty good doesn't mean the next guy's will too. So don't prejudge

Don't mean to be argumentative, but doesn't that apply to your XCR Tactical too? I don't recall anyone saying other models were better than the XCR btw, I mean, nobody 'judged' against the rifle...

I believe the reason Remington introduced the XCR tactical for the fact there's a demand in SS tactical gear. I for once have been 'coveting' a Stainless steel action tactical rig. The XCR tac is indeed a decent setup but Rem doesn't offer them in 300WM [img]<>/frown.gif[/img]

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: Trotchye
    Quote:
    Just because yours shoot pretty good doesn't mean the next guy's will too. So don't prejudge

Don't mean to be argumentative, but doesn't that apply to your XCR Tactical too? I don't recall anyone saying other models were better than the XCR btw, I mean, nobody 'judged' against the rifle...

I believe the reason Remington introduced the XCR tactical for the fact there's a demand in SS tactical gear. I for once have been 'coveting' a Stainless steel action tactical rig. The XCR tac is indeed a decent setup but Rem doesn't offer them in 300WM [img]<>/frown.gif[/img]

See posts above, the pic of my XCR Tactical is a .300WM. Just cause you don't see them on gunbroker doesn't mean they don't exist.... google is a hell of a tool [img]<>/wink.gif[/img]
    "You absolutely need to be a diehard 1911 aficionado, and must be ready to accept that you could buy two to four of any other modern service pistol for the price of one 1911 that is good to go. You will not find any true bargains, nor should you be looking for one when your safety is on the line."- Hilton Yam

Private
    Follows
    Following

just come to have a look
    --------------------------------
    offer you something special:&#12288;
    http://www.cntradeshop.com/product.a...1&Nclassid=262