Thread: bolt won't close on go guage

PCR
    Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

bolt won't close on go guage

just got it back from smith. trued M700, new barrel chambered in 243. Got it home and it won't close on a go guage but will chamber new win brass.

Question is, although he told me it was a tight chamber... Is this unsafe?, unacceptable?
    Bradley Johns, Owner/07ffl
    Phoenix Custom Rifles, LLC
    www.phoenixcustomrifles.com
    Keith 480-467-8090 Brad 480-747-0528

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Re: bolt won't close on go guage

It's not unsafe but, it is too tight. I prefer to have a slight felt resistance when closing the bolt on a go. He probably set the headspace while in the Lathe at .0000" or +.001". When he tightened the barrel he lost the headspace, it became too short for the go. It's an easy fix for him, he won’t even have to put it back in the lathe. Just spin the reamer by hand to remove just a sliver of metal, maybe .0005" to .001"

PCR
    Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Thanks William. That'll help me in my conversation with him tomorrow.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Good luck.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

That is not a real problem for hand loading . If it will chamber factory brass with a minimum head space then it will be fine.
    However if you use factory ammo another brand may not chamber.
    I like min. head space because brass does not stretch much on firing. If you get some other brand cases that dont fit just bump them a small amount in a body die.

Private
    Follows
    Following

I was present when my smith installed my used 7stw barrel to a donor action, the bolt would not quite close on a go gauge but brass chambered effortlessly, It is one of the most accurate rifles I own. Im not sure if there would be a difference between belted magnum and standard rimless cartridges though. If the brass chambers easy I would shoot it and go from there, I cant see it being unsafe but when you go to reload I would think there might be a chance that your full length dies might not be able to set the shoulder back far enough for future loadings??

Good luck,
    John

PCR
    Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Quote "I would think there might be a chance that your full length dies might not be able to set the shoulder back far enough for future loadings??"

That's was a concern that i had too.

I put the go back in and this time was able to close the bolt with a little more pressure. Didn't gaul(sp)the lugs but I won't do it again.

PCR
    Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Quote "I like min. head space because brass does not stretch much on firing. If you get some other brand cases that don't fit just bump them a small amount in a body die."

Sounds like if I get an additional body die, I could live with it... but the question is, should I?

I think ask I'll ask him to shave enough to close on the go.

Private
    Follows
    Following

The amount you are describing can be nothing more than the actual length of your gage compared to your smith's.

I once bought 3 zero HS gages for 308, at the same time, from the same MFG. and no two where the same. One was -.0003, one was dead nuts, and the other was +.0004 I do not buy from that Co any more.
    it's not rocket science, but it's getting close

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

If you are concerned with accuracy you should be using a body die anyway for a bolt gun. Seperate the neck sizing from the body sizing and cases will fit better and last longer .
    Hell its not recommended but you can also body size and shoulder bump a live round a small amount in an emergency.
    " LIVE with it ? " Hell I demand it . Cases stretching each time they fire destroys accuracy and the case life.
    Most reloaders fireform then try to preserve the neat case fit as much as possible. Standard old Full length dies destroy this fit . S type dies are better and seperating the two sizing operations witha body die is better again , more flexable.
    I recently fitted a pre chambered new barrel to a 30-06 of mine and to get a good minimum headspace I had to take .008 off the shoulder and barrel face . Now its a nice minimum head space . The cases dont stretch at all or expand more than .001 .
    You can also get small base body dies for most calibers . These size a bit tighter at the base than standard size body dies.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

How your dies work with your fired brass is the main concern. I do not like "zero" headspaced chambers.
    Shoot 1000 yards Oak Ridge Sportsman Association http://orsahp.com/default.aspx Monday 1000 yard practice show up by 4:30 first shot downrange at 5:00

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: Old Eyes
    The amount you are describing can be nothing more than the actual length of your gage compared to your smith's.

What he said.

You'll likely find when you take this rifle back to the smith that it closes on his gauge.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: fireball168

What he said.

You'll likely find when you take this rifle back to the smith that it closes on his gauge.

And if it does, I'd load & shoot until the cows came home.

Private
    Follows
    Following

I think the Gunsmith did you a favor with a minimum chamber; it should give you the best accuracy and best brass life possible from your rifle. The only reason I can think of to want a larger chamber is if you were using the rifle under field conditions that precluded proper cleaning and you had a pressing need to be able to fire even over size cartridges.

Remember that the headspace does not get smaller with use, only larger.

Good shooting
    Ron

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

What he said.

That's why you get gages from the same company that makes the reamer. Forster and all those stand alone "sizing" gages can be just a little different. They might work just fine for factory chambers but I wouldn't recommend them for a custom chamber.

Private
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: HateCA

What he said.

That's why you get gages from the same company that makes the reamer. Forster and all those stand alone "sizing" gages can be just a little different. They might work just fine for factory chambers but I wouldn't recommend them for a custom chamber.

What he said.
    Speed is Fine...Accuracy is Final