Thread: new stock and bottom metal for savage?

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

new stock and bottom metal for savage?

Just got a savage 10pc for a steal and wanted to do away with the accustock for something a bit more comfortable. I was thinking something along the lines of HS? I dont want to put a ton into this thing beings as its going to be a budget build. Also wanted to see about putting some decent bottom metal on it to do away with these flimsy dbm's. I dont know if thats possible with the bolt release being in front of the trigger guard though? Any help or input would be appreciatted!

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Re: new stock and bottom metal for savage?

call Kevin Rayhill at Stockade Gunstocks for inexpensive and decent, he does stocks for as low as $180ish and he has a DBM design too

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I would exactly call Savages DBM flimsy and we can now get 10 round mags from a couple of souces. If you don't want to put a ton of money into it just get the HS stock inletted for the savage DBM and save yourself 250 or more. I don't know if anyone is making bottom metal for the newer bolt release.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I know z71rat is making the 10rnd conversion mags, but would like to get some different bottom metal if its do-able. I would also like to get the badger mount that gets embeded in the stock for mounting the night vision for the night shooting.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Deadeye is also making mags just like SSS's but 10 rounders and very durable. I think that FM is right about Stockade mking the new bottom metal It seems like someone else was talking about it. Below is a link to deadeyes site.

http://www.darkeaglecustom.com/products.html

General Nuisance
    Follows
    Following

i dont think you will get that mount in an HS stock due to the construction, its not very stiff up there on my HS. and you can look in the used section for savage stocks, there are a few at times. sounds like rayhill is the guy to call. you know if you want different DBM try http://CDIPRECISIONGUNWORKS.COM

i wonder if the receivers could be retrofitted to use the other bolt release?

also look over on savage shooters forum. look for http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...php?board=64.0
    savage MA-10 ruger kimber ford
    http://www.supermotors.net/registry/1445

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: AXEMAN
    i dont think you will get that mount in an HS stock due to the construction, its not very stiff up there on my HS. rayhill is the guy to call. you know if you want different DBM try http://CDIPRECISIONGUNWORKS.COM

i wonder if the receivers could be retrofitted to use the other bolt release?

A little mill work is all it should need.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Thanks for all the quick responses. Worst case scenario ill use the factory bottom metal and some conversion mags!

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

bought a B&C from Stockade and really love it, great company to deal with......really gotta get the CDI conversion....every time I almost have the money, I get distracted by some other shiny gun or gun thing-a-mumbobe.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: desertfox01
    bought a B&C from Stockade and really love it, great company to deal with......really gotta get the CDI conversion....every time I almost have the money, I get distracted by some other shiny gun or gun thing-a-mumbobe.

You have the same problem i do! Now I have all this shit sitting around that isnt complete. Lesson learned, one thing at a time from now on!!!!!

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I saw somewhere that the b&c wasn't a good fit . I'm not sure where I saw it but a couple people said it had the bolt handle in a bind

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Is the accustock detachable bottom metal?

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: toddconley

To be honest I haven't tried, I would assume it is though. If I get some time tonight I will check it out.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

This.

http://www.tacticalworks.com/Savage-Stag...-SKU162021.html

Just remember to measure the bolt spacing. This link is for the 4.275 spacing.

Edit- sorry, didn't see that you had the Accustock.
    "You see us? We’re the people kicking your ass. Fear us, because we will kill you, motherfu*ker.”

-Chris Kyle

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: toddconley

The lady is getting in a little later then I thought, I just pulled the rifle down and the bottom metal IS detachable.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Deadeye has both 10 rd mags and extended mag releases.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

its looking like there is no stock bottom metal for the new bolt release, or atleast I haven't seen any in my searches, looks like conversion mags are going to be the ticket

General Nuisance
    Follows
    Following

ACME conversion will work with either bolt spacing. jeff at cdi said he was working on something for the new mag release. you may be able to swap back to the old bolt release system. call rayhill at stockade and see if his DBM will work with the 4.275" and if you call savage or jim at northland or maybe SSS they will have the old bottom metal from stuff they have converted. there was a guy selling 2 or 3 factory DBM and 4 rnd savage stuff here a while back. cant imagine he sold them all. google search this site or advanced search the sale section

i also wondered about tig welding the hole and making a new one at 4.40" but never got past thinking about it.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: AXEMAN
    ACME conversion will work with either bolt spacing. jeff at cdi said he was working on something for the new mag release. you may be able to swap back to the old bolt release system. call rayhill at stockade and see if his DBM will work with the 4.275" and if you call savage or jim at northland or maybe SSS they will have the old bottom metal from stuff they have converted. there was a guy selling 2 or 3 factory DBM and 4 rnd savage stuff here a while back. cant imagine he sold them all. google search this site or advanced search the sale section

i also wondered about tig welding the hole and making a new one at 4.40" but never got past thinking about it.

I can take the bottom metal off my factory stock and use that, I just wanted to upgrade to some quality metal from badger or something similar.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Stokade is the Savage place for info and work, Kevin's a great guy.

General Nuisance
    Follows
    Following

for savage, CDI and VBull is the only option for real bottom metal. then you have the SSS version and the stockade version. no that either isnt a good deal, but its not the "full" bottom metal that you think of.

call CDI and ask jeff if he ever got the DBM to work with the new savage bolt release. if not, see about converting back to the other style