Thread: Trigger Help for Rem 700 7WSM build

BWB
    Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Trigger Help for Rem 700 7WSM build

I'm wondering what trigger you guys would recommend for a Rem 700? I'm building a 7WSM for longer range shooting, I like my triggers light but also want to it to be safe. This is my first build off a Remington action so your help is appreciated!

Private
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by BWB View Post
    I'm wondering what trigger you guys would recommend for a Rem 700? I'm building a 7WSM for longer range shooting, I like my triggers light but also want to it to be safe. This is my first build off a Remington action so your help is appreciated!

The factory triggers can be taken down to a touch over 1 pound by a GOOD gunsmith and retain the safety.
    If you want top of the line get a Jewell HVR and set it were you like it.
    There are others out there but the Jewell is the easiest to install as everything doesn't fall off without spare pins.

BWB
    Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Does anyone have any experience with the Timney 510? I see they make one with a flat trigger and that kind of intrigues me, thoughts?

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I just got a TIMNEY with the flat trigger face for my M700. Overall, I'm very pleased.....frankly, I like it better than the Jewell that I had on a previous rifle.
    Best,

Will Fennell
    TEAM USA
    www.willfennell.com

BWB
    Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I like the idea of flat trigger blade with a more vertical grip of the McMillan A3-5, I appreciate the feedback.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    Ive got 3 Jewells and 1 CG X-Treme, not sure about Timneys. How light can you get them?
    Rifle Basix Extended Range Varmint trigger might be a good option, Sinclair has those.
    Longrifles Inc. 6Creed, 28" HV Bart, X-treme S/S action,T4 Manners, 8-32 Sightron Tac w/2MOA reticle, TPS 30mm rings, CG 2 stage trigger.
    Longrifles Inc 6 Creed, trued 700 action, 26" HV Bart, T2 manners, Jewell trigger, TPS rings and 20moa base, Sightron 10-50x60mm.
    700 SPSS 308, H-S stock, Jewell trigger, 6-24 Sig. TPS rings & 20moa base.

Mr. 7mm
    Follows
    Following
    X mark pro - can be tuned up and made respectable but not great. Reliable in field conditions

40x - can be tuned for a nice crisp 1.5lb or more. Reliable in field conditions

Timney 510 - very crisp, nice feel. Wouldn't trust one under ~1lb. Quite reliable in the field

Jewell - can be made "bench safe" down to 1.5-2.0oz, and field safe at 1lb+. Not terribly reliable in the field and must be kept clean... I've never been able to get these to provide a really clean, crisp break.

CG Extreme - Can be adjusted down to at least 1lb, and is field safe if adjusted correctly. Excellent and clean let off, but lacks an over travel limiter adjustment. Not sure how field reliable they are. Mine has survived rain, cold and some dirt...but I don't think I've thoroughly tested it.
    Last edited by turbo54; 04-03-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo54 View Post
    X mark pro - can be tuned up and made respectable but not great. Reliable in field conditions

Jewell - can be made "bench safe" down to 1.5-2.0oz, and field safe at 1lb+. Not terribly reliable in the field and must be kept clean... I've never been able to get these to provide a really clean, crisp break.

CG Extreme - Can be adjusted down to at least 1lb, and is field safe if adjusted correctly. Excellent and clean let off, but lacks an over travel limiter adjustment. Not sure how field reliable they are. Mine has survived rain, cold and some dirt...but I don't think I've thoroughly tested it.
    Tom adjusted mine at 11oz, wouldnt mind it lighter but it'll do.
    Longrifles Inc. 6Creed, 28" HV Bart, X-treme S/S action,T4 Manners, 8-32 Sightron Tac w/2MOA reticle, TPS 30mm rings, CG 2 stage trigger.
    Longrifles Inc 6 Creed, trued 700 action, 26" HV Bart, T2 manners, Jewell trigger, TPS rings and 20moa base, Sightron 10-50x60mm.
    700 SPSS 308, H-S stock, Jewell trigger, 6-24 Sig. TPS rings & 20moa base.

Mr. 7mm
    Follows
    Following
    While setting up my CG Xtreme (which is a serious process the first time), I found that ~1lb was the mimimum for ME and how I wanted the 1st stage/2nd stage to FEEL.

I want the first stage to feel "springy" and not vague/floppy, which requires a bit of spring preload.

I want a very distinct "wall" when I come up on the second stage, which means the second stage must have a somewhat significant increase in preload over stage one.

This required me to end up with a total pull weight ~1lb maybe a little more. Not that it can't be set lower, but because of the feel I was going after.

Tom, if your'e reading this, you *really* oughtta add a provision for an overtravel stop on these triggers.

I still prefer my TRG trigger's feel over the CG by a slim margin, but the CG is excellent.

Seeking...
    Follows
    Following
    I have the Timney 517 (Straight Trigger Shoe), and I like it very much. Purchase directly from Timney, and have the set the pull weight for you. I boogered mine up when installing it. I sent it in, and they repaired it free of charge. I'm currently running mine at 2.5lb. I could probably go down to 2lb, but that's about it for me. I have zero complaints about the trigger. Keep in mind, however, the trigger shoe is very wide. Some stocks (i.e. Manners with Mini-chassis) may require a fitting for the trigger shoe.

Chip

BWB
    Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Thanks for the information guys!