Thread: Couple of Savage Rifles - Looking For Comments, etc.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Couple of Savage Rifles - Looking For Comments, etc.

I found these two Savage rifles for sale and would like to hear input, reviews, etc. on them. (accuracy, dependability, availability of aftermarket accessories and parts, etc.)

Also, I believe I read where someone said it was difficult to get an aftermarket stock for the Savage rifles that have the bolt release on the bottom. Any comments on this? Are the aftermarket stocks limited for this feature?

Here are links to the rifles in question:

Savage 10 P 308 20-inch HVY BRL Black : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

Savage 10 P-SR 308 18-inch HVY THR Black : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

Thanks and, as always, I appreciate everyone's input.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    If your looking for a donor to upgrade then get this one.

Savage Model 11 Hog Hunter 308 Win Threaded Barrel : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

Side release with tons of stock options. The medium varmint barrel is 1/10 twist and already threaded.

I dropped one of the bottom release actions into a Boyd's thumb hole. It worked fine with some in letting work. Options are limited though.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by Danco411 View Post
    If your looking for a donor to upgrade then get this one.

Savage Model 11 Hog Hunter 308 Win Threaded Barrel : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

Side release with tons of stock options. The medium varmint barrel is 1/10 twist and already threaded.

I dropped one of the bottom release actions into a Boyd's thumb hole. It worked fine with some in letting work. Options are limited though.
    Only problem I see with this one is that it may be a while before I can upgrade it and this model has a blind magazine instead of a hinged floor plate or DBM which is something I really don't like. However, I guess there are sometimes things you have to make due with in order to get the end result.

Any other suggestions on models that have the bolt release on top and would be a good starter rifle?

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MAG00
    Any other suggestions on models that have the bolt release on top and would be a good starter rifle?
    12LRP or 10FCP McMillan...but those are both a fair bit more expensive than the 10P/P-SR or Hog Hunter.

There are a couple issues with bottom bolt release Savages:
    1. You basically have to get a custom stock, as Choate and Boyd (IIRC) are the only readily available aftermarket options for Savage factory DBM, and
    2. If you want to run AICS magazines, you have very few options for bottom metal that is compatible with the bottom release.

The nice thing about a Hog Hunter is its price point. The stock is garbage, but you can buy the rifle for $450, pop off the iron sights, drop it in a Bell & Carlson A2 Medalist #2997 for $250, and be shooting with a budget-friendly but capable package. Its worth nothing on a centerfeed Savage, the blind magazine is 3.00" long, WAY longer than a S/A 700. I ran 6.5mm 130gr Bergers @ 2.94" COAL through mine and it worked perfectly.

If you absolutely must have a DBM, send your A2 Medalist to CDI Precision to be inletted for their DBM for $60. The part number for a Savage factory steel DBM is 106238 ($68) and a 308 magazine is 55015 ($50), and the Savage factory DBM will fit beautifully in a CDI inlet. And if you want to use AICS mags down the road, your stock will already be inletted for CDI's excellent DBM.
    My Savage 110 long action 223AI

223AI/90gr Berger VLD

"Everybody says 'buy once Cry once' then tells a guy to start on a 308?" - Jon Lester

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    12LRP or 10FCP McMillan...but those are both a fair bit more expensive than the 10P/P-SR or Hog Hunter.

There are a couple issues with bottom bolt release Savages:
    1. You basically have to get a custom stock, as Choate and Boyd (IIRC) are the only readily available aftermarket options for Savage factory DBM, and
    2. If you want to run AICS magazines, you have very few options for bottom metal that is compatible with the bottom release.

The nice thing about a Hog Hunter is its price point. The stock is garbage, but you can buy the rifle for $450, pop off the iron sights, drop it in a Bell & Carlson A2 Medalist #2997 for $250, and be shooting with a budget-friendly but capable package. Its worth nothing on a centerfeed Savage, the blind magazine is 3.00" long, WAY longer than a S/A 700. I ran 6.5mm 130gr Bergers @ 2.94" COAL through mine and it worked perfectly.

If you absolutely must have a DBM, send your A2 Medalist to CDI Precision to be inletted for their DBM for $60. The part number for a Savage factory steel DBM is 106238 ($68) and a 308 magazine is 55015 ($50), and the Savage factory DBM will fit beautifully in a CDI inlet. And if you want to use AICS mags down the road, your stock will already be inletted for CDI's excellent DBM.
    This is excellent information. Thanks. I don't have to have a DBM, but would at least like to have a hinged floor plate so that I don't have to cycle the ammo to unload the rifle. Is this a simple add on that wouldn't have to be sent off to be done?

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    Savage doesn't really "do" a BDL-style hinged floor plate; honestly I wasn't aware that they even offered it until 5 minutes ago on Google.

Don't know the part number for the hinged floorplate (11 FHSS or 11 BTH are models that have them) but you could call Savage and ask. My guess (could be wrong) is that it uses a factory DBM inlet.
    My Savage 110 long action 223AI

223AI/90gr Berger VLD

"Everybody says 'buy once Cry once' then tells a guy to start on a 308?" - Jon Lester