Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SHIPPING Warning for all

Follows
    Following

Exclamation SHIPPING Warning for all

Just an FYI if you are shipping Bullets, ammo or anything that is Ammo related in its original box - Stuff is going missing and/or damaged and/or all of the above via (removed brown shipper).

Make Sure you have the pkg Insured for the full amount. The climate is ripe for continued funny business and is unfortunate.

Protect yourself and the buyer - insure

Recipients - take pictures and DON'T alter the pkg any more than necessary. An agent from the shipper must visually inspect the pkg to make a final ruling for the claim.

Wolf

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    UPS will rarely pay anything that is insured. They will find faults in the packages, tape, dimensions weight etc and that is usually enough to avoid paying an insurance claim. The insurance in a package is usually enough to convince the actual workers that its valuable enough that insurance is placed and thus gets "lost" these days its very discouraging to ship things out!!

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Just got a check from UPS from a claim that has been going on for 3 months...tried to tell me it was my fault for not shipping in a hard container.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    I bought some ammo from Bass pro, and they shipped it fed-ex, and When it arrived the box was empty. It was insured, and after filling out fed-exs paperwork they did nothing. Luckily bass pro took care of it, and shipped me some more ammo.

Online Training Member
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the heads up. I got another 1000 rds of 308 on the way soon. Hope she makes it.
    Don't tread on me.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    UPS stores will tell you that if they do not package the item that the insurance may not cover it.
    We all live and die. It's, what you do in between that counts.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ltfirehunter View Post
    UPS stores will tell you that if they do not package the item that the insurance may not cover it.
    Yep.., I've lost confidence in all the carriers, FedEx was almost on point all the time until it happened to me..

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I have heard three horror stories already about ammo going missing. Two of them were lost between the time it made it on the truck and the time it was delivered. Both packages went missing with 10,000 rounds of 22LR in each. The one the shipper didn't insure, I believe UPS covers up $100 automatically. Either way it has been an ongoing problem with no resolution. Good luck!

Dickhole
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, my barrel disappeared with UPS recently also. They delivered an empty tube that had been closed back up after some dirtbag stole the barrel out of it. I've never had anything but problems with UPS. Surprisingly the Post Office has been the most reliable for me.

FedEx broke a $1300 guitar amplifier I shipped one time, but paid the whole amount with no hassle at all, just a little paperwork.

Edited to add: my barrel was from MidwayUSA who took care if it immediately and issued a refund and said they'd get their money back from UPS. Couldn't be happier with the way MidwayUSA handled it. Glad I didn't have to wait on UPS to issue a check, I've heard they never pay out.
    Last edited by RyeDaddy; 03-25-2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Added info
    WWTJD?

Private
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by RyeDaddy View Post
    Yeah, my barrel disappeared with UPS recently also. They delivered an empty tube that had been closed back up after some dirtbag stole the barrel out of it. I've never had anything but problems with UPS. Surprisingly the Post Office has been the most reliable for me.
    USPS delivered an empty barrel tube to me that was insured.

Been fighting with them since December for the insurance that is owed on it.
    I'm on my 2nd appeal and I'm about ti give up.
    They find the stupidest things to deny your claim.
    1st it is a banned item. Really a barrel is banned.
    2nd receipt and receipt for shipping and insurance not good enough,
    Really?? The printed out receipt from Click to Ship and the original shipping label off the tube is not good enough.
    The receipt from PayPal with the amount is not good enough???
    What else can I send!! Damn USPS con artists, why sell insurance if you're not going to honor it...

Sorry for the rant, just had to vent!!

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I recently ordered a large amount of brass it shipped via USPS priority mail with tracking. I was supposed to have it in 3 days but ended up being over 3 weeks. When I received it the box was damaged it looked like someone had played soccer with it. It was so bad I had to go to the post office and pick it up. I asked why it took so long and the Post Master told me he had received an e-mail in regards to the 3 packages stating that they had reason to believe it contained loaded ammo so at each sorting facility they opened it up and inspected it yeah AT EACH SORTING FACILITY. Needless to say it was short about 1,000. It was insured but no luck getting anywhere with it they said it weighed to much for a priority box and should have been shipped in a better box and that's when I told them that they should change their slogan that states " if it fit's it ships "

KYS
    BBN #1
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ltfirehunter View Post
    If you are using a UPS Store to ship firearms and ammo you are going to get burned in the first place. They are not allowed to ship "hazardous" items. They are chain stores that people have to buy into to carry the UPS name. They assume all responsibility and you would actually have to take the owner to court to collect on insurance claims from them. UPS does not back them up financially.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    Thats why I have started using UPS hub stations instead of UPS stores. I mainly use USPS on just about everything.
    We all live and die. It's, what you do in between that counts.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    Just received 2,000 bullets shipped USPS/Priority, one heavy box! But was good to go.
    "10TH Mountain Division" "Climb to Glory Sir!"

*************TEAM HAVOC SPONSORS****************************
    T&J TACTICAL LLC******MAXTAC TARGETS**********HAWK HILL CUSTOMS

BANGSTEEL.COM*******TARGETCAM.NET********NEW ERA SHOOTERS SUPPLY
    ****************WWW.TRITON ARMS.COM**************************

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    I have a FedEx hub near me and use them and the USPS mainly. UPS flat out sucks and I avoid them like the plaque. USPS is great for the flat rate box shipping.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor & RSO
    NRA Life

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cal50 View Post
    I have a FedEx hub near me and use them and the USPS mainly. UPS flat out sucks and I avoid them like the plaque. USPS is great for the flat rate box shipping.
    UPS lost me a while back because they really have a poor attitude. USPS is worse than them but mostly they can get your package to the right place without trashing it; well there was that one time........
    Fedex had been super until about a month ago. All I can say is when the F up it is a real winner. Good thing about them is I am really close to a hub and the fact that they can usually ship things quicker.
    The wind is not your friend.....unless you just farted.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Missing a new SOTA 300 B/O upper as we speak (shipped in Texas 9 days ago). The shipper hasn't located the tracking number. USPS.

I have only lost one other thing in the last 10 years.

I am not happy or even slightly amused.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I shipped a box of 1,000 55gr FMJs to a gentleman a few months back.. He called me upset about his package being destroyed. I sent it via USPS Small Flat Rate. The box had two strips of tape length wise and two strips width wise. I also had two sandwich bags inside, each with 500. These bags were rolled and taped. The box was then stuffed with newspaper to make sure that nothing was bouncing around too crazy.. He called me and told me the box had been delivered with one side completely ripped open and there was only one bag inside that had "exploded" and he only received 2XX bullets.

If you are a shooter, you know what is making those sounds inside the box. Even if they guessed wrong, they could seal the box back up. The fact that an entire bag was missing and the other details he gave, made me think automatically that someone got into the bag and took out the contents. We settled a deal to make the situation right, but it is still frustrating that something like that would happen. I have been trying to order as little as possible offline due to the fact of people stealing and opening packages.

This is becoming absolutely ridiculous.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Yup, I've never had a problem with any carrier prior to about a couple months ago. I got some of the Molon Labe postcards. several hundred were shipped in a large envelope and when I got the envelope it was sliced length wise down the side and all the contents were gone. WTF, it wasn't even taped up or anything. It was pretty depressing but could have been much worse.
    Savage 12 flv 6.5 Creedmoor CBI barrel, Vortex Viper PST 6-24, Manners T4a, CDI bottom metal with Alpha mags.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    If it is rather valuable, send it FedEx Priority overnight with Adult signature required and only ship Monday to Thursday. Use packages that look as ordinary as possible & make sure nothing can rattle or move.
    While that is not a perfect solution, it's what the gold sellers use in order to make sure as much as possible gets to the destination intact.

Private
    Follows
    Following

Just got a box of lapua 170gr lock base bullets from midway, and when I opened the package the lapua box was completely smashed open and the bullets were all floating around free in the package. Just chalked it up to bad handling and didn't think much of it till this thread. I better go count and make sure there all there.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Thieves make me SICK.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I've been shipping some high dollar shit through UPS lately and I tell you, my stomach is in knots until it arrives. Paid $180 to overnight a shotgun to a guy last week with insurance. I have a DTA SRS in transit now using them. Urghhh. I bought a Robinson Arms XCR from a guy once and the stock was broke when it arrived but he had insurance. UPS made it right.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    Ordered 500 .308 SMKs, shipped via USPS, arrived at the local station "package broken, contents spilling". It was obvious the package was ripped open and someone had stuffed everything back inside. 550 SMKs were there.
    Several times I've shipped boxes with $50K in hardware overnight via FedEx with no problems at all, never insuring for >$100 standard rate. I have made loss claims with industrial equipment and FedEx paid promptly.

UPS lost my business >15 years ago with a string of missed next day air deliveries where I could tell they didn't give a rat's ass that the delivery was late.

Seems the mules they use do check. "Oh, gun related - I can sell this!" Meanwhile, they cannot tell what a spool of platinum wire looks like....
    Remember when gas hit $1/gallon and EVERYONE had locking gas caps? Now I find most cars I rent do not have locking gas doors nor locking gas caps.....

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Smile A better way of packing bullets you are sending

The picture show my effective packaging for bullets.

I make a wooden/plywood box that fits inside a flat rate box.

It has worked for me.

carl
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If it doesn't shoot, it's not worth having.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by KYS338 View Post
    If you are using a UPS Store to ship firearms and ammo you are going to get burned in the first place. They are not allowed to ship "hazardous" items. They are chain stores that people have to buy into to carry the UPS name. They assume all responsibility and you would actually have to take the owner to court to collect on insurance claims from them. UPS does not back them up financially.
    Screw UPS stores. Here's how you do it. Open an account with UPS via UPS.com. You can then go in and greate your own shipping labels, pay for it via a debit/credit card, and schedule UPS to com pick the package up from your HOUSE for a small fee. You can also just hand the box to a UPS driver you see out and about in his truck. Lastly, you can hand the box to the UPS Store clerk. Just tell the clerk it is ready to go and they will hold it until UPS comes to pick up the packages. If they ask, and you're shipping gun related parts/ammo, tell them it's auto parts or something. Painless and easy.
    WTF, over...

NRA Life Member

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    I received a damaged rifle from the "other guys not in a brown truck." That was 1.5 years ago. I would like to say I am still waiting for my insurance, but that would be creating more false hope. The insurance bit is a difficult obstacle to overcome, not entirely impossible, but an act of congress, nonetheless.

KYS
    BBN #1
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by fmrabnmp View Post
    Screw UPS stores. Here's how you do it. Open an account with UPS via UPS.com. You can then go in and greate your own shipping labels, pay for it via a debit/credit card, and schedule UPS to com pick the package up from your HOUSE for a small fee. You can also just hand the box to a UPS driver you see out and about in his truck. Lastly, you can hand the box to the UPS Store clerk. Just tell the clerk it is ready to go and they will hold it until UPS comes to pick up the packages. If they ask, and you're shipping gun related parts/ammo, tell them it's auto parts or something. Painless and easy.
    That is what I do, but you need to avoid a UPS Store at all costs. If they somehow find out what you're shipping and you lie to them, they can refuse the package and just let it float around for awhile. Then when you call to find out why it's not moving they will lie right back to you. I have had it happen to me, then I wised up and started taking the packaged straight to the UPS Hub that was local to me.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    Insurance pay off from UPS is all about how big a customer you are. I shipped a $600 item insured through my employers UPS account, a few years back, and when it arrived at its destination completely destroyed, I had to file a claim. In a phone discussion with the UPS customer service rep I got the usual array of questions about what type of packing material, what kind of tape etc.. I could tell this was headed toward the packaging was insufficient and claim denied. When she finally got around to looking up our account history her tune immediately changed and she got all cheerful and said, "we will be glad to honor the insurance claim and should have the check out to you right away". Surprise, surprise
    It is worth remembering these timeless words John Stuart Mill: "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse."

Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Paratus, et Fidelis!

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I have used UPS here recently to ship a shit load of ammo. I had been using my local UPS store until they found out they couldn't receive ammo shipments. Now I go to the main hub. All my packages are clearly labeled ORM-D, and so far every one of them has arrived intact. I do make sure that other than the ORM-D label there are no other identifying markings that would clearly scream that the package contains ammunition though.
    "Do not go onto the firing line with a Jim Beam bottle full of iced tea."
    -Piccolo-

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by mtang45 View Post
    Insurance pay off from UPS is all about how big a customer you are. I shipped a $600 item insured through my employers UPS account, a few years back, and when it arrived at its destination completely destroyed, I had to file a claim. In a phone discussion with the UPS customer service rep I got the usual array of questions about what type of packing material, what kind of tape etc.. I could tell this was headed toward the packaging was insufficient and claim denied. When she finally got around to looking up our account history her tune immediately changed and she got all cheerful and said, "we will be glad to honor the insurance claim and should have the check out to you right away". Surprise, surprise
    This is the only reason I was paid for my claim, I told them they could cancel my account with our business if they didn't make it right. Attitudes totally changed

Private
    Follows
    Following
    Fedex is no better then any other carrier. I had 2 DBAL-I2 stolen out of the package. 3 in the boxes but only 1 remain in the box after it was delivered. The box has no damage just the items taken out and repackaged. I am not sure why they only took 2 out of 3 DBAL there but that cost me over 1.8K.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

So there I was on the hide last night reading this article about 7pm pst waiting for UPS to arrive with my rifle from Kreiger. It was like I was a kid again watching scary movies and checking under my bed! It arrived a little late but in one piece and with all my extra parts. I agree UPS sucks. I have never had a issue with the USPS.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    They all suck!!

I sent out a Tikka about a month ago to WA. The box literally had footprints on it. The factory block foam was nothing but beads. They are destroying gun products on purpose!!!! I wish I could get my hands on the trash doing this.

Private
    Follows
    Following
    I just received a package from Haley Strategic and it was open already. (Actually my wife received it) and she said it was already open when it arrived.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    I find it best to read this post right before bed and shipping out a high dollar item the night before....sweet dreams
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klzZs...eature=related
    ...for those of us who must endure keyboard Commandos

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SNIPERS4DUMMIES View Post
    I find it best to read this post right before bed and shipping out a high dollar item the night before....sweet dreams
    Lol. Yeah, I'm sending out a couple packages today. Thanks for the worries guys! I'm feeling really good right now...

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I'm in the industry (broker) and would say either send packages via express rather than ground (pm me for a good FedEx overnight or 2 day rate) or buy enough to justify truck freight (ltl up to about 500lbs will go most anywhere from $100-150).
    As for insurance, best to just avoid that hurdle with proper packaging. Don't be afraid of some luan (4x8 sheet for $10 at Lowes) to line a cardboard box, use a heavy enough box, keep it from jingling, and tape the snot out of it.

Online Training Member
    Follows
    Following

Great I just bought a Vortex Razor HD from a hide member and am now scared shitless. Thanks guys.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by Shoottothrill View Post
    Great I just bought a Vortex Razor HD from a hide member and am now scared shitless. Thanks guys.
    Keep in mind we only hear about the bad deals, there are countless good deals for each bad deal, I don't hop online every time I get a package that is as it should be and say "great job usps/FedEx/UPS"
    Mix your evening beverage and kick back, you'll likely be just fine

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantA View Post
    Keep in mind we only hear about the bad deals, there are countless good deals for each bad deal, I don't hop online every time I get a package that is as it should be and say "great job usps/FedEx/UPS"
    Mix your evening beverage and kick back, you'll likely be just fine
    Yes, very true. I was only kidding...except I too have had the occasional bad experience (can you say brown?). One tends to remember the bad experiences with any particular vendor...truth.

Private
    Follows
    Following
    USPS in the last 2-years has lost two of my money orders in letters to pay for gun parts, I paid the fee to find and stop one letter, after 4-months USPS paid me back, 6-months later a USPS letter informed me someone cashed the money order and they want me to pay USPS back
    Original MO and fee + fee to find and stop pay + (MO repay + fine, refused to pay), USPS takes IRS refund!
    I send as package w/ track for every thing now to keep USPS workers honest

Online Training Member
    Follows
    Following

I'm going to send my tax check to the government UPS. Ha Ha!

Private
    Follows
    Following

Glad I didn't see this thread yesterday when I was blissfully to my FFL to retrieve my Surgeon that had just got in... I would have expected have a boxload of nothing.

I had been wondering why they sealed the shit out of the case they sent it in with big zip ties. Now I know!

Private
    Follows
    Following

I order some IRS tax forms from the IRS at the end of 2012( 1099, w-2), well I received them in 6 days, not by USPS but by UPS, believe it or not, the postal serivice is going broke and they ship Govt forms by UPS. I am always nervous when I purchase something thru the HIde and send a USPS MO, Impossible to stop payment in time and to receive a refund if lost or stolen, can not understand why buyers are so vehemenent on Postal MO. Hell, take my check and send me the item after it has cleared, If I need it sooner then I could wire the funds. If my check is lost or stolen I can always stop payment and if someone else cashes it then they must show proof of ID, which protects to some extent fraudulent endorsements and the liability goes back to the payees bank. Try that with a MONEY ORDER or USPS MO, won't work as well as personal check.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by Shoottothrill View Post
    I'm going to send my tax check to the government UPS. Ha Ha!
    Good luck finding a physical addresses, remember-they're family to the usps. UPS (same as FedEx) can't deliver to PO boxes. oh well...

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I had a barrel shipped out lost after leaving my post office. I dont understand how something with a tracking number gets lost. I had to refund the money but hope I eventually get the barrel back. Probably sitiing in some shit balls kitchen being used as a door stop

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    Man, I hope my AICS makes it.
    Cpl. USMC 1997-2002
    SRT Designated Marksman
    SRT school 2000
    Dynamic Assault school (Explosive breacher) 2000
    LASO SWAT school 2000
    LAPD SWAT school 2001

Law Enforcement Officer and firearms trainer.

Private
    Follows
    Following
    This is how the mail delivery works in Russia:

DTA SRS 308 conv Bushnell XRS Horus H-59

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast