Thread: 7mm mag or 7mm practical?

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

7mm mag or 7mm practical?

Well folks. This Saturday I am heading to my gunsmiths shop to put a deposit down on a build. I already have a donor rifle and have already decided on what stock I'm going to use. What I haven't decided on is caliber. I do however have it narrowed down to either 7mm rem mag or the 7mm practical (a 300wm case necked down to 7mm) is there any real reason why I shouldn't choose a wildcat cartridge for my first precision rifle? Thoughts and suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
    Keep it real, keep it safe.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

What are you looking to do with it? I find the 7mm mag to reach out plenty far for my needs

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I apologize. The use of the rifle will be tactical/practical match shooting. Out to 1300 yds (the actual average of all shots is only 750 yds I believe) with a bonus target at 1 mile. It's doubtful that the rifle will see any time in the woods.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

What about 7mmRUM? It is not belted.
    Originally Posted By: Bowman

This is a clear conspiracy that exposes the impending plot of all cops to shoot people at random and revoke rights.

ARREST THE BANKS!!!!!!!!!

Mr. 7mm
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by prodigalson View Post
    I apologize. The use of the rifle will be tactical/practical match shooting. Out to 1300 yds (the actual average of all shots is only 750 yds I believe) with a bonus target at 1 mile. It's doubtful that the rifle will see any time in the woods.
    Personally, I think 7RM (nevermind 7 practical) is pretty serious overkill for your stated purposes.

It sounds to me like your talking about TVP in Ohio, where I shoot frequently. A 6, 6.5 or 7 pushed by ~45gr of powder is absolutely adequate for this.

I don't think it makes a lot of sense to build a rifle around ONE target you'll encounter during a course of fire.

That said, if I must advise either 7RM or 7P, I say 7RM....begrudgingly.

Even my 284 is has more than enough horsepower for targets out past 1300, though I admit the "mile" shot could use more HP.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    284 shehane, never done one and not sure if it is worth the extra work but it is something to look into.
    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. -John Stuart Mill

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I like the Originals. 300WM for me. I like 7 mag just fine and will certainly do the same job in most cases. I just like pushing heavier projos.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    Anybody know what the barrel life on a 7rm is like? Are people getting more life out of the practical?
    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. -John Stuart Mill

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    So just to be clear, is the 7mm practical the same thing as 7mm-300 win mag?

And what is the difference between it and the 284 jarrett?

thanks

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

It is TVP where I will be shooting mostly. And I had a sneaking suspicion that most people would recommend the 7rm. My donor rifle is a magnum,and that's why I'm sticking with a magnum round. Thank you all. Hopefully in a few weeks ill have pictures of the build to post.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Have you looked into 7 Rogue? It's a 7-300WM but with a long neck. It should have better barrel life than the practical. Either way its overkill probably.
    Last edited by PowerstrokeOBX; 05-01-2013 at 07:45 AM.

Private
    Follows
    Following

Between the two, I'd vote 7mm RM. Another round to consider, though not a magnum is 280 AI. It's only 100 FPS off the 7mm RM, has less recoil, and easier on the barrel. Nosler 280 AI brass is manufactured for them by Lapua as well.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by turbo54 View Post
    Personally, I think 7RM (nevermind 7 practical) is pretty serious overkill for your stated purposes.

It sounds to me like your talking about TVP in Ohio, where I shoot frequently. A 6, 6.5 or 7 pushed by ~45gr of powder is absolutely adequate for this.

I don't think it makes a lot of sense to build a rifle around ONE target you'll encounter during a course of fire.

Even my 284 is has more than enough horsepower for targets out past 1300, though I admit the "mile" shot could use more HP.
    I agree with Turbo.

I tried 7mag using 180 grain bullets for a similar match and it was too much gun. 6.5 is a good compromise with less recoil, expense + better barrel life.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

How about the 7mm/378 Wby!
    We are witnessing the collapse of our culture, our society, politically, morally, and religiously. Lawmakers need to realize specially with gun control you cannot use collective solutions to correct individual problems.

Skyking
    Follows
    Following

Between the two? The Practical! 7-300 Win Bighorn Action

For your purpose I would go 7wsm

VKC
    Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    7wsm gets vote.

Bolt Shooter
    Follows
    Following
    Yep, 7WSM get's my vote as well great cartridge but the 6.5mm will get the job done.
    Sully

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I shot a friends sendero 7mag last week, it has a muzzle break and kicks like my 6.5 Creedmoor now, not to mention its a boss in the wind, I ordered my action yesterday to start my 7 mag build, but I have zero experience with the 7mm practical

Douchebag Hauler
    Follows
    Following
    I ran a 7RM as my first match gun caliber. I ran the Amax at first then switched to the 180 smk which was quite a bit better. My barrel went about 1100 rounds and it was toast. On the rebarrel I went with a straight .284. Does everything I need better and at 800+ rounds, it is still rocking right along.

Something to consider for a match rifle using wildcat/expensive brass is, some will get lost during the match. Also, most steel ranges have limits on speed/calibers if that is something that may be in your future.
    NCPPRC.com Spartanrifles.com Libertyoptics.com CStactical.com
    Seekinsprecision.com Vortexoptics.com Sportoptics.com

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    7 WSM. All I shoot at ASC

jnz
    Student
    Follows
    Following

I'd only recommend any WSM if your action is custom short/intermediate or long. I got to run out a couple short mags in 700 actions and hated how every single one of them fed. So, 7RM or 300wm would be my advice

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo54 View Post

^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS, i shot against these guys and i will say this, their rigs are lasers. they won the last intimidator i went to. looking forward to shooting with you at the sniper match turbo

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    also look at the 7 RSAUM for the long action magnum build.
    Originally Posted By: Lowlight
    You guys are seriously Pussies Elite if you are talking about recoil differences between two different 308 bullets.

I think I have heard it all and can die now, surely the world can't exist much longer with this line of thinking.