Thread: Tikka 223 New Twist Rate

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Tikka 223 New Twist Rate

I had planned to order a Tikka T3 lite stainless next week in a 1 in 8 twist but I have heard that it has been changed to a 10 twist. Is this true? How heavy a bullet can a 10 twist stabilize?

Private
    Follows
    Following

I bought another T3 lite about 3 weeks ago and had the choice of a 1-8 or 1-12 (ordered new from the factory), just checked the Tikka website and they don't list a 1-10...Again it might be a very recent change and they haven't updated their site?

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I just bought a sako 85 stainless varmint .223 and it also came in 1:10. Got it from eurooptic and they said thats what they are offering now.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Newer ones are indeed 1:10 this side of the pond. Seems the Europeans and Aussies are still able to get the 1:8's. I was able to snag a 1:8 stainless varmint off Gunbroker a couple days ago. Wasn't listed as 1:8, but an enlarged inspection of some of the pictures revealed the twist stamping on the barrel. Can't wait to get it in my hands.

I do see teh 1:8 Lites pop up too. There was a blued one on Gunbroker a couple days ago. Don't know if it is still there.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

What bullet weights run best in this twist rate?

Private
    Follows
    Following

I have a rem 700P in 1:9 and the heaviest I can get is around 70gr. Personally, I would not buy another .223 bolt rifle in anything less than 1:8-- unless you plan to keep your shooting under 200 yards or are simply trying to get hits on big pieces of plate steel.

The .223 is cheap to load and learn on, but not much you can do with it distance wise if you can't shoot the 75gr+ bullets. Really, strongly consider what you want to do with this rifle...

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    I had a Sig 556 DMR that came with a 21" 10-twist barrel. Contrary to the popular belief of many internet theoretical keyboard ballisticians, it worked just fine with everything I shot out of it, up to and including 77 gr SMKs. Having said that, why risk getting a rifle that just might be limited to only the lighter (shorter) pills? Go with the 1:8 twist barrel if you can get it, but if not, I would be looking for something else that actually does come with an 8-twist or 7-twist barrel.
    Last edited by gstaylorg; 12-03-2013 at 01:56 AM.
    I mean it...get off my lawn!

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Thanks for the replies. The only rifle I could find was a 10 twist. It is my Dad's Christmas present. I had originally wanted to get him a Savage 10 PC 9 twist but He said he liked the Tikka better and would be fine with the twist rate. We have two 9 twist 223s and both will shoot the 77gr match kings very well. It is going to be used for hunting anyway so a 65 grain game king will be as large as he will try to go. It should be here in a few days.

OAF in training
    Follows
    Following

beretta is determined to ruin any chance of tikka's and sako's selling well here. WTF!
    some one over there needs to get a clue and hire a rifle salesmen. rant off.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Glad I grabbed my Tac when I did.

These guys would sell a bazillion of these rifles if they got their feces together and offered what EVERYONE wants. It's like they are deliberately trying to screw it up for us.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by sakobob View Post
    beretta is determined to ruin any chance of tikka's and sako's selling well here. WTF!
    You can't just blame Beretta. The highly regarded pre-Beretta M595 Master Sporter had a 1:12 barrel when chambered for .223.

A professional is someone who can do his best work when he doesn't feel like it.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    I shoot 80 grainers in my rem700 tactical 1/9 twist,just have to get them up to speed .

OAF in training
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmore View Post
    You can't just blame Beretta. The highly regarded pre-Beretta M595 Master Sporter had a 1:12 barrel when chambered for .223.

that is the only way they made it, but when they offer other twists and models and don't bring them here,that is the problem
    i'm referring to. i get that a lot of there rifles won't sell here but what does it take to throw a few in the container for some of
    there larger dealers if they had a request for a couple off the norm. prime example trg 22 in 260 they build them but don't sell them here,
    europtics proved there is a market for it. . . . twice!.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    I have to agree with sakobob here. I am a HUGE Tikka fan. Have owned several, with the crown jewel being my UGSW Tikka .260 built off of an old T3 Lite .270 action. If Beretta could do it wrong, they have. Their customer service sucks. They import the wrong (or not enough models). It's honestly a tossup between King Barry and Beretta who I hate more.

John
    "Those who do not study history are destined to repeat it."

There is no such thing as "The Perfect Scope". But I continue to look...

"Will I learn what's truly sacred?
    Will I redeem my soul, will truth set me free?" - Sharon den Adel

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

that is the only way they made it, but when they offer other twists and models and don't bring them here,that is the problem
    i'm referring to. i get that a lot of there rifles won't sell here but what does it take to throw a few in the container for some of
    there larger dealers if they had a request for a couple off the norm. prime example trg 22 in 260 they build them but don't sell them here,
    europtics proved there is a market for it. . . . twice!.
    Point taken.
    A professional is someone who can do his best work when he doesn't feel like it.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I shoot 223 in 8, 9, 12 twists.
    10 should be a good place to be for 50, 52''s and 69gr bullets. 52 and 69 perform and there are others. Plenty others. 600yds capable and awesome 300yd PD gun. What a 223 does best.