Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1000-Yard SKS

Private
    Follows
    Following

1000-Yard SKS

Long story short, can this be done? If not, what modifications can be done to make this rifle have a 2" MOA at 100 yards. The close I can get to 1", the better.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Re: 1000-Yard SKS

well really there's not much you can do to make anything shoot a 2" MOA at 100 yds, being that one MOA is 1.0475" at 100yds. Other than that maybe someone will chime in on accurizing an SKS
    There's a message in my trail boss....it says "ooooooooo."

Private
    Follows
    Following

I know 1000 yards can be done, I just want to know the modifications I would have to make to get it done. Thanks for the reply.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Just out of curiosity what is next on your list of things to do, drag racing a Ford Ranger? What you are suggesting is to use a tool that was never designed to accomplish the task you are talking about.
    Sum dominus fati: sed sum princeps meae.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: Longshot38
    Just out of curiosity what is next on your list of things to do, drag racing a Ford Ranger? What you are suggesting is to use a tool that was never designed to accomplish the task you are talking about.

I have to agree!!!

Private
    Follows
    Following

Actually I'm putting a 5.8L crate motor into an F-150 but close enough. Change the topic up a little bit, what about a Mosin-Nagant? Seriously, I know that is a 1000 yard rifle, how can I increase accuracy on that?

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I've seen a canon that could sling an sks a thousand yards. But why would you
    want to ruin a perfectly good trainer?

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Give Red Jacket a call, I'm sure they can hook you up with a real "game changer".

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: jpace94
    Actually I'm putting a 5.8L crate motor into an F-150 but close enough. Change the topic up a little bit, what about a Mosin-Nagant? Seriously, I know that is a 1000 yard rifle, how can I increase accuracy on that?

You seem to be missing my point. Sure you can get the bullet out of either a SKS or a Mosin-Nagant to reach the 1000 yard mark but accuracy might be a question. But my question is if you are going to spend money upgrading a rifle for this kind of work why would you spend the money to bastardize such rifles as you mention when better tools exist that will get the job done better.

And no dropping a big ass mother in a truck is not what my comment was saying at all. My point was simple. Sure you can dump a bunch of money into a pick-up and make it preform like a race car but then you have to ask yourself why you purchased a pick-up when you wanted a race car.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

well since the 7.62x39 in a SKS goes subsonic at less than 500 yards good luck

Moisen Nagant 7.62x54R will do 1000 yards supersonic

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: ida83704
    well since the 7.62x39 in a SKS goes subsonic at less than 500 yards good luck

Moisen Nagant 7.62x54R will do 1000 yards supersonic

SKS if you shoot it like a cannon then the bullet will make it to the 1000 yard mark. But accuracy will suck.

7.62.54R is capable but the quality of Mosin-Nagants is hit and miss. But cartridge is capable the rifles are a crap shoot but cheap. Back to my point why spend that kind of money on either of the rifles when you would be far better off to just build a rifle that you know is capable and right the first time.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: jpace94
    I know 1000 yards can be done, I just want to know the modifications I would have to make to get it done. Thanks for the reply.

The best modification would try 1000 with another rifle besides the sks LOL. There OK out to 300. Inside 150 they are better.

The nagant can do it. Hex receiver models made before 1939 the 1929 to 1939 models are better quality since they where produced before the war and where not rushed and quality steps where not skipped. There are sniper models which have a more accurate barrel and where hand picked. They will get you 1.5 moa and some under 1 moa if your lucky. Here is a site about the Mosin_Nagant1891/30 Sniper http://www.snipercentral.com/mosin.htm

The 7.56x54r round is good for 1000, but finding good consistent and quality ammo for 1000 in 7.56x54r will not be easy.
    When the 2nd Amendment speaks of a “well-regulated militia,” it means local groups of individuals operating to protect their own families, homes, and communities. The Founders themselves wrote in the Federalist papers about the need for individuals to be armed. Ron Paul

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Please tell me, for the love of all things good and holy, that you are so bored with shooting a "normal" rifle at 1000 yards that this 1000 SKS question is just to burn time. OR that you are making fun of Red Jacket. PLEASE
    Jeo556

know guns, Know Peace, Know Safety
    No Guns, No Peace, No Safety

R.I.P. Dad. I'll miss you.
    Sniper's Hide Search Engine

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I'm going to throw my Bender 5-25 into a 45 moa mount on my Benelli m4, and then shoot it at 1000 yards. With birdshot.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

oh for fucks sakes

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: bm11
    I'm going to throw my Bender 5-25 into a 45 moa mount on my Benelli m4, and then shoot it at 1000 yards. With birdshot.

A 2 MOA brah?

El Comodin
    Follows
    Following
    Blog Entries

No seriously, all you need to upgrade it is change out the stock, get rid of the SKS reciever,get a good one, put a good barrel on it,chambered in a better cartridge, a quality trigger, buy some good sights(iron or otherwise) then shoot the shit out of it till your skills exceed the capability of the rifle, then start over.

I love my SKS, it works as a great monopod for my camera.Just stick the bayonet in the ground and camera on the square butt of the rifle.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

What is the BC of a 1 ounce rifled slug? I'd like to figure out if I have enough holdover.

Private
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: Rino251
    Give Red Jacket a call, I'm sure they can hook you up with a real "game changer".

lol...that's the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw this thread...
    To conduct yourself with honor is not always easy. Sometimes the way of honor will seem foolish to those that have none. Nevertheless, without honor, there is no victory. With honor, there is no real defeat.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

He's a noob that doesn't understand ballistics or what it takes to be accurate, cut him a little slack..... except for Bolt, he never will, and that's okay too!! LOL
    Do -or- Dream

"Operators in the community will tell you that the enemy always has a vote...I will tell you that if a Surgeon is dialed in on that enemy- his vote doesn't matter."
    -Special Forces Sniper

MLC
    Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Rebarrel it to 6.5 Grendel for bragging rights.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I have a head/shoulders silhouette at 500yds. that I can clang regularly with my SKS and irons. That's about all the sights will do with my eyes. My friends were amazed because they had always considered the SKS a 100-150yd. max piece.

The others are right in that a SKS or MN is not the way to get to 1000. People who do it regularly with capable equipment make it look so effortless that the uniniated think they can jump right in with whatever and do it too. That is always a problem when a capable person makes a difficult task look easy.

If 1000 is your goal start with better equipment. AG

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

This is how you can shoot an SKS at a target 1000yd away with absolutely no modifications and achieve a very high accuracy.

Orwell was an optimist.

Cunning Linguist
    Follows
    Following

You know guys, for a bunch of ass kicking shooters you haven't told him the easy way to do it.
    Stop stringing him around...

Step 1) Pull the bullet out of the round
    Step 2) Dump the powder
    Step 3) Fill to the rim with your favorite pistol powder
    Step 4) Tap the bullet back into the case (even if you hear crunching)
    Step 5) Enjoy your now 1000 yard 3/8 MOA capable SKS

Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER
    oh for fucks sakes

By the way, he wrote that not to insult you, but because everyone here knows BOLTRIPPER is the official Sniper's Hide "Outside The Box" expert.
    Send him a pm, and he'll discuss it in great depth with you. If you include your number and ask nicely, he'll probably call you.

My Savage .308 thanks to:
    30calsniper
    Cheese
    Force_Multiplier
    Tom Manners
    RussW1911®

I don't attack retarded new members. I just give them very dangerous advice.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: Wolvenhaven
    This is how you can shoot an SKS at a target 1000yd away with absolutely no modifications and achieve a very high accuracy.

I think your rings are a little on the high side...................also did removing the bayonet improve your barrel harmonics?

Private
    Follows
    Following

ummm if this guy isnt dead by now. Mega cab was JUST KIDDING!

using pistol powder in a rifle will kaboom it 9 out of 10 times.

good luck

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

11 times out of 10. Don't do it. Also, 5 out of 4 people are bad with fractions.
    Molon Labe
    NRA Life Member
    I support the right to arm bears
    Warning: Objects in scope may be closer than they appear.

El Comodin
    Follows
    Following
    Blog Entries

Originally Posted By: fmelloni82

using pistol powder in a rifle will kaboom it 9 out of 10 times.
    . Um, there are hundreds if not thousands of members here who have shot untold thousands of rifle rounds containing pistol powders. If done properly fantastic results are in store.

This thread should probably die now, the OP has his answer.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

fuck, how you gonna keep that rig from swayin?
    Wather P-22
    Colt 1911 SS Kustom
    Remington 700BDL 7mm
    Beretta 12ga White Onx
    Remington 11-87 SP
    Rock River A4 Varmint 26"
    Colt 6700 Match Comp HBAR
    Springfield XDm 9mm compact
    Ruger 10-22 SS
    Ruger P-89
    Colt Mustang Pocketlite .380
    1947 Mongomery Ward Western Field 22lr

Harbinger of Sarcasm
    Follows
    Following

That's one of the funniest things I've seen on here yet. Thanks! Laughed hard.

Rich

JWV
    Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

You guys are all dumb, the SKS has been making 1000 yard shots for DECADES! Repeatedly. That is what my buddy CODFRK762 told me anyway.

Private
    Follows
    Following

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

In order to go out to 1000 yards, you would need a round with a flatter trajectory than the round fired by the SKS (7.62x39mm). At 1000 yards, hitting a target with an SKS would be like lobbing a basketball over your neighbor's 20 foot fence and hoping to hit the hoop on the other side. A lot of mathematics and variables are involved.

As another comment states, even if you hit your target, your projectile (bullet) is going so slow that it may be ineffective.

The SKS is a fine rifle when used within its parameters (max. effective range abbout 400 - 500 yards). However, no amount of money can make this a good shooter at 1000 yards.

In other words, there's nothing you can do to your SKS to make it shoot 1000 yards effectively. Plus, why butcher a beautiful rifle?
    "Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Harry S. Truman

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

@LawnMM, @JWV,

There's another way to shoot 1000 yards effectively from SKSs.

Line up 300 guys with SKSs and have them all shoot at the same time at a target 1000 yards away. Chances are, one of them will hit the target.
    "Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Harry S. Truman

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Ya'll do realize this is a gun forum right? I made the comparision to illustrate my point not to start a discussion. For information about drag racing I'd try a forum oriented to that.

Follows
    Following

.......Can I go back to sleep.............
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipYkuCZ2IYI

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: Rino251

Or just buy a Dremel, and a "Gunsmithing for Idiots" book and change the game yourself!

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: FordRangerFan101

"Originally posted by longshot38"
    Ya'll do realize this is a gun forum right? I made the comparision to illustrate my point not to start a discussion. For information about drag racing I'd try a forum oriented to that.

Actually his Ranger post was the best post of this whole thread and gave me a chuckle!
    Works Like a "Chimp"

" Ron Paul Revolution "
    __o__o_
    /_|o[____]o
    [1---1L-OllllllO-
    ()_)()_)=°°=)_)

Private
    Follows
    Following

I took a Ford F-150 to the IHRA Division 4 Modified Eliminator finals in 2000 and had a .4999 redlight and ran my dial-in with a 0 but even I would not try a SKS at a 1,000 yds and I have a small safe full. Doing things others can't (within reason) is fun but it is expensive.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

This may be the one time that bump firing will actually yield better results.
    Good transactions (bought and sold) with the following Good Guys:

http://forum.snipershide.com/firearm...tml#post818781

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I would just try to get the best load you can get for it. It will never be a tack driver.

If you have tones of cash I am sure with lots of trial and error you can get a rifle that truly shoots outstanding. Just look at what you can do with a M1 Garand.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

drag race a ford ranger this tread is funny as hell 1000 sks im all for the bump fire fix to the problem the 1000 straight down is just silly you cant let slow kidds stand by a cliff.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: fred3
    drag race a ford ranger this tread is funny as hell 1000 sks im all for the bump fire fix to the problem the 1000 straight down is just silly you cant let slow kidds stand by a cliff.

P.U.N.C.T.U.A.T.I.O.N. Without it, this sentence makes zero sense.

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Well FWIW I have seen a box stock SKS and tin can Chinese ammo go to 1K. It took 16 rounds and a pulled shot but the last three rounds holding top left corner of the target were X, 9, 10 fired by a first time high power shooter. I think his Agg was 243-1X but the 5 hour ride back from LeJune was a constant battle to see around his grin.

Cheers,

Doc
    CPO USN (Ret.)

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: doc76251
    Well FWIW I have seen a box stock SKS and tin can Chinese ammo go to 1K. It took 16 rounds and a pulled shot but the last three rounds holding top left corner of the target were X, 9, 10 fired by a first time high power shooter. I think his Agg was 243-1X but the 5 hour ride back from LeJune was a constant battle to see around his grin.

Cheers,

Doc

Can you explain how that is even possible with a cartridge dropping 815" from a 100yd zero, at 1000yds? Holding top left corner? Really? 300yds past sonic with a bullet that is not well suited to transition well. Really?
    Tell you what. You might not believe this but I saw Elvis at the Piggly Wiggly in Kinston NC 3 years ago buying 2 jars of peanut butter, a loaf of bread and a bunch of bananas. My story is far easier to believe by a rational person.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"askhole"-Definition: One who asks questions about a subject, of those with vast knowledge, and then does what he wants anyway.

"It's the "I just want to be in the game," budget-value-purchasing mentality. No telling what you'll see riding a Savage 110."-Enough Said

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following
    The Snobbiest Town in The Snobbiest State in the Northeast

A lot of the older rifles (certainly the Tula Arsenal SKS's) have Tangent Sights that are ramped out to 1000.

The tangent sights on my Ross rifles are ramped out to 2,000 yards. Even my old Snider Enfield .577 has an 800 YD tangent sight. And that thing is a pumpkin slinger. Both were designed at a time when raining lead down from volley fire was still considered a sound doctrine.

The SKS was designed just 30 years later than the Ross. And, remember, the Russians (and Chinese) saw quantity as having its own quality. Hundreds of marginal riflemen raining down lead from 1000 yards out was part of their philosophy. It's a good thing they didn't come through the Fulda Gap in the early '80s. It would not have been pretty.

Anyway, I don't doubt it's possible. Easy, no. Reliable, no. Best choice of firearms for 1000, no. But possible and plausible, most certainly!

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS. I've played with the tangent sights on the Ross rifles. They work pretty well!
    Quidvis recte factum quamvis humile praeclarum

Oderint dum metuant

"You went full nerd with that reference." Thanks, I will wear that as a badge of honor!

Gunny Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic
    A lot of the older rifles (certainly the Tula Arsenal SKS's) have Tangent Sights that are ramped out to 1000.

The tangent sights on my Ross rifles are ramped out to 2,000 yards. Even my old Snider Enfield .577 has an 800 YD tangent sight. And that thing is a pumpkin slinger. Both were designed at a time when raining lead down from volley fire was still considered a sound doctrine.

The SKS was designed just 30 years later than the Ross. And, remember, the Russians (and Chinese) saw quantity as having its own quality. Hundreds of marginal riflemen raining down lead from 1000 yards out was part of their philosophy. It's a good thing they didn't come through the Fulda Gap in the early '80s. It would not have been pretty.

Anyway, I don't doubt it's possible. Easy, no. Reliable, no. Best choice of firearms for 1000, no. But possible and plausible, most certainly!

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS. I've played with the tangent sights on the Ross rifles. They work pretty well!

I have owned an SKS. I know they have tangent sights, most old military rifles do have tangent sights, that however does not account for a consecutive 9, 10 and x ring hit with an SKS at 1000yds. Volley fire is not well aimed fire. Volley fire does not care that your bullet is unstable and subsonic, aimed fire however does indeed depend on some bullet stability. I question the very thought of any accuracy past the sonic zone with 123gr Chinese ball ammo. I am not doubting you can put 3 out of 16 shots in a sheet of plywood at 1000yds with an SKS, that is indeed plausible. Suggesting the last 3 rounds were in the center of the target? Now that is mythical.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"askhole"-Definition: One who asks questions about a subject, of those with vast knowledge, and then does what he wants anyway.

"It's the "I just want to be in the game," budget-value-purchasing mentality. No telling what you'll see riding a Savage 110."-Enough Said

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I am going shooting tomarow. I will get you know how many I can get on paper at 1k.

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

All I know is that I have learned the hard way not to poke fun at fugly equipment on the firing line!

The SKS might be the exception to that lesson! [img]<>/smile.gif[/img]

Near as I can figure the SKS will need 75-80MOA.
    Good luck!

Sergeant
    Follows
    Following

I was shooting a NHM91 at 600 yesterday. The wind was about 15 mph. If it was any less I would have gone to 800yds. That is as far as the sights adjust to so 1k looks to be out of the question.

I was shooting at a 200yd NM target not the 600yd target. I was aiming one full target frame plus a half. For those who have not seen a range setup for high power I was shooting on lane 10 and was aiming between lane 11 and 12 with out their targets being in place for a good reference. Once the pitts told me I was centered up I fired 15 shots without the target being pulled until the firing was done. All 15 shots hit on paper. They were strung from side to side but all pretty consistent for elevation.

I would think on a much calmer day with good ammo I can see it being done. Would it be pretty? Hell no. I will have to remember this thread and give it a shot when it gets warm out again. Hopefully I can have someplace to aim on the berm at 1,000yds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast