Thread: Ruger M77 MKII .270

Private
    Follows
    Following

Ruger M77 MKII .270

A ruger m77 mk2 came into my local shop today. It's solid black skeletal stock with gloss bluing on the barrel and action Nikkon scope. The NIB price is 550 we gave 300. The owner of the shop my very good friend and whom I work for in my spare time asked me if I wanted it at cost which I said sure. Came home to ask the wife and you guys. I own a Remington 788 243, Winchester 670 30-06 both I love. If I bring home this ruger in 270 do you think it will be any better than my other rifles or will I have 3 of basically the same rifles. Yes guys I know they are 3 totally different calibers yes I know they are all made by different companies. But would you buy it? Out of the 3 the 270 ballistics look better on paper.
    A dagger in the dark is better than an army in the morning.

El Comodin
    Follows
    Following
    Blog Entries

Re: Ruger M77 MKII .270

I'm not sure where you are getting that .270 ballistics are better than '06, or .243 for that matter. But, a .270 is a fine caliber, and the M77 is a fine enough rifle, I suppose for the average hunting situation it would be a great tool to have.
    "The first shot, is worth all the rest " My Dad.
    my 223 build CBM#1

Like DTA? Watch This:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EMHsIJLk3c

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Better? For what? Hunting, sure go for it.Long range or precision shooting ? Much better rifles to start with.$300 isn't bad but that's about all it's worth.
    Let's just set fire to everything and go the hell home...
    Remember...never get in ANYTHING, it could close up and trap you!
    NO TRY Daniel-san...DO!

Private
    Follows
    Following

Cold the "better ballistics" I was talking about is basically the 270 shoots flatter than the 30-06 and better energy numbers than the 243. Just to give them a fair look I looked all 3 up on the Remington website and compared them to each other. I know I know the 30-06 is awesome and I'm in love with my 243 so I'm not saying 270 is best. Exhog I just got back into deer hunting and have been shooting long range for a few years now. I rode the Remington 700 train for a while and I still own a savage fcp10 with an hs stock. Being in the military 7.62x51 is the standard but I've found a lot of rounds shoot flatter and IMO the round that shoots flatter is better for me. I was always the one to b!@$h about how much the 308 drops yes yes I know it has proven itself and I've done everything with it. The less adjustment is what's better for me. Thanks guys
    A dagger in the dark is better than an army in the morning.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

No comparison for .270/.243- apples and oranges. .270 vs. 30-06, and average velocities in factory ammo might go to the .270 but the .30-06 wins the versatility debate. you have a far greater selection of bullet weights and bullet variety than the .270 can ever hope to achieve.
    You got a nice rifle at a great deal, shoot it and be happy.
    'I'm with you Mr Hat, I sure could go for some smokin' hot poon tang myself' - Mr Garrison