Thread: How fast do you shoot??

Private
    Follows
    Following

How fast do you shoot??

I just built a 7mm WSM with a 25" Kreiger #5. I know I am shooting too quickly and not letting the barrel cool properly, but I am just too excited and can't quit shooting.. How long between shots/groups should I wait for the barrel to cool to get an "accurate" group. Three shots are usually fine, but five shot groups seem to dance around a bit.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Re: How fast do you shoot??

i take my time when shooting so maybe 15 rounds shot slowly before i switch guns to let it cool, if you dont have any rounds loaded for anything else get in some trigger time with the .22 @ 100
    idiots are fun, no wonder every village has one.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: spencer
    How long between shots/groups should I wait for the barrel to cool to get an "accurate" group.

I don't chase group sizes.

I shoot as fast as I need to solve the problem at hand. If I am specifically working on speed, I take a break when mirage is dicking up my sight picture too bad. The barrel is usually smoking hot at that point.

If I am shooting a dot drill I am usually standing up and walking around between dots because I want to separate each shot into it's own exercise.

I don't see a lot of purpose in shooting groups unless you just want to be able to brag about it. Group sizes rarely win tactical matches and don't matter at all in hunting or combat.
    Wherever - Whatever - However
    8541tactical.com

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Only time I really ever shoot groups is when I do load development. Other then that hitting steel on a cold bore shot is a lot more fun then little groups. IMHO

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Bring a 22 to shoot in between strings.
    Killing stuff since 1976

Private
    Follows
    Following

Trying to develop loads on a new gun. That's why I asked about shooting groups

JCH
    Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I usually quit shooting that particular rifle when I can't keep my hand on the barrel for 5 seconds.
    Everything I need to know about Islam...
    I learned on 9/11.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

When I do load development, I want to know how a load will perform under match conditions. In a match, you don't get to pause between shots...I don't worry about my barrel cooling down.
    It is the first two letters of Guns, Guitars, Bikes and Cars...I have no idea how its pronounced...just call me Brian

Rolling Hills Rifle and Pistol Club. facebook.com/rhrpc

I am not a sniper...

But I play one on the weekends.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I shoot pretty fast. I try to focus on dot drills and such, but even when I am shooting for groups, a 5 shot group takes me 30-45 seconds. I take the shot when I am ready, which doesn't take too long at this point due to the time I have put in practicing the fundamentals.

If you are shooting a barrel burner, it is good to have another gun to shoot to occupy your time while you are waiting for the barrel to cool. I set up a steel target and practice my offhand carbine, but the .22 was good advice as well.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

testing what load groups best in your gun should be purely to see how small the load is, if you shoot one load with a cold barrel and one with a smokin hot barrel then your not truly going to know which one is the better load. go for fun fast shooting after you already have the load your stickin with
    idiots are fun, no wonder every village has one.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: pink(MiST)
    Only time I really ever shoot groups is when I do load development. Other then that hitting steel on a cold bore shot is a lot more fun then little groups. IMHO

Got that right.....
    marksman do it longer !!!!!!
    Savage Model 12 LRPV .223 topped with Leupold 4.5x14x40 Varmint hunter retical---Trigger set at 6oz..

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I seem to remember somewhere on here where LowLight shot a target at 100, shot 20 rounds at 500 yards in rapid succession (no loss of accuracy, but cameraman made me queazy), then dialed back to 100 and was sub-moa from first shot. I think the total time was under 2 minutes. Just sayin...

Barrel heat POI Shift
    Grim Reaper Tactical
    1200 Adams St
    Klamath Falls, OR
    Phone: 541-281-8585